Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I cannot abide the disrespect in this thread for Legend of Mana, which is the best game in the series. Okay, it may be completely insane, and it may have some subsystems that make no sense (crafting is so in-depth that literally no sane human will ever figure out how to make anything useful), but it's just full of whimsical charm and I can't help but love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm very interested to find out if that bug was fixed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kevin doesn't talk like a caveman, but Charlotte talks exactly wike Ewmew Fudd.

So yeah, I went with the all-guys team to do something different from the caster-heavy setup I usually went with before. I'll see how that works out until I can class change and get healers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The guide I'm reading says they had extreme trouble with Jewel Eater until they hit level 15. I just beat him at level 9 very easily with a no-caster party.

I'm not sure if the guide writer was very bad or if they adjusted the difficulty.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, running around in Ferolia, the werewolves that can just spam healing spells forever are the first thing in the game with the serious capacity to kick my rear end.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, now I'm trying to get my hands on ??? Seeds in the Jungle of Illusion before I hit 38 and I'm seriously considering just tossing my hands in the air and not playing further. I forgot how annoying this was.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What do the seeds do? I've played SD3 tons and I never remeber grinding for seeds. Is it like a stat-boost thing for min-maxing?

You need the items they grow into to do the second class change.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm amazed that anybody even knew Duran's shields were broken because they're so obscurely difficult to find.

Anyway, I finished class changing, and now I'm annoyed because the guide at Seikens was completely wrong about which class was which and has the LL and LD classes switched around for Kevin and Duran.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Having finished Kevin's story, he still does kind of talk like a caveman, it's just less pronounced. He tends to bark out short sentences. It's honestly kind of weird because nobody else in Ferolia talks like that and he has no reason to be uneducated.

Also, his dad is a total dick and I strongly regret not getting to kill him, especially since even if he didn't kill the dog or Kevin's mom he still started a war that murdered a bunch of innocent people for no reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kevin's vocal pattern is less annoying, and Charlotte's is much more annoying. Also the ruler of Altena is now the True Queen instead of the Queen of Reason, which seems like a downgrade.

In general both translations seem to be of good quality; the new one appears to be running for consistency with Heroes of Mana.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I could get annoyed with those voice lines very quickly if they say them as often as they seem to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Basically every woman in those pictures is simpering, even Angela.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

seiferguy posted:

How has Legend of Mana aged? It definitely had its personality but the lack of a strong plot kind of turned me away from replaying the game.

It continues to be super weird, incredibly charming, and mechanically certifiable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At this point it seems premature to assume that literally anything works the way it did before.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

About 7GB.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm also interested to see how they changed up classes that were weighted heavily towards the second or third tier — Angela's first Light class change is way better than the Dark ones but her third tier tended to go the opposite way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not even sure what I would want a Legend of Mana remaster to be, although I definitely want one.

Like, do you make the crafting simpler and probably boring, or do you lean the hell in and make it even more obtuse, detailed, and incomprehensible?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The fact that the PC game's names for the buttons have nothing to do with the labels of the buttons on my controller is really annoying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I actually got it to stop doing that by repairing my 8bitdo controller in Switch mode, which is apparently a thing it has, causing the game to recognize it as a Switch controller instead of an Xbox one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Although... now the game seems to be recognizing the shortcut inputs as belonging to the wrong buttons, even though everything else seems to work correctly?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Although... now the game seems to be recognizing the shortcut inputs as belonging to the wrong buttons, even though everything else seems to work correctly?

Hm, it looks like the controller is actually working properly, the game just doesn't move the buttons around the shortcut wheel if you use a controller of a different type, so they aren't were they "should" be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to beat Zenoa correctly. It has a special reaction to water magic but an ice coin is the only way to have that and hardly anybody will know to buy one.

You can kill the shapeshifters if you burn them down before they change shape but they seem to respawn instantly, so... not worth the effort.

I pounded him down but it mostly involved ignoring mechanics and letting Kevin whale on him with everybody else dead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's just Belladonna's aesthetic. She's one of those people who can't stop redecorating.

