Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please put Secret of Mana + in the OP, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've tried Secret of Mana a couple of times, never got far, and bounced off. I'm giving it another go. I'm the farthest I've ever been. Just fought that Tiger boss.

In the Switch thread, I asked about the party members. Someone said that magic is key. I can't figure out how to use magic, it doesn't seem to be anywhere in the menu. The party members just seem to be a total burden so far without magic because they just into enemies and die fast. And they can't level up because they die so fast. Where do I access their magic abilities?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok cool. I'll continue on. You never know with games from this era if there will be a tutorial, event, or if the game just expects you to already know.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm enjoying Secret of Mana! I just fought corrupted Santa Claus! This game is good poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress the Grand Palace. This place is confusing bullshit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat it! The Mana Beast was kinda bullshit because the Mana Sword had such a low charge time. I was just about to run out of MP before I killed it. But overall, that was good.

I started up Trials of Mana. Anything I should know? Also, I'm absolutely poo poo at allocating skill points in any RPGs. Any recommendations for what to allocate skill points in for my party? I chose Duran, the purple mage woman, and the amazon. (I don't have them in my party yet and just forgot their names.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really enjoying Trials of Mana so far. The combat is way better, and if the giant enemy crab is indication, so are the boss battles. I regret not playing this earlier in life. I'm drawn into it way more than my attempts at Secret of Mana were. I hope I can beat this before the remake comes out. (DQXI, Link's Awakening, and life are gonna derail this.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a decent walkthrough for Trials of Mana written yet? I dunno if there's a current go to one. I'd check for Secret of Mana 2 or Seiken Densetsu 3 walkthroughs but they'd probably be using the old names and terms or whatever has changed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alxprit posted:

I assume you're likely getting caught up on some sequence triggers in the early-game, of which there are a lot of annoying different ones. Is it about dwarves, perhaps?

So I had finished the Dwarves part. I went back to the start town (I'm terrible with remembering names of things) which was under attack by the mages. After that, the king said to go to Port Polo. And Von Boyage's brother was there saying he needed to set up canon. After finding a video walkthrough on YouTube, it turns out all I needed to do was talk to a random woman in a random house and the canon got built!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Complaining on the internet seems to be the best solution. I keep running into weird problems. So I'm trying to get the Minor Mallet. I find the guy who gives it to you. And this happened:

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1172237731403063303?s=19

He won't give it to me because he says I already got one. It's not in my inventory and I don't remember obtaining one. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1172241048640339968?s=19

The video I watched showed him give Duran the mallet and going on his merry way.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 12, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well piss. That worked. I didn't know there even was a storage limit. I expected it to work exactly like SoM.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You picked a good time to bump the thread because this bad boy came in today.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Trials of Mana remake is coming to Switch/PS4/Steam.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh snap, the back card thing has this on the back. Gonna definitely frame this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, yeah. Me too.

Maybe on Steam too if there's a crazy sale a few years from now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is a cool demo. I played maybe 1/3 of the original Trials of Mana on the Collection before stopping, but I enjoyed it. I don't have the nostalgia that a lot of you do, but I enjoyed seeing how they faithfully the stuff I did play. I picked Duran in my main in both versions. He's so very prototypical anime protagonist. I'm gonna be playing young anime swordsmen in video games until I die.

His hair is a fire hazard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now I want Chrono Trigger to get this treatment.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Valkyrie or Rune Maiden better for Reisz? I remember seeing some talk of this earlier in the thread but don't remember how far back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My team is Duran, Reisz, and Angela. (I'm also open to someone telling me what way to go for them too.) I get bad choice paralysis with RPG speccing.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Depends on the rest of your party. If you have someone else that can debuff (dark Hawkeye) then you can go Valkyrie for buffs. If you don't, go Rune Maiden because it's way easier to buff yourself via items and skills than it is to debuff the enemy with them.

Valkyrie's CS is an AoE while Rune Maiden's is single target if you care about that.

Ok, I think I'll go with Valkyrie since buffing my team will probably be more reliable than debuffing enemies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. Appreciate the tips.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wow the Ludgar fight is waaaay easier in the remake. Not getting stunlocked every second helps a ton.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This remake is great. They should remake Secret of Mana next! :suicide:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: double post

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat it! Fun game. Doing the prologue now.

I think the reviews of this game graded it on two different curves. It coming out weeks after FF7R, everyone knowing that Trials got maybe a fraction of FF7R's budget. The second curve being the horrendous Secret of Mana remake from a couple years ago.

But the game is snappy, looks beautiful, and truly exceeds it's SFC original in many ways. After I finish the prologue I'll put it down for a while and tackle the other characters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Minor spoiler for Duran's epilogue fight.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1259590749819043840?s=19

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 10, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I can't believe I've beaten this game twice in two days

Good thing I talked you out of not buying it.

The prologue is so fun. I'm regening MP so fast and the AI just basically realized that Angela should never not be spamming Ancient Curse.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, post game. I meant to say epilogue chapter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Duran being hyped for a Class 4 is straight up Goku trying for Super Saiyan God.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The biggest argument in favor of a Chrono Trigger remake would be a new version of the soundtrack and I'm always happy to hear more Chrono Trigger music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope the Japanese social media rep takes the time to read my beg tweet.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1362221146700095490?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should use the assets from Trials and make Trials of Mana 2, a direct sequel where you play as all six protagonists and each one of them remembers their story and ending from the first game as the canon one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Or they shut it down because they had a new mobile game in the pipeline.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's not a mobile game!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Yorkshire terrier mixed with a pangolin. If Square knows what they’re doing, they will have pushes available at the time of release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also, side note, Koichi Ishi looks so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I do like how he's talking about darker elements with the monsters while there are Rabites on screen, but then also that they have this almost horrible little scream they do.

I was glad. It makes it easier to rationalize slashing away at the adorable creatures.