Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cadence of Hyrule is the result of a rather unique situation where Nintendo allowed indie developer Brace Yourself Games to use one of their IPs to make a crossover game. It is a followup to 2015's Crypt of the Necrodancer, a game in which players explore procedurally generated dungeons in which all actions, including combat, take place along with the rhythm of the music. In Cadence of Hyrule, the character Cadence from CotN has found herself in the land we know and love from the Zelda games, and you can choose to play Link or Zelda and explore the land of Hyrule, traversing an overworld and diving dungeons all while following the beat of the music.

Since the game is not out until June 13th, not all details are known yet, so this OP will get touched up once the game releases and I have a better understanding of the systems and mechanics at play. Some interesting details known so far:

-The beat bar disappears when all enemies are defeated on an overworld screen, allowing free movement.
-The overworld is generated procedurally at the start of a run. Dungeon layouts are generated upon entrance, and seem to be rerolled upon re-entering.
-No permadeath, at least in the main story. If you die certain pieces of equipment lose durability/loss of diamonds, but you don't have to restart the entire run over.
-Seems minibosses (and potentially major bosses) will have targeting indicators for what squares they'll hit, at least with some attacks. That will definitely be good for accessibility for players who are still learning patterns.
-Contains at least 25 remixed tracks from the Zelda series.

Game is Switch exclusive and will release to the eShop for $25 in the US, cost may vary for other regions.
A Kotaku video of footage from the e3 floor concisely explains some noteworthy mechanical details

Keeping the OP simple for now but once the game is out and we know a lot more I'll improve it until it becomes a more robust information resource.

To add in the future:
-Differences between characters (some are known, but there might be more so I'm holding off on that for now)
-Beginner's tips

Any suggestions for OP/second post content welcome. This is a bit rough right now but this will be improved over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Reserved second post just in case.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm excited for this, but I have to say this one more time...

The existence of this game is a complete paradox to me. How in the world did somebody convince Nintendo executives to let an indie developer touch one of their IPs and make a crossover?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Can't wait for those Danny B. Zelda remixes to be injected into my brain. I haven't even played Necrodancer and I'm excited for this.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I read an article with a dev interview, apparently they wanted to make a DLC to add Zelda characters and Nintendo came to them with the idea to just straight up have it be a Zelda game. I would love to know what kind of standards or rules they had to follow.

The game looks extremely polished from everything I'm seeing and the spritework is just gorgeous.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:dogcited:

Roluth posted:

The existence of this game is a complete paradox to me. How in the world did somebody convince Nintendo executives to let an indie developer touch one of their IPs and make a crossover?
I can't be bothered to find the article but the story is crazier than you'd think. IIRC the devs wanted to maybe add a Zelda character as DLC for their next Necrodancer game, but when they asked Nintendo about it they were instead asked "why don't you just make it a Zelda game?"

it was Nintendo's idea

e: beaten

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I know we'll never know, but I have to wonder what the revenue split is.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
One thing I want to know is if seeded runs will be possible because this is totally a game I would play competitively and that would do a lot for the viability of it. Still going to play the hell out of it either way but I hope that's a thing.

ItBreathes posted:

I know we'll never know, but I have to wonder what the revenue split is.

I would guess they at least got a sensible deal since the game is going for $25. There's definitely a meaningful connection between the price and the IP, but it actually came out cheaper than I anticipated.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can’t wait for this game. I hope it does well enough where Nintendo gives other indies a chance with their IPs.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I have absolutely no proof for this being what actually happened, but as an avid Elite Beat Agents fan I recall that Reggie has always expressed particular fondness for EBA and rhythm games in general. No idea if he was involved in getting Cadance of Hyrule made, but it seems plausible to me at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Well it's 15 minutes past midnight in Germany here and they just put up the new Larry game and Radiation City, whatever that is. Guess it's not getting a midnight release :( Gonna have to go to bed and then obsessively refresh the eShop at work all day.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

abraxas posted:

Well it's 15 minutes past midnight in Germany here and they just put up the new Larry game and Radiation City, whatever that is. Guess it's not getting a midnight release :( Gonna have to go to bed and then obsessively refresh the eShop at work all day.
not only that but Cadence is still listed as "Planned release date:" instead of "Playable from:" :tinfoil:

I need it nowwwww

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just to be clear Cadence is in the game and is a 3rd option to play as right? I really like the features that make it less of a rogue-like and give it a slightly more regular progression. I love Necrodancer but it can be real hard, and thus a bit discouraging. This should help with that greatly.

Also, it's what? 1 buck per song? Makes it a decent Bandcamp playlist ultimately. It's cool they took a page out of Smash's book and packaged a game with it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Playable Cadence status: unsure. Seems like at least for a first playthrough the game wants you to stick to Zelda/Link from what I can tell, but I would be shocked if the game didn't have a free mode or an unlock to play as Cadence given that she's front and center in all the title images.

