Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I didn't know this thread existed! Trials of Mana is my favorite game of all time and having it officially available in English was a dream come true. I've played the game dozens of times with all sorts of different party comps, anyone looking for advice should let me know.

Some people were talking about how the Night Market is necessary to do well in the game, and while it is a large boon I think it's less of a crutch and more of a fail-safe. If you end up with a completely terrible party, you still have Black Market items to lean on. You can try not using them and challenging yourself slightly more, but the game is easy enough that you shouldn't NEED to rely on them. It's there if you need it though.

I'm also the one stan that exists for Sword of Mana. That game is good, fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Clyde/Tomato is good people and I highly recommend his streams. There's tons of archives on his Youtube channel of the same handle of past stream comparisons like Breath of Fire 2 and stuff. You might even spy me in the chat offering advice and insight. It's a shame he doesn't stream that much anymore but the new FFA series should hopefully breathe new life into it all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay cool that makes sense. I have a checklist which notes missable items so I’m good there.

I just hope that the overalls you start with count since you can’t buy them again after you get kicked out of Potos.

Also why are there only two save files?!?

It's true to the original :shepface:

(...I think. Maybe I'm thinking of another game.)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

At least Trials doesn't have faffing about with weapon and magic levels. You still have to grind sometimes, but it's the old fashioned kind, which I definitely prefer.

...well, there's the seeds, but anyone playing it now is on emulator or on Switch, which have save states for easy rerolling of chests to make sure you get seeds.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Erpy posted:

Yeah, but I always found the Poto method to be the most tedious one since you first have to wait for the PotoPoppies to spawn, potentially eating Lucent Beams in the meantime and when you slay them and they drop something, the loot is usually just medical herbs or claws. Compared to the Beholder enemies, whose drop is always a ??? seed and who start popping up right about the time you're around level 38, the Poto method always felt too much of a pain to bother with. Also, they have to be a certain level in order to have a chance to drop the seeds. If you visit Lightgazer's place too early, you won't be able to get the seeds at all.

It's less that the potos won't drop the seeds but that there's a certain level threshold before the ma potos will start spawning them. If you don't have Hawkeye/Riesz as your lead, you won't be able to take advantage of the easy demons, so they're pretty much your only option for most parties.

But yes, gear seeds can always be obtained by killing uncommon enemies in the initial areas of your final dungeon. Night-Blades and Wolf Devils are the ones to look out for in your game. If you have a way to Silence enemies, that's always a good consideration against their Full Screen Party Wipe nonsense, otherwise just save often. Make sure they're the last enemy you kill. You can also make a save state after they die and reload it if it doesn't spawn a chest, then walk in some other direction until you find the RNG that will make one come.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The earlier you save, the more room for error, but you have until the "Victory!/You won!" message vanishes to pre-empt the chest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I figured I'd boot up my old Sword of Mana save file because I've had it on the mind lately... jeebus criminy crackers old teenage me had very little to do with his life huh?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I think my notebook had like 7 or 8 Black enemies. Mostly ones that I enjoyed training against. You have to have a Black Rabite after all. Plus, since it's an early-game enemy its chests were never trapped so you had the easiest time getting Crystals for Tempering and :shepface:

I never had an amigo. I don't think I'll ever know what that sensation is like.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Not as far as I can tell. I watched Jirard do that part of the remake and it really stalled at farming the Ghosts and most other stuff in the Pure Land.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Bell_ posted:

In SD3, can't they queue their own attacks while you do that so you get clobbered by a triple-cast AOE?

