Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Didn't they say the remake added a mechanic where you can use the aesthetic of a previous class if you don't like the new one?

Because that is relevant to my interests with these 4th classes :colbert:

In the gameplay video that came out I think last week, there's a Costume tab on the Equipment page, so it seems like you can change outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a place with the 2nd and 3rd class designs?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I never really played all the way through SD3 despite emulating it years ago. How do the storylines work for the three characters you pick? I noticed they're grouped with antagonists--is it a good idea to pick one character from each grouping, or is it a better idea to pick a pair of characters and do their stories together?

Erpy posted:

The website. It has a character section where you can select the characters' classes and it'll show you a brief description and render of that class.

Oh drat I should've checked the official site lol

Thanks!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 17, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

timp posted:

You can pick a character whose kingdom is the aggressor or the character whose kingdom is being attacked. Opinions will probably vary on this, but I think it makes sense to choose both of the characters involved in a particular storyline to get both perspectives. I don't think you get to see very much of the storyline of your two followers, so picking one character from each story won't really give you great coverage of what's going on with their antagonists or kingdoms or whatever.

Ah okay, that sounds good. I just went back and edited because I realized it might make sense to pick a pair, too, so I'll go that way instead. Maybe Hawkeye, Riesz, and whatever third character seems like a fun complement to them in the party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One more team comp question: at least in the original version, does it matter much if you have a healer? I think I'm between Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin and Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela for my first run and the Angela option would leave me with nobody who has healing spells (assuming the spell lists are similar to the original game).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm thinking Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin is what I'm going to do for my first run. Assuming classes fill basically the same roles as the original game, I'm thinking Nightblade for Hawkeye, Star Lancer for Riesz, and Warrior Monk for Kevin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, I forgot the demo was coming today. Gonna play it as soon as I get some free time.

BioThermo posted:

I played the original multiple times through over the years with a whole bunch of team comps, including exactly this one, and I have to say, it felt the most min-maxed (at least for boss fights) of any team, although it's a drag until Kevin got healing. Hakweye/Riesz as your main character leads to the hardest final boss (but not the optional superboss for Duran/Angela's story) and that team absolutely chumps him.

:hellyeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it just me or does out-of-combat movement feel kinda sluggish? Even while dashing it doesn't feel quite right, and turning while in motion feels really bad, like there's some sort of attempt at preserving player momentum that isn't quite right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Not really? I didn't even notice a difference between in-combat and out-of-combat movement.

I noticed Duran had a stompy movement where it every-so-slightly emphasizes each step but it seemed like the same movement for both. I also noticed that he always has a stab as the first attack if you've been moving for long enough before attacking but I couldn't even tell if he was actually moving faster after a second or not.

But I also didn't really run anywhere either, your default movement speed seemed decent enough to not need it.

I think for me it felt like the movement was fine in-combat but the turning felt sluggish out of combat. I'm sure it's the same, but the feeling is different when I'm in combat (and can do things like lunging towards enemies with attacks) versus when I'm not. I've only really played as Hawkeye so far so maybe it's a disconnect between his running animation and the actual movement speed or something? Either way moving around the environment when I'm not fighting just doesn't feel very good at all to me and it's mostly down to how turning feels.

Maybe nobody else really feels it, though? I dunno.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The characters also move too slow for how fast their legs move and how much they bounce while running

Yeah, I think this is what I'm feeling. It makes it feel like everywhere is a slippery ice level, especially when turning. It's not really an issue in combat because the animations match up with your movement speed better, but out of combat I notice it a lot.

It might depend on which character you're controlling, too. I notice it a bit less with Riesz than Hawkeye, for example.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 18, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm in love with this demo. For those who know the game, does comp actually matter or can I play on normal with whatever anime wunderkinds I prefer?

One thing to note is that there's exactly one team comp that (assuming the spell lists are the same as in the original) can never have a healer: Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela. Any of the other characters can at least learn a healing spell by reclassing. In the original even that was fine because healing items can cover you pretty easily, and it's entirely possible the rebalancing made it possible for one of them to learn a healing spell in one of their classes (or not, no way to know yet).

From what I can tell, the most important thing with team comp is story, especially because normal mode seems pretty easy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

How can anyone judge the difficulty of the game when all we have available is essentially the tutorial?

I'm mostly going by the gameplay video that came out last week. Maybe they were playing on easy but they utterly annihilated every enemy and nuked the boss super quickly without ever needing to heal (even with intentionally failing a boss mechanic to show it off), and that was a much later-game area. It seems weird to me they'd play on easy mode for a gameplay preview video so I was assuming it was normal mode. Maybe they were really, really overleveled?

