Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played Hawk when I first played SD3 way back when. Don't remember who my party members were (Duran maybe?). Looking forward to getting into this again once I get home.

May give Secret of Mana another try. It's a game I keep bouncing off for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jazerus posted:

for people new to SD3/Trials:

most of the game is similar no matter what your party is, but the very beginning and the last dungeon are determined by your main character. the difficulty of the last dungeon varies (slightly) depending on your path

hawk and lise share a story. it's about witches and demons. their final dungeon is considered the hardest but hawk and lise are characters that routinely break the game across their knee so you should be fine
angela and duran share a story. it's about knights, sorcerers, and dragons. this is the middle-difficulty path but any party with angela is extremely strong so you're probably fine
kevin and charlotte share a story. It's about werewolves and clowns. this is easy by default because you're not going to lose with kevin or charlotte in the party

i feel like I'm doing duran a disservice but he is kind of the odd man out since his shields don't function (unless that was fixed) and he's strictly outclassed by kevin otherwise. any party composition is fine though - just keep in mind that your main character is the one that really matters. it's kinda nice to pair the characters that share a story together because they will both get relevant dialogue sometimes, but it's nothing huge especially for kevin and charlotte who aren't the most articulate folks anyway

Is Duran that screwed? I played Hawk years ago and I wanted to play another character.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played through a bit of each.

Good lord, I had forgotten how good Trials of Mana looked. And the localization is surprisingly good too! Started with Duran, Angela, and Kevin.

Question about SoM: Does that starting village get flattened at some point? Because they are all dicks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Allarion posted:

No they are dicks to the bitter end

Well I can only hope they never appear again then.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, FFA has some surprisingly good music. And actually plays pretty decently, like a poor mans Crystalis

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was wondering: Did Nassir have a hand in coding SD3? I mean, he is right there in the opening credits for Secret of Mana and I know he is able to do amazing things with hardware.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still trying to decide if I want this when I have a game or two that I am interested in playing in my backlog. What is the good word?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any issues with the PC port? I feel like I am on the edge of pulling the trigger

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, if you were going to remake SoM, I think you should take the opportunity to remake all the stuff that got cut from the original. Then you can hype the hell out of it as "a classic game that is FINALLY getting the full game we never had!" But doing what they did was probably cheaper.

It would have been nice to have that, but what are the chances that they even have the original content lying around in some form after close to two decades, in a company that is infamous for being lovely about preservation? Final Fantasy 8 did not get a port for the longest time because they lost the source code, and I thought I heard that FF8 Remastered was basically a hack, albeit a well done one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp, finally decided to pull the trigger. Opted to go with my Collection if Mana party (Duran, Angela, Kevin), that I, uh, never completed

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Duran doesn’t literally stand on the table when talking with the fortune teller. Original is automatically better.

EDIT: Kidding aside, I really like the art direction. It is budget, sure, but they seem to know how to stretch that budget.

Also...Tim Rodgers, back when we was doing videos for Kotaku, once said in his Xenoblade 2 review that the Xenoblade games have designers with an amazing eye for making areas that actually take advantage of 3D space. Trials of Mana isn't really close to that, at least from what I have seen up to Jadd, but for a remake of an SNES game, some of these maps are surprisingly and refreshingly vertical. Makes hunting down pots and items enjoyable.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb questions: I am guessing they did by virtue of it being a completely new engine, but they fixed Duran’s shields so that they work, as well as the bigger bugs in the SNES aversion, right?

Also, if I play through a beginning chapter of one of my companions, will I need to do so if I choose one of them as a main character in a future play through?