Here's hopin'.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Roluth posted:

Your Computer posted:

:dogcited:

I can't be bothered to find the article but the story is crazier than you'd think. IIRC the devs wanted to maybe add a Zelda character as DLC for their next Necrodancer game, but when they asked Nintendo about it they were instead asked "why don't you just make it a Zelda game?"

it was Nintendo's idea

e: beaten

Miyamoto and Aonuma actually played Crypt of the Necrodancer and found it really addictive. So they were already on board with the game before they were approached about Zelda DLC.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://gonintendo.com/stories/332119-miyamoto-and-aonuma-were-key-in-making-cadence-of-hyrule-happen

There you all go. ninja edit: sorta beaten

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
So that OP image, is that Vaati in the back there? Because if so conductor Vaati is a cool design and I love it.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Bless Miyamoto and Aonuma, then. Because this happening is still really goddamn cool.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just to be clear Cadence is in the game and is a 3rd option to play as right? I really like the features that make it less of a rogue-like and give it a slightly more regular progression. I love Necrodancer but it can be real hard, and thus a bit discouraging. This should help with that greatly.

Also, it's what? 1 buck per song? Makes it a decent Bandcamp playlist ultimately. It's cool they took a page out of Smash's book and packaged a game with it.

Wanted to answer this question again because I noticed the JP eshop has different screenshots, one of which shows Cadence fighting in a dungeon with 11 hearts. Cadence is probably playable later in the game, as an unlock, or a different mode.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I can't believe this is a real game and I'm so goddamn hyped for it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The trailer yesterday said "fight to the beat as Cadence, and play as Link and Zelda," and showed all three as playable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:yossame:

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
I can't wait for unlockable playable character: Kass.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
There gonna be a physical release?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm most curious for how much it's gonna feel like a Nintendo game or not. From all the trailers it really just looks like a reskin of Crypt but Crypt is also pretty rough around the edges with how it handles menus and stuff. Hopefully Nintendo went all in with lending a hand and giving it that particular amount of polish. Also hoping for a ton of Zelda lore elements.

Regardless of how deep or different it actually is, the graphics are insanely gorgeous and the music will be incredibly hype. I can't wait.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

E2M2 posted:

There gonna be a physical release?

Probably not until one of the small-press companies do one, possibly as a combo pack. Certainly not tomorrow.

American McGay posted:

I'm most curious for how much it's gonna feel like a Nintendo game or not. From all the trailers it really just looks like a reskin of Crypt but Crypt is also pretty rough around the edges with how it handles menus and stuff. Hopefully Nintendo went all in with lending a hand and giving it that particular amount of polish. Also hoping for a ton of Zelda lore elements.

Regardless of how deep or different it actually is, the graphics are insanely gorgeous and the music will be incredibly hype. I can't wait.

As you've already noticed, the graphics have been improved significantly. I take that as a sign of Nintendo stepping in and help smoothing over the rough edges.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I wouldn't call it a reskin in any sense, it has larger sprites, the dance floor seems to follow the player, the game flow is overworld -> dungeons not just a wholly linear progression, it's been shown there will be puzzles and progression items, some of which I'd bet will have active use for traversal. Of course a Necrodancer followup is gonna have a lot in common mechanically with the original game but I wouldn't call Super Mario World a reskin of SMB 3.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Trinexx posted:

I can't wait for unlockable playable character: Kass.

Be still my heart.

He would be perfect.

Now i wanna see a Kass sprite.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No midnight release? 😒

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lame

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yo it's the 13th why isn't this out yet

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very much a first wold problem, but if they let you preorder a game then that game should unlock at midnight. Even better, just have the whole thing update at midnight. It seems weird that there's always so much ambiguity but then again I don't run an eShop so I'm not sure what kind of hazards that entails.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't care when it unlocks, it's just that they should tell us when it unlocks.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

BattleMaster posted:

I don't care when it unlocks, it's just that they should tell us when it unlocks.

I agree with this, one thing I do like on ps4 when I've done a preload is it's very clear about the exact time the game will unlock.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Let me turn on permadeath, Nintendo.

I want to feel the pain.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Looks like the Treehouse (Nintendo E3 show thing) will be showing a bunch of indie stuff today. I would bet that the release is linked to when it is showed on that stream.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Roluth posted:

Looks like the Treehouse (Nintendo E3 show thing) will be showing a bunch of indie stuff today. I would bet that the release is linked to when it is showed on that stream.

For some reason I thought the Treehouse didn't get a third day. Neat! I'll be tuning in if Cadence doesn't come out at noon (I'm in EDT).