Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gotta say, the best video games of the year so far are Trials of Mana and FF7R, tied. They really know their way around a remake. I never played SD3 or the re-release so this is all fresh to me, but it is really hooking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The wall boss in the castle that throws out traps and blows you backwards was the first instance where I realized that my AI teammates were absolutely useless until I took possession of them.

They were great at holding onto faerie walnuts for Angela to blast the poo poo out of the boss, though.

It's also when I realized that, actually, the game was going to be very hard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have slain three Benevodons and have yet to get a ??? seed or any item for turning into a new class and it's pissing me off! I get most chests, so I wonder whats' going on here.

Unless I did get items but didn't realize.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh yeah, are those shields that were for sale pretty early on the only ones that reduce elemental damage? Or will I find better versions of them later?

I haven’t found any others yet but I figured they’d be a good thing to invest in and brother are they.

That and keeping anti-poison accessories on hand.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to do the other three for a second play through, but am wondering if a NG+ is a good idea or not. I suppose I would just be starting the game with all items and all the money I’d ever need which isn’t any different from how I always had all the money necessary to upgrade gear anyways, but with lvl 1 and no weapons. Is there an achievement or something?

Anyways, I loving hate that I switched Duran from Light/Dark to Dark/Dark before I hit class 4 because Liege was infinitely more useful than Duelist. Not having that group heal was really rough since I had the ability that gave me 5MP every 5 seconds making MP management a non issue as he could heal for roughly 60% on everyone on every cast. He did okay damage, but I felt I was missing out by not having sword buffs or that super-strong class strike. Turns out the grass isn’t greener. Archmage Angela with Riesz buffing (Star lancer) and Duran (Liege) was a very powerful party and I regret switching away from it, since now I’m chomping chocolates and candy and honey constantly when before I had a basically limitless healing reserve.

I should just switch back. Liege is cooler looking anyways.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some of the chains abilities are a bit overpowered which seems too tempting for me. The tomato man one that gives you 30% MP reduction at the cost of HP plus the MP over time ability(ies) alone means that MP management is a non-concern. Speedrunning seems like part of the intended way to play the game with how NG+ works.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My Riesz/Duran/Angela party works well but actually it’s just Angela spamming infinite Lucent Beam+ at a boss. It’s kind of a bummer because Riesz is my favorite character to play as but Angela is infinitely stronger, and the AI is really bad at casting spells.

I kinda wish there was a difficulty above hard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Reisz is supposed to be like a boring "duty above all, we need to be prudent all the time" sort of thing so she has more muted voice direction and says poo poo like "we should stock up on essentials for the journey" when you get mad bux.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The wildlife takes care of babies. Don't worry about it!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game absolutely rules and I wish there was a harder part to it, since it all seems relatively trivial even on the hardest difficulty if you have Angela in your party.

But earlier, especially in Laurent, there was some difficulty. I was really digging it.

Just a step above hard would be nice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not if you melt them first!

Lucent Beam+! Lucent Beam+! Lucent Beam+!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So to get all the cheevos you need to beat the game three times and pick as your main character one of the following pairings each time since they share a final boss?

Angela/Duran
Riesz/Hawkeye
Charlotte/Kevin

Am I right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man you can speedrun this poo poo real quick, with the 300% XP boost in NG+ you'll be like 60 by the time you see your first ??? seed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like boring old woman Riesz!

I haven’t finished my third play through but I’m worried that the last achievement will require me to beat the game with all 6 characters through 6 separate playthroughs. Which is fine but that’s gonna take a long time, even though you can beat the game in like 6 hours in NG+ but that’s still like 30 hours of one-shotting dudes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I finished Anise at like 1:20 on hard by Angela spamming Lucent Beam+ the entire time with Riesz buffs and Duran; I got lucky and Duran locked her twice in Phase 1, too. My party was like 72. By 99 it would only be easier, especially since I didn’t optimize abilities and was carrying unnecessary things like “heal 5% hp/mp after battle”.

Angela is no joke. Definitely the strongest character in this easy game for children. Using her felt like a cheat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Recommend giving Angela a go. There’s a reason that Angela’s class 4 battle is against herself. No one else can stand toe to toe.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Levantine posted:

Thanks, that's what I was trying but it wasn't enough, or I'm just too low level (78ish). I may just wait to do that on my second playthrough (Kevin/Angela/Charlotte). Any suggestions on good party builds for that comp?

High priestess Charlotte gets some stupid strong holy saber things for Kevin and has an absurdly powerful CS that will lock Anise in place while she beats the poo poo out of her with a fan, while also having the heal that invalidates basically all survivability concerns since it an overheal into a barrier.

Angela can also solo Anise in under 2m on Hard.

The second playthrough you get a 300% XP boost which means you're lvl 99 way, way before you get to Anise and the time trials become very easy for any comp as a consequence.