Yeah definitely, you basically never want to use magic against anything that counters it cause the counters are brutal even if you buff and debuff, especially because there's a literal hard cap on how high your defense can go. But in general you can tell if a boss will counter by whether they're some big monster or whether they're roughly you-sized and take hit-stun from your basic swings.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

For physical characters, priority is generally Strength>Vitality>Intelligence. You basically do the first if you can, the second if you can't do the first, and the third if you can't do either. That should cover most level ups. The reason to focus on Intelligence over Spirit is that it effects your magic attack AND defense against everything except Light-element, while Spirit covers Light-elemental attacks and defense specifically.
For mages, focus on Vitality if you can. Carlie should pump Spirit, while Angela should typically wait until you get a new spirit before you raise her Intelligence, since that's how you trigger a pre-requisite for learning new spells.

You never need to raise Luck, ever, unless you're actually out of options. Dexterity is important if you're Hawkeye as it fulfills pre-requisites, but otherwise both these stats do not do anything or do very little to influence your combat prowess, due to bugs. Other characters can have odd pre-requisites sometimes depending on class, for example Duran needs Spirit to learn some things later on, so priorities can sometimes shift, but generally you'll be fine as long as you avoid Dexterity and Luck.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I assume you're likely getting caught up on some sequence triggers in the early-game, of which there are a lot of annoying different ones. Is it about dwarves, perhaps?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah, that part's another annoying thing, haha. I think that's the last really oblique sequence trigger, but I can think of another thing that if you don't pick up on the clues, you won't know exactly what to do. In this case it was just a bit of Startropics Syndrome where talking to every NPC would eventually solve your problem.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah, it says you got it but then it says you have no room, it's a bad order of operations. Make room in your inventory by hitting the Plus/Start button and putting something into storage - like the Nitromyte, since it has no use anymore.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Imagine just straight up falling off of Flammie if you screw up. Whoops!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Switch demo when tho.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Evening out stats is bad for sure. Angela especially you want to focus on Vitality even over Intelligence just because she's so goddamn frail. Only level up her Intelligence every time you get a new spirit to proc learning the associated elemental spell, otherwise Vitality when you can and Spirit when you can't. Riesz will be your tankiest character, but should focus on Strength, and then Vitality, with Intelligence if you can't do either. Hawkeye should do the same, but with Luck as the tertiary stat - his is already pretty high and you don't need it that much higher.

You don't need to worry about leveling Hawkeye's Agility until you class change once, then you'll need to raise it every now and again for new spell breakpoints. Riesz I THINK needs Spirit to learn her buffs or debuffs in her class changes, though I might be thinking of Duran. Angela only ever needs Intelligence, so her strategy never needs to change even when she classes up. It's a fairly decent party you've got here, you should be okay if you abuse Poto Oils once you get to the Black/Night Market in Beiser.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Allarion posted:

To be fair, relying on items that are only available from one shop in the entire world to substitute for what you're missing in your party comp isn't the most intuitive thing to grasp

That market literally exists to keep the game from being unwinnable it feels like

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I've probably said this hot take before but Secret of Mana remake is better than the original in almost every way and the only reason people decry it is because without their nostalgia clouding their judgment they're able to see the not-very-good game for what it actually is.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Irony.or.Death posted:

What does it actually improve? I was under the impression it was extremely faithful, just uglier.

Not being able to move forward because your dumb allies are running repeatedly into a wall is an original version sin I wouldn't wish on anyone. Also running is actually running and doesn't completely exhaust your stamina for attacks, like how it is in Secret of Evermore but even better and tighter. Also the extra inn scenes are extremely adorable.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Does trials still have an April 24 release date? My eshop still says TBD in the listing.

