Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

timp posted:

Not exactly sure if I understand what you're asking but the Secret of Mana included in the Collection of Mana seems to be a direct port from the SNES version as far as I can tell

I agree with you on the price, $40 felt a little steep for three old games, two of which I've basically already beaten about 3 times each. But as another poster mentioned above, I eventually just chalked it up to supporting the release of good classic games. I played SD3 for free for many years and hopefully at least some part of my $40 will go to the original developers.

For what it's worth, there's a lot of evidence that work went into this port beyond patching in an English translation. They greatly increased the length of the characters allowed when naming characters as well as what can be displayed in text boxes, which means they had to do some pretty heavy lifting in the actual game code to make that happen.

I also balk at the Square tax at times - I still don't think the SoM PS4 remake could justify $40, especially when held up against what they're doing for SD3 - but in this case I actually do think it's worth the price given what we already knew about how messy SD3's programming is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Taear posted:

Basically what Phantasium said - the remake was really clearly made by the people who made the phone ports and controlled like a phone game.
I just want to know if this version is like that or not. Because it not, it might even be worth playing.

The Collection of Mana games are basically ROM dumps, barring SD3's translation re-coding. They are all exactly as they appeared/behaved on original GB/SNES hardware.

edit: If you mean the PC/PS4/Vita Secret of Mana remake, it plays just like the original game almost to a fault. Aside from the new art, the only other new assets are a retranslation and some new vignettes at Inns. It behaves virtually identical to the SNES game, weird hitboxes and glitches and all.