Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Just tell them you were in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Means you definitely can handle pressure.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

As someone who hires people and reviews resumes I can tell you that yes, gaps are something that are looked at and must be addressed in the resume or cover letter. With that said, any reasonable gap can be managed, especially if it can be spun as having been an enriching experience that informs your work. So a gap can be ignored or even considered an overall positive depending on how well they are spun.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Just don't have any typos on that son of a bitch or else it goes straight into the shredder.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Typos on a resume. The nerve.

hayden.

here's a goat on a pig or something
What happened to the raley's confectionary guy? His website says out of stock for everything and his thread was archived without a message so I assume he just closed up shop?

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

hamjobs posted:

Also I will legit overdose on sugar if you start making rock candy. Especially if they have tiny strawberry pictures in them. Strawberry rock candy is basically my favorite thing on this planet and I was sad when our goonfriend stopped making them. I'm pumped to see what you come up with!
You should be happy to hear that I had a phone conversation with Leroy back in January, and he was nice enough to give me his strawberry recipe for free! I can’t make candies that look very pretty, but I can make pretty dang tasty strawberry candy.

Maybe a byob giveaway is in order... give me like a month...

In the meantime, you may be interested to hear that Leroy sold most of his recipes to Wishing Treats in Vancouver. Not sure if they make it quite as well as he did, or that it won’t cost a ton to ship from Canada, but it might be worth a look.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

hayden. posted:

What happened to the raley's confectionary guy? His website says out of stock for everything and his thread was archived without a message so I assume he just closed up shop?
Yeah, he closed up shop and moved with his family out of the US. Now he works in the tech sector. It seems like he’s doing well, based on my one conversation with him. Definitely one of the nicest goons on this forum

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

blaise rascal posted:

You should be happy to hear that I had a phone conversation with Leroy back in January, and he was nice enough to give me his strawberry recipe for free! I can’t make candies that look very pretty, but I can make pretty dang tasty strawberry candy.

Maybe a byob giveaway is in order... give me like a month...

In the meantime, you may be interested to hear that Leroy sold most of his recipes to Wishing Treats in Vancouver. Not sure if they make it quite as well as he did, or that it won’t cost a ton to ship from Canada, but it might be worth a look.

omg i'm so glad it got passed to you; that strawberry is life. pumped!

wishing treats is good, but not the same as leroy's--although their lime is pretty good. i think it's because he was sooooo precise in the way he did things that it was super consistent and delicious every time.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Oops, I quit your job.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Putty posted:

Oops, I quit your job.

It appears you also poo poo my pants.

Well played, sir.

City of Glompton

hi br im happy for you! the candies were cute and good, good luck on your plans & adventures

Robot Made of Meat

Bo-Pepper posted:

Just don't have any typos on that son of a bitch or else it goes straight into the shredder.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Farecoal

There he go

Bo-Pepper posted:

:(

Goons Are Gifts

Taht's whatt autocratic si four!

google THIS

(scoffs) Oh yeah, welcome to the McDonald's family. When can you start, Mr. "Presadent?"

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bo-Pepper posted:

As someone who hires people and reviews resumes I can tell you that yes, gaps are something that are looked at and must be addressed in the resume or cover letter. With that said, any reasonable gap can be managed, especially if it can be spun as having been an enriching experience that informs your work. So a gap can be ignored or even considered an overall positive depending on how well they are spun.

Let's say, hypothetically, I have an 8 month gap in my resume between my first job and my second job, and the reason was because I was lazy and depressed and didn't know what to do with my life. How do I explain that in a way a hiring manager can understand? Or am I hosed?

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
well, you could fib and say you were doing some sort of gig work or trying to start a small business of some sort like lawn care or dog walking etc.

gig work is real common these days and is a plausible alibi imo

xcheopis

The Clowner posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, I have an 8 month gap in my resume between my first job and my second job, and the reason was because I was lazy and depressed and didn't know what to do with my life. How do I explain that in a way a hiring manager can understand? Or am I hosed?

Look sad and tell them you were dealing with a family matter.

lol but

body is a dinosaur

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Just tell them you were in jail

get real beefy and say "i was working on my gains" then do the pec dance thing

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Show them your new line of guinea pig fashion.

Goons Are Gifts

Just show them that sexual snail, they'll understand.

TheShrike

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

blaise rascal posted:

Oh, also: I built a warming table, so I can try to make image candy, like that goon Leroy Diplowski used to do. Gonna try selling it at farmers’ markets as cottage food

tbh i thought you were going to make those hard candies out of that table - only because i have no idea how making those actually works. activated my sweet tooth for sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

It's heartwarming that you guys are kinda supporting me in this odd business endeavor!

TheShrike posted:

tbh i thought you were going to make those hard candies out of that table - only because i have no idea how making those actually works. activated my sweet tooth for sure though.
Nah, that's a table that keeps the sugar warm & malleable while you're forming it into different shapes. It's pretty much just a bain-marie with a sheet of aluminum on top, with some nonstick teflon covering the aluminum.

I'm currently researching ingredients. Hard candy is normally made with a combination of white table sugar and a syrup, such as corn syrup. Hmm, should I use corn syrup, or brown rice syrup? The answer is clear if I want to appear to be a wholesome business: Cliff Bars, Yum Organic Lollipops, and others have fully embraced brown rice syrup as a seemingly healthier corn syrup substitute. But it's not clear to me that it's really much different from corn syrup. God, there's so much misinformation out there; people are on a rampage against high fructose corn syrup due to the presence of fructose, without even realizing that regular table sugar is about 55% fructose...

I just kinda hate brown rice syrup because it's NOT healthy, just like every other sugar, but it "sounds" healthier (brown rice is commonly touted as a health food). Oh well, I guess first of all I should actually order some and try using it in a batch, to see if it works as well as corn syrup.