This video, specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29PSJEdjpc

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 19, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It just seriously seems like I was running slower on Switch and I think it’s because of the frame rate and weaker hardware.

Oh poo poo, I wonder if this was why people thought I was crazy when I said the controls felt sluggish/clunky outside of combat. I'm gonna download it on PC and see how it feels there.

edit: lmao yep, it's the Switch version. Hawkeye still feels a little "slidey" when turning out of combat and not sprinting, but it's miles better than it felt on Switch.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Some speculations (and some confirmed things)

Atk: Strength + Weapon bonus (Likely determines most of your physical attacks like normal attacks, power attacks, charge attacks, and class strikes)
Def: Stamina + Equipment bonus (Defends against anything that is physical attacks)
Mgc Atk: Intellect + Weapon bonus (Determines the power of offensive spells)
Mgc Def: Spirit + Equipment bonus (Determines your defense against offensive spells)
Luck (Determines how often you crit + Possibly item drops + the power of Trap/Projectile spells AKA most of Hawkeye's spells)

In addition, Spirit also determines how strong magical healing is.

Is it known yet how easy it is to reset points? I get the feeling my priorities early on are going to differ a lot from what I want once I start getting to 2nd/3rd classes.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 23, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really glad I tried the demo on PC. The "everything feels sluggish and weird outside of combat" complaint I had seems specific to the Switch version and on PC I'm really loving the demo. I already thought the combat was great but now the parts I was having a hard time getting over aren't a problem, either.

I do notice that moving around as Hawkeye feels worse than as any other character, but I think that's because he's animated like he's running faster than he actually moves, so it feels like he's moving too slowly. But I also find him the most fun in combat so I'm gonna pick him as my first main character anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This doesn't look like a mobile shovelware game because it has a font that isn't total garbage

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect her spells are AoE rather than targeting all enemies. They'll have a specific area they hit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shoenin posted:

Gonna stick with Riesz, Angela, and Hawkeye because.

Always go Riesz.

I want to do this group but I'm slightly concerned that they'll lack healing and I'll find it annoying to rely on items.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it's probably not worth stressing out about healing in the early game. You get so many Chocolates and Candies that you can survive until Kevin (or whoever) gets their healing spells.

Sure, but unless the spell lists are really different this time it's worth noting there's one party that will never get healing spells: Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela.

I know in the original you can get by with items for the whole game but I feel like I'd probably find that at least a little annoying, so I'm kinda torn between using the three characters I most want to use (those three) or throwing someone who'll at least eventually get healing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that the game's out: for people playing on Hard, how much of a pain is it to deal with having no healing spells? Really leaning towards a Hawkeye, Riesz, Angela playthrough.

Like it is "you'll barely notice because items are plentiful" level, or "you'll have to go out of your way to get extra healing items and you'll definitely notice" level?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are Angela's coolest classes for the remake?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much of a difference does it make to have characters with a shared antagonist? Like, what do you get story-wise for bringing Angela with you if you're playing as Duran, for example?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think gameplay-wise the party I'd most want to use is, like, Hawkeye, Angela, and maybe Kevin so I have a healer, but I don't want to miss out on doing Hawkeye and Riesz together if I'm doing Hawkeye's story. But I also really want to use Angela.

I suppose I could do, like, Angela, Duran, and Hawkeye, but I was most interested in doing Hawkeye's story first so I dunno. How are Duran or Angela's stories? I don't really know much about what each story is "about" and whether anyone has a more compelling one generally.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whose story is your favorite?

I'm finally downloading this and having a hell of a time deciding who to start with. I think I'm between Duran, Angela, and Hawkeye, but I really don't know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I think I'm going to go Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela and just deal with not having healing, it's cool, I'm sure it'll be fine

Any tips on class paths? I'm planning to go light for Riesz for the HP restore passive and buffs, but I don't know what's going to be the most fun for Hawkeye and Angela. Ninja Master and Grand Diviner seem popular? How are Hawkeye's light classes this time around (or would they not really offer much to this party in particular)?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, I didn't realize Riesz and Hawkeye had skill overlap. That makes it easy, dark Hawkeye it is. I can decide between Ninja Master and Nightblade when I get there, I guess.

