Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Arkeus posted:

Starlancer's big thing is the perma buffs, but after a while you actually want to finish a fight quickly enough that you don't need to recast them. So I guess Vanadis could work out? unsure.

Maybe? I picked the game up the other day and blew through it with L/L Kevin, D/D Angela and L/L Riesz, the last of which being on accident as I mixed up the names.

While I agree that the fights rarely last long enough for the buffs to be worth casting, the Vandis’s Freya summon has this unfortunate quality of transforming enemies into little level one pipsqueaks. While funny and effective at removing the enemy, it also means you get the pitiful XP and Loot rewards of said level one pipsqueak. So that sucks if you wanna farm. I suppose you could avoid it, but it’s billed as the Big Thing for the class so that seems wrong.

Edit: I’m just about done this play through, thinking of doing D/L or DD Duran, D/? Charlotte and L/L Angela. I was thinking of doing Ninja Hawkeye instead of Angela, but he went full creeper on Riesz during the Laurent chapter and that’s been a hard perception to shake. But that’s fine; Angela has been a lot of fun.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Wow. I just got to the postgame content and they just stopped caring about how they incorporate the gameplay mechanics into the narrative, didn’t they? ”You need to reach Class 4! It’s the only way!” It’s just so straightforward about it, it’s funny and jarring all the same time.

I guess it still fits, Duran’s story story starts with him wanting to learn about “Class Changing” after all, but now I can’t stop thinking about it all like Super Saiyan stuff. Ferolia Kingdom might as well be Planet Vegeta now.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 11, 2020

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It’s a huge discrepancy, for sure. Made funnier when you’re on the Kevin/Charlotte path, as the wizards with space age magitek and the demonic ninjas get beaten in by eagles carrying martial artist werewolves lead by a dead clown marionette.

Just goes to show what you get when you’re lazy and take a boat!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So I have beaten the game, and started a NG+ with the three other characters I haven’t played with yet. This remake did a remarkable job of feeling light and fresh while staying shockingly loyal to the SNES version. It didn’t do anything really new in terms of ARPG gameplay, but it nailed what it did with a good amount of polish! I really enjoyed how fast the fights feel, especially compared to the original. Not having to stop everything for a spell, to level up, or get your loot went a long way to keep me playing through. Hell, talking about it had me wanting to jump back in to my NG+.

I’m blown away at how LITTLE about the script or character design was changed during the upgrade. In fact the only thing I can think of that stands out as radically different is the Tomatomen, which I get 100% and kinda love the new Groucho Marx look.

One thing about the remake that caught me off guard was how much I wound up not liking Riesz in this version. She was easily my favourite character when I played it as a teen, yet this time around I found her just so painfully dull compared to Kevin and Angela. My best guess as to why is how the script works as read versus as heard; Angela and Kevin have a lot more for the VA to work with as characters to make a stand out take on a line, whereas Riesz’s Pure, Stoic Maiden Archetype of the 90s kind of demands a relatively flat read. Plus there’s only so much you can do with a line like “Victory is easy with reliable companions!” Seriously, my wife burst out laughing the first time she heard that one.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I loved Angela’s Valley Sorceress vibe. It’s magical!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It’s a pretty great upgrade, and definitely a lot of fun. If you’ve stockpiled your Gold Item Seeda, they have a small chance of giving a piece of endgame gear for any of the Class 3’s you have active. I had about 18 after running through some of the Benevodons and got about five separate pieces that way. More if you count the repeats.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Having just finished my second play through, I 100% agree. It’s really nothing special, and I definitely already had “Final Dungeon Fatigue” going in both times which didn’t help.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, star anise is probably a bit too long. The floating platform transportation pad areas weren't necessary.

What level is high enough to beat the black rabite? I've got my team around 77 on medium, with my two strongest characters (Kevin and Riesz) equipped with their class 4 weapons.

I managed to beat him at around level 70 with Duran, Charlotte and Hawkeye, all D/L Class 4. I believe only Charlotte had her Class 4 weapon, but I definitely had to spam Cups at one point. I think I got lucky when Charlotte wound up the one up when I failed interrupting a Primal attack and it dropped a meteor on her adorable, magic resistant self.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

The only down side I see in the trials remake versus the original is the lack of multiplayer, and while multiplayer SNES Trials is fun I cannot say I miss it immensely.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Oh wow, that’s sure is one way to interpret those tiny sprites before the FF3 ads made it clear what they’re supposed to look like.

Edit: vv Oh my... That’s Palom and Porum, aren’t they? Did they just entirety ignore the in game art? I know the pixels don’t do Amano’s work justice, but even I could tell they were dorky kids with bowl cuts.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 5, 2020

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I decided to do a NG+ with a level reset on Expert mode with Hawkeye, Angela and Charlotte, with gear for Hawkeye and Charlotte. And ohhhhhhhh, man Angela dies at the drop of a hat. The other two are only lasting a little bit longer, but they aren’t getting one shot by bosses.

I’m planning on going D/L for Hawkeye to be ninja boss and debuff guy and L/D Charlotte for group weapon buffs. I’m not 100% sure what I wanna do for Angela. I’m torn between Magus and Grand Diviner.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

e: So I beat the Crimson Wizard, and two things stand out to me. One, I still only have 49 Lil Cactus sightings. It sounds like the final boss is at the Tree of Mana, which I've already explored that area. Unless a final dungeon opens up there, I'm missing one somehow (there wasn't one in Dragonsmaw) and I used the map to make sure I haven't missed any in the areas I've been to, or maybe there's a postgame dungeon that it's hiding in?

It could have to do with the second thing that stood out to me which is that in the final area of Dragonsmaw there was a locked door with a golden statue behind it and what looked like more dungeon, maybe that's postgame?

I don't believe it's postgame dungeon, but an endgame super boss. You SHOULD be able to get in there, I just can't remember what you have to do access it. I'm pretty sure the li'l area is where you fight The Black Rabite.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It’s funny to look at the concept art because so many of the sprites in FFA/SD1 were taken from Final Fantasy 3, particularly the humanoid NPCs; a lot of them are use the sprites for various Jobs. The Dark Lord, for example, uses the overworld sprite for the Mystic Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

The Mana series is kind of surprisingly miserable given its cutesy aesthetics. Is there actually a game in the line where Mana actually does something useful other than just heal some of the damage caused by bad guys trying to steal the power of Mana?

They’re all sort of creation myths, in the vein where a world ends and a new one begins, what with the Mana Goddess dying and being replaced in all of the ones I played. Legends is wildly more explicit about this, where the Goddess just rotted out in her own that knew time everyone was too scared to be corrupt enough to kill her when her time came.