I have no idea why because the video trailer you can watch in the eShop has a date plastered right on the end. I think it's the 28th, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Lol at the game that probably needed more content not getting it and the game that doesn't really need more content getting more.

wtf wtf wtf though this is BIG I hope it's really meaty

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

DEMO?? Yeaaaaaaaaaaa

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hopefully I can have multiple save files in the demo so I can see all of the various intro cutscenes for everyone and perhaps I'll make my decision on what my first full playthrough party will be then.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Mechanical questions:

The only "bad" party comp is one where multiple characters do the same thing, like if you had both Hawkeye and Riesz going debuff-focused. But yeah, basically anything can be compensated for with items.
Including healing! You don't need a healer if you have a stack of 99 Poto Oil from the black market. If you do have Charlotte as your dedicated healer, you'll basically never ever die ever, and other people who dabble in healing are okay but never quite as good as her at it since she gets instant-cast Heal Light at third tier.
Having the two characters with stories be with each other can usually lead to extra cutscenes and dialogue between them or between the aggressors they have in common (like Gormand, Crimson Wizard, etc). Like, Riesz and Hawkeye have a lot in common to talk about, but Kevin and Charlotte don't really talk much to each other relatively. It doesn't mean it's a bad idea to pair them anyway. Angela has probably the least in common with anyone, so if you're interested in her story she should be your leader character.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You're not mistaken, but I am not aware if they have done anything to change that. It could be that the superboss is potentially relocated to the fourth act and made stronger to compensate, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

This is why I'm glad they bothered to officially localize and release the original on the Collection so anyone can have it the way they want.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm looking at the shop listing and it says "Recieve the Rabite Adornment DLC to gain more EXP after battles up-to level 10! Available until 21st May 2020." Very weird, there doesn't seem to be a current option to grab it or if it has any cost to it.

Anyway, excited to try out the game tomorrow! Will have to be after work since there's much to do this morning.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm suddenly swayed with great anxiety upon booting up the demo because I'm scared that it won't be everything I expected it to be so I think I'm going to mentally prepare myself for a teensy bit longer.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I finally finished the demo, doing a Duran/Angela playthrough. It was pretty fun! If nothing else, I'm glad they made it worthwhile to explore areas for treasure chests and dropped items scattered throughout the world, even in settlements. Before you just explored and fought enemies because you needed to level grind, but it feels a lot nicer now. I'll be for sure trying out the different characters later.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Any full rips of the entire game's soundtrack from just the demo yet?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's pretty generic. Mana dies, but it'll come back, live out your lives in peace.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I think I'm going to go with a Kevin and Charlotte story first since I feel like they tend to be the ones tossed to the side mostly. But I'm having trouble deciding on the third for that team.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

All right, set up my Kevin/Hawkeye/Charlotte party in the demo, ready for the unlock tonight. So excitedddddd!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The trophy list is out, looks like you have to beat the game six times to get platinum lol yeah right

I'll probably still do it tbh

Does the Switch version have some kind of in-game equivalent of trophies?

Not as far as I can tell, but honestly being able to skip cutscenes will make that probably not as bad as one might think.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Game unlocked on Switch, I gotta go to bed but I played far enough to beat up the Machine Golems. I got two level ups from them! Being level 10 at this point of the game is crazy when you'd barely be pushing 6 or 7 originally. But hey, number go up and number go up is good.

Also yeah the original was never hard in general so if the remake isn't hard then they're just being faithful.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Performance is fine, there can be a bit of slowdown when you're fighting a lot of enemies at once but that doesn't happen too often. Of course I don't know how it is compared to the Superior Platforms as I never really looked at them to begin with.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I just beat the furnace and the ninja duo myself. I was looking forward to seeing how the de-facto "noob killer" bosses had been shaped up for the remake, and it appears they are still definitely that. I didn't lose, but I came close a few times, had to use a bunch of items despite packing Charlotte with the multitarget Healing Light. The traps on the sides of the arena and getting pushed into them gets dicey and you can get stunlocked into death, almost. I also like that the shape shifters are still level 12, that was funny.

Gonna take a short break before the ghost ship. I'm not looking forward to my team's EXP not being synchronized anymore if the mechanics there work exactly the same as before.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Indecision strikes! Should I go to the desert or the snowfield first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I wonder if Bil and Ben had that mechanic before but you'd never know it because it is literally impossible to not kill them at the same time in the original even if you're trying cause arena small and attacks wide