What about Angela? All I know is that she's ridiculously powerful, but are there any classes that are better or cooler than others for her?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where should I be putting my training points early on for Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela? Hawkeye and Riesz aren't going to have spells to target early on so I don't know what's going to be useful for them. So far I've been splitting between Strength and Luck for Hawkeye, Strength and Spirit for Riesz, and Intelligence and Spirit for Angela.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any advice for how to spend my stat points on Angela? I'm level 20 now and just changed to her first light class and I have no idea what's actually worth targeting right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does INT/Magic Attack affect Ninja Hawkeye's jutsus, or do they scale with Luck?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

She's an easter egg, think of her like if you were playing a Final Fantasy game and Zeromus popped up after you beat the game and asked to fight.

This is almost literally what the bonus boss Culex in Super Mario RPG did, though he wasn't an actual boss from FF4, he just had the FF4 boss music.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fact that classes and class changes are, like, a thing that has some sort of almost mystical significance in-universe is hilarious to me and I love it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actively don't want a Chrono Trigger remake.

Thing is, it holds up amazingly well, probably due to just how well-paced the whole experience is, and how expressive its late-SNES sprite work is. And there's nothing about its story that I think would be improved or expressed better through HD cutscenes with cinematic camera angles and voice acting.

There's nothing archaic about its gameplay design, either. It doesn't have random encounters and in fact doesn't have a transition to a battle screen at all. Its combat is easy to understand but has enough options to make it interesting to play around with. The dialogue, characters, and even random enemies have a ton of personality.

Really I don't think there's anything in Chrono Trigger that would make a modern player bounce off that a remake could possibly "fix," if that makes sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up not really playing the Trials of Mana remake much when I first bought it but I'm thinking about jumping back in. I have a couple questions about character choices.

1. How much do story pairings actually add? I'm thinking about picking Hawkeye as the main character and I'd like Angela in my party. Will I be missing out on some meaningful stuff if I don't also take Riesz?

2. People say you don't really need a healer below the highest difficulties, but will I end up grinding money a bunch in the early/mid game to afford healing items if I don't bring someone who can learn healing spells? Or is it really no big deal?

3. If I end up going with Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela, what would be a fun class combo? I was considering Rogue/Fenrir Knight/Grand Diviner but I'm not sure if that's going to leave holes that will be annoying to deal with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was mostly drawn to Light Hawkeye/Dark Riesz because Rogue looked fun and interests me more than either of Hawkeye's Dark classes, though having even more consumables to need to buy seems like potentially a bad idea for a first playthrough? I don't know how tight money is, though. I'd be concerned that needing to buy Poto Oils, sabre items, and buff items would be a real pain, so maybe I'll go Dark Hawk/Light Riesz instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Rogue / Fenrir Knight is fine. In fact, that’s actually a very good team to support Hawkeye. I think debuffs work out to be stronger mathematically than buffs and you obviously can’t get ninjutsu debuffs with light hawk. Angela is a really nice addition because she gets a chain ability that recovers mp on hit, and Hawkeye has several rapid multi hit combos. Angela’s chain ability will make it easy for Hawkeye to keep topped up on MP and spam traps as ranger/rogue. She also is super powerful and the AI handles her much better than it does melee characters.

Another possibility for a rogue support team would be Rogue / Star Lancer / Evil Shaman (Carlie’s dark/dark, I forget the names in the remake). That gets you multi-target healing, a magic debuff and all buffs. I don’t think it’s actually better. The AI will tear things up with Angela, that chain ability is really nice, and I never had issues with healing in several play throughs on hard.

Thanks! Honestly I'm not going to play on anything higher than Hard so this is probably what I'll go with.

Would you go light or dark for Angela?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know I really don't like this Trials of Mana ??? Seed system for getting class change items and I feel like perhaps that could have been done away with in the remake without losing anything.

I know there are guaranteed ??? Seeds in the Benevodon dungeons but unless I get really lucky, I'm pretty sure I'll be basically done with the story by the time I get the ones I actually want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Erpy posted:

The randomness kicks in once you switch classes with at least one character. (it also kicks in on NG+, but in NG+ you should have so many ???-seeds from drops in the final and bonus dungeon, you'll eventually get what you want anyway) As long as you keep everyone in their second class until you have all three items you want, you should get no duplicates from the seeds found in the dungeon chests.

Yeah, I did the Benevodon dungeons thing and I noticed this :v:

I ended up getting the one I wanted for Riesz in the woods and the one I wanted for Angela from the ice dungeon, and I save-scummed the one from the fire dungeon. It's a pretty quick run to the chest once you know the route, so I saved before I entered the dungeon (since the result is set when you pick up the seed) and it took three reloads to get the one I wanted for Hawkeye. I got the one I'd already used on Angela twice in the meantime.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone! I got all my characters class changed and then went and took down a couple of Benevodons.