Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holy poo poo who gave Charlotte this hilariously bad toddler accent? Glad I didn’t stick her on my team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even if the glitches still exist, any combo of classes is perfectly capable of beating the game. Even a combo with no magical healing can get by with items no problem, as they all just duplicate spells anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve never had to grind in this game at all so that sounds like the FAQ writer’s problem. Keep pace with the enemies and you’ll do fine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They showed a little more of the Trials remake a little while ago on the Treehouse stream and it looks pretty good. Looks like an actual remake instead of a facelift like the first two.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kobogartimer posted:

I just saw a crit in SD3, were they completely non existent before? The number was yellow. Wait maybe it was the boss healing itself.

Honestly I don't even know what a crit is supposed to look like to confirm that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's it called? I didn't take Kevin in my first party.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can rely on items for healing. Buy Poto Oils in Beiser which is a multi target healing item. Boom, all the healing you’ll ever need, especially since you’ll rip through most enemies with all the buffing and debuffing you’re going to do with that party.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Maybe it’s a hot take, but I vastly prefer playing Secret of Evermore over SoM. Such a classic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There’s an old glitch that makes SoE a breeze too: if you attempt to use your escape spell during a boss fight, it makes you invincible. I used this to great effect as a kid.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Based on the out of (mostly) nowhere remake of SD3, I’m going to say we’ll see a remake of Legend sometime in our lifetime.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How to play SD3 is so ingrained into my being I can't imagine what it's like for a player going into it fresh. Nothing really tells you when you're ready to class change, where to get the items to class change the second time, and if you missed it, where you're supposed to class change in the second half of the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm finally fishing for ??? seeds in SD3 and I completely forget this is annoying as hell. 12 seeds so far, no Paladin item for Duran. 4 Gleipnirs though, which is a class Riesz isn't even eligible for.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

All the class change items cast a spell/ability of the class it's for; check to see if the ones you're getting would be useful to you. (Also, saving and reloading before you use a ??? Seed will change the rng of what it turns into.)

Don't worry I know all the tricks in the book. I eventually got the Knight Tag I wanted. Ended up with 6(!) Gleipnirs at the end of it. This evolved into weapon/armor gear seed grinding because I gotta have that ultimate equipment. I settled for kitting out Duran and most of Angela, but didn't get a single thing for Riesz somehow.

Just finished that run last night too. I realized I had not played this game through to completion in over 10 years, and longer for a Duran/Angela story run. It was much more difficult than I remember it being. Koren in particular would not let up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I resolved to play ToM without savescumming or savestates for my first run on the Switch and I learned of an interesting bug I didn't know about: After you class change the second time, if you keep opening ??? seeds you'll start to get tokens for all your classes instead of the two your characters qualify for. This is a problem if you class change one character the moment you get the token you wanted but not for the other two.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SD3 had a bunch of annoying glitches. Critical hits were non-existent, some stats did nothing, shields didn't work, sometimes you wouldn't get the proper ??? items when you planted them. Very excited to see this game in a new skin.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is there a "bad" party composition?

I haven't played this game in a good 15 years so I've long since forgotten the synergies. If I was gonna go with a core of Duran and Angela, who would be a good third? I'm thinking Riesz or Hawkeye.

You'd have to really try to get a bad party but even the worst of them can cover their weaknesses with items.

Light Reisz slots into nearly any party because of her buffing capability.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It never really mattered whether or not you have a healer because you can buy items that replicate the healing spells, in addition to the standard healing items. It helps to have someone with high spirit though since that determines how much those items actually heal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For the remake I'll probably go with Duran/Angela/Kevin. I don't use Kevin that often when he's not my main character and I like Duran/Angela's story the most. Duran's whole motivation of getting stronger to beat a wizard who whooped him once is nice and refreshingly straightforward.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only thing that weapons did in the original was raise your attack value. Which ones available to you was just for flavor. I do enjoy that there are neutral weapons in the off chance you put off class changing for some reason.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Stranger things have happened, but not often.

I mean, I still can’t get over that not only did we get a translation of lost JRPG SD3, but a full remake. And it’s good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't know if I can make a party the doesn't have Angela in it anymore. Not because she is so powerful, but because her dialogue is amazing. Every battle that starts with her saying "I. DON'T. HAVE. TIME. FOR. THIS." is the best.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I struggled really hard with my first two Benevodons with my Ranger/Rune Maiden/Enchantress party but the difficulty instantly lessened when I class changed right after that into Rogue/Fenrir Knight/Magus. I wouldn't call it brain dead easy, but maybe that's because I'm getting old. Or maybe it's the lack of magical healing and no one having the spirit to make poto oils be super effective.

Honestly it's probably because I don't take control of Angela enough to spam spells.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I saved a bunch of rainbow seeds until after I turned class 4 but they all gave me the class 3 gear. Shame, that, but I did get the last piece I was missing from that set at least.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Legend of Mana is a different game on PS1. The game on the Collection is Final Fantasy Adventure, the first Mana game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you happen to have a PS3 you can pick up Legend as a PS1 Classic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Springsteppers in the original more or less just let you see where you are on the world map but didn't let you go anywhere iirc. In fact, I think there are more in the remake than the original. The post-game dungeon has a whole floor utilizing them as a sort of teleporter puzzle.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s a really nice touch that in all of Reisz’s costumes save her class 1 she ties her mom’s ribbon to her wrist, because her new ribbon is a different color and therefore can’t be the same one.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I forget what level I was when I did this but I just did circuits on the top floor the Moonview Tower for ??? seeds. No loading screens as you loop through 4 rooms. A gold save statue is right there too. There's also one in a chest within every dungeon but Gusthall (because you were in there already).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whenever I hear the characters saying that they must reach class 4 all I can think of is Goku searching for a level beyond Super Saiyan and it makes it so much better.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be honest the remake hasn't completely replaced the original for me, mainly because the spritework in the original is absolutely gorgeous. If it also happened to be bug free then the two would be of equal ranking for me. The remake is really goddamn good though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it's also a function of your level. Also you can try to get lucky and just comb the dungeons for the guaranteed ??? seeds. I've never really felt the need to grind for them though since you don't lose anything by waiting to change, except perhaps your combat effectiveness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I still call a lot of the places by their fan translation names. Gemstone Valley Dorian rolls off the tongue really well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The low difficulty is what was keeping me from replaying more so I am very glad they are taking a concerted effort to make it more difficult.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

??? Seeds drop from sufficiently leveled enemies. I think I just ran circles at the top of the Moon Tower and beat up werewolves for them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

God I hate being reminded about how awful the co-op was in Crystal Chronicles remaster. It could have been so much more!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the remake I think I just beat up the high level werewolves at top of the moonreading tower to get ??? seeds. In the original, it was strategically killing the papa popotos last in the mirage jungle.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Very fast rumor to announcement on this one. Sometime in 2024.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would place no bet on the game being open world.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Look at this big shot who had an SNES multitap growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always had aspirations of doing 3p Seiken Densetsu 3 with the hack but it was only me for a long time in my social sphere who appreciated rpgs like that.