Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So there is an otomatone in the soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/mklachu/status/1139255627522252805?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The two damage spear seems hilariously overpowered, I'm running around with 70-something diamonds and over 1000 rupees and nothing can touch me.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
As someone who loves CotN and the Zelda series this really is the perfect blend of both.

With regards to replayability, before starting the game I looked in the custom run options and yes, you can type in a seed! Additionally there is an option to turn on permadeath, and there are daily challenge runs.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The song is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8rbAjn4W0E

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Frankston posted:

The two damage spear seems hilariously overpowered, I'm running around with 70-something diamonds and over 1000 rupees and nothing can touch me.

A longsword equivalent was always the best overall weapon in Necrodancer. Good range and good control over your movement.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh poo poo the windmill song is in this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

same, except three times as many diamonds and rupees

I died over and over until I could start a run with a spear, I've been using it since and nothing can touch me. I've explored most of the map now and done a couple of dungeons, game is loving awesome

American McGay posted:

d'ya like jazz?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

This just in: the soundtrack fuckin slaps

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

This game is incredible

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

holy poo poo that gerudo valley remix

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My problem with this and CotN is that I have a habit of trying to move on the off-beat rather than the best. It's like my mind wants to fill the gaps between beats.

It's not a huge problem unless it gets hectic. I've yet to use the hookshot without missing a beat though.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

American McGay posted:

Hell yes

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just finished, game was awesome, an excellent 5 hours. Played exclusively as Zelda, because of course, spent the whole game wishing for a non-glass rapier, just like in necrodancer. Finally got one from the castle vault, i.e. the ultimate version, and got the plan rapier halfway through the final dungeon, so thanks RNG, but an obsidian spear got me through the bulk of the game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Just finished, game was awesome, an excellent 5 hours.

What all is there for replayability?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's dailies and seeded runs. Nothing else at the moment from what I've seen.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zerilan posted:

What all is there for replayability?

It doesn't look like completing the game unlocks anything, so the three modes that are available at the start of the game, story, single-character and daily challenge are the lot. Also no additional characters so far as I can tell, just Cadence/Link/Zelda.

Bit of a bummer I guess? I figure that unless I was trying to actively speedrun the game I couldn't get through a whole playthrough of the game again in under 2.5 hours so that's too long for me to seriously consider regular playthroughs the way I did with Necrodancer, so I probably won't replay it much.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

All I want is more characters with different gimmicks and maybe a mode that skips the overworld and just strings the dungeons together in order for quicker runs.

[e] Also the zelda items mesh really well with necrodancer's gameplay. I never really used anything but the healing items in the first game, but I can work the items in this in my groove nicely. Like, reflecting nuts with the deku leaf as soon as the shrubs shoot is super satisfying.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 14, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

Also no additional characters so far as I can tell, just Cadence/Link/Zelda.
not true :ssh:

I'm stuck right now. Killed the 4 bosses but can't progress further, I know I need some sort of Hibiscus Potion but I've explored the entire map and have no idea where to find it. Even the hint system isn't helping, since it's just pointing me to Link

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Reveilled posted:

It doesn't look like completing the game unlocks anything, so the three modes that are available at the start of the game, story, single-character and daily challenge are the lot. Also no additional characters so far as I can tell, just Cadence/Link/Zelda.

Huh. Any unlockables in general, then? I liked the system Necrodancer had.

Also 'sides turning permadeath on are there any ways to increase the difficulty?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Your Computer posted:

I'm stuck right now. Killed the 4 bosses but can't progress further, I know I need some sort of Hibiscus Potion but I've explored the entire map and have no idea where to find it. Even the hint system isn't helping, since it's just pointing me to Link

The potion is in Kakariko Crypt under the cemetery.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Your Computer posted:

Re: potion
it's under the big grave in the village

Re: characters, who? How? I guess I missed them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This game isn't clicking with me at all. I can't figure out any of the enemy patterns. The first screen has those blue spear guys and they keep killing me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks, everyone

Reveilled posted:

Re: potion
it's under the big grave in the village

Re: characters, who? How? I guess I missed them.
there's at least one you can unlock by giving deku seeds to Tingle

another question: there are a couple of spots where the map tells me there's a hidden entrance and/or chest (death mountain) but there's no cracked wall or other obvious entrance. Any idea how to find them?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are the diamond upgrades offered when you die permanent upgrades, or just for the next run? I suck so far and don't want to waste my diamonds. :ohdear:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Holy poo poo, and from mklachu no less.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

Holy poo poo, and from mklachu no less.
holy poo poo I missed that

that's incredible :allears:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Your Computer posted:

there's at least one you can unlock by giving deku seeds to Tingle

I didn't even realise the seeds were for Tingle the whole game because I only talked to him once, just unlocked Yves. Looks like he can be used in single-character mode if you want to play the whole game as him. Gotta say, was kind of hoping Tingle would be the playable one.

Fake edit: oh god I'm not good enough at this game to play Yves-only

quote:

another question: there are a couple of spots where the map tells me there's a hidden entrance and/or chest (death mountain) but there's no cracked wall or other obvious entrance. Any idea how to find them?

Use your Zelda 1 instincts

Staircase under one of the armos statues

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are the diamond upgrades offered when you die permanent upgrades, or just for the next run? I suck so far and don't want to waste my diamonds. :ohdear:

Just for the next run, but diamonds are more common than you think, I finished the game with