So, uh, what are you actually supposed to do with the adds? I feel like there's meant to be a better solution but I wound up just ignoring them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Duran wouldn't actually need the class change if he weren't absolutely set on the "hit it with a big sword" approach against an opponent who can teleport and attack from range.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I definitely remember running into a serious problem because the guides got something about Kevin's classes backwards and upgrading into the wrong one when I did the Collection of Mana.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Currently getting my butt kicked by Xan Bie. Even at roughly equivalent level it doesn't seem possible to beat all three idols before the explosion. Very annoying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Definitely save your class strikes for those, and use one on each altar.

This turned out to be really good advice.

Meanwhile, I was having a really easy time with Dangaard until it decided to do the first phase transition and them immediately wipe the party with one attack. I think I will try this again tomorrow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of which, what's the trick for Dangaard? It spams those constantly and there isn't really any way to avoid its regular attacks either.

I mostly just found those very easy to destroy, as compared to some of the others? Xan Bie's all definitely needed a class strike and in the end it was probably easier just to panic heal.

The Crimson Wizard's orbs are also very hard to destroy because they're so drat far apart and I'm honestly not even sure how the AoE works on the only AoE class strike (Kevin) I have.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a prequel for the DS that ALSO refuses to come out and say that, but does add in a whole subplot where Flamekhan had another kid, who he disowns for being on the other side of the game's conflict. She has Hawkeye and apparently dies, so Flamekhan takes him in and tells him he's a random orphan he found. It's a weird decision.

Which is very, very weird, because it means Hawkeye's primary love interest is his literal biological aunt.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I am completely unsure if this still exists, but God Hand in the original gets Aura Wave which fills the tech meter and Duelist gets Eruption sword, which is the strongest class skill in the game.

The equivalent skill in this game makes you get CS faster rather than filling the meter.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy loving poo poo Angela completely disintegrated the final boss on her story path. Bosses with multiple hit boxes are very allergic to Lucent Beam Plus, I guess!

Same

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, one thing about the story's intense faithfulness to the original is that Kevin's dad gets away with a lot of heinous poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It honestly seems like giving bosses multiple hitboxes that AoE magic can use to triple or quadruple their damage was a mistake, especially given that I can't think of any bosses that actually make use of the different hitboxes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Angela’s magic requires an even spread among all the categories. It’s kind of a pain tbh I have her in Light class 4 and I still don’t have all the + spells.

Honestly, once you get to the endgame you don't _need_ anything but Lucent Beam+.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's really weird to have Belladonna and Malocchio together because Malocchio is voiced as Generic Gay-Coded Ponce, and Belladonna's actress has basically decided to go above and beyond the call of duty and actually, like, act.

In fact she is putting in about three times as much effort as anybody else in the cast.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, my review of this game after the fact is that it's a surprisingly fun and faithful remake and upgrade, but its potential is busting through the seams of that faithfulness and it's ultimately limited by the original game.

I would really like to see a new Mana game built on this engine that has more active abilities and fewer passive ones, and whose story isn't actively insipid.

It really is kind of a theme in Mana games that the limitless power of Mana never does anything useful except for sometimes, maybe, partially undoing some of the damage done by people trying to seize it to rule the world.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just started the game and I picked Hawkeye, Angela I think her name is (Mage in a red dress) and this horrible gremlin child

I heard that there's a class change feature that opens up into the game and you can make some pretty bad choices so should I look up a guide when the time comes to know what to do with them?

You can look one up if you want, but in the remake there aren't really any bad choices. The worst thing you can do is give yourself a loadout with no offense and since you picked Angela that won't be an issue for you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was in fact meant to be incredibly old until Heroes of Mana decided it was in fact ten years old.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, it's kind of hard to take "beastman discrimination" very seriously when apparently all beastmen are built like The Rock even before they turn into a werewolf.

Especially hard when they apparently decided to butcher everybody in Astoria so that they could have better self-esteem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

orcane posted:

The subtitles are the worst part about Charlotte's accent, really.

Yeah, the subtitles actually make her dialogue seem harder to understand than it really is.