I can't imagine a bad party comp to be quite honest.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm surprised you're having issues with Angela in NG+, did you not grab any of the chain abilities that make MP management a thing of the past?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh, that's fair. Once I get all the achievements I'll probably do the same sine I'm gonna keep on replaying this game for the next couple years/decades until they make a re-remaster, just like FFV!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I built Duran to be tankier but it just ended up where the other two died to aoe damage and he’d Rez them. Then I built him to be a healer but he’d still Rez the other two. Then I built everyone to be 100% damage all the time, and everyone stopped dying because there was nothing left to stop them.

The best defense is an absurd offense, and bringing a healer is to get a buffer for if you run out of healing items. They’re cheap as hell! If you build your dudes right they’ll probably kill the boss before you run out of cups of wishes to spam.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beating the game isn’t even the end of the game. Beating the endgame is also not the end of the game. Beating the black rabite is, essentially, the final task of a play through.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truly there is no reason to have a -saber casting person because of the night market. Just buy all the -saber items, it’s not like Lucre is difficult to come by. And saber abilities are nice but not exactly crucial. Only thing you really need are cups of wishes, though. If you refuse to bring a healer for some reason you might need chocolates but if you have everyone in selfish damage roles, cups of wishes are sufficient to get them back in the fight and you should kill every boss way before you go through 9 cups.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Poque posted:

Lmao Duran just talked about "getting his steps in" at the Moon Tower. He's such a dork in this version and it rules.

I fuckin’ love his kinda-psychotic laugh in combat. He’s clearly living his best life.

E: also I feel like NG+ Anise is when you’re supposed to try to get the clear time as low as possible. You already have all 99s from the 300% XP ability and like 99% of chain abilities so you should have all the tools necessary to get that kill in under a minute.

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 14, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lezard_valeth posted:

Art dump of designs and concept art by Yoshiro Ambe. God this game is georgeous.

It's really a fantastic remake and artistically is just gorgeous. Very much a colorful storybook. Which is odd since the original had, uh, a lot less color. A lot of ... gold/brown. Like the colors seemed less vibrant?

Anyways I'd be happy having only ever experienced Trials of Mana, since SD3 was a bit of a mess (and I didn't even finish it!). I mean, the shield bug or whatever? What?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I spent a solid 50 hours playing this game and have all the achievements and I must say this is the first time in a long time that I bought a video game and felt completely happy with my purchase. I’d recommend it to everyone: children, adults, non-gamer types. It’s a children’s storybook that is straight up fun, charming, gorgeous and not too demanding on the player but is open to power gaming.

If this and FF7R is what SE does for remakes/remasters from now on they’re gonna make so much loving money. Secret of Mana in this engine would be fantastic. poo poo, a Final Fantasy game in this engine would be fantastic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IMJack posted:

I have LDL Duran, DDD Angela, and DDD Charlotte all at L99 and I'm trying to finish the <2 minute Anise challenge. My best time so far is about 2:15. Any advice?

Use a night market item to buff Angela (Dark charlotte doesn't buff/debuff right?), make sure Angela has all the bonus magic attack abilities and maybe the black rabite ability, I think there's a MGC defense down item from the night market. Does DDD angela get lucent beam? I always go light.

In any event, you're best leaning as hard as possible into Angela to carry the team. Make sure you never control Charlotte/Duran, and have Angela spam lucent beam constantly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know the math but it appears that Angela’s heart-kiss thing (the class strike) is so much more powerful than Duran’s class strikes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or changing classes. Changing classes is a bitch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kyrosiris posted:

Use a different element tier 2 spell. I think I used the water one.

Explosion for me!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duran is always a good grab because he’s sturdy enough he won’t be getting one shot and can at the very least get Angela back up after unlucky hits like that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Secret of Evermore but the dog gets to cast alchemy too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SKULL.GIF posted:

The time limit is basically whatever.

3 items only is savage and means you'll have to carefully plan your party composition.

I will carefully plan around using Angela to carry the team, yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Angela is the strongest by a significant margin if you ask me. Lucent Beam is stupid strong against all the Dark dudes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Trials of mana is the best non-Final Fantasy game SE ever put out, with Just Cause 2 being a close second, only because of mods.

I really love the Mana series :unsmith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Legend of Mana ruled because for a lot of people it was the only Mana entry after Secret of Mana which has a pretty tight flow. Legend of Mana is bonkers, lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes do it blind. The tower is the worst. The game is very very weird though, so even with a guide you’ll be like “huh?”

I thought it was —… what the gently caress is the difference between remake, remaster, rerelease, re-whatever because I thought Legend was getting the Trials treatment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you nab that ocean area on the top left, don’t you run out of places to drop artifacts after like 3?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gandlethorpe posted:

Warrior Monk gets multiheal

Guild Wars 1 WAMO is eternal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Angela is still good, just not as “melt everything” as she is in the normal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I forgot all about Secret of Evermore and just read up on it because of that post. It has a super impressive pedigree, wow - The first game Jeremy Soule composed music for, and many of the people who worked on it later went to Humongous Entertainment and spawned Cavedog then made Total Annihilation. Also Daniel Dociu was the art director and he went on to work with NCsoft and Arenanet as the art director for both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 which have pretty phenomenal art direction.

I think at the time there just weren’t many people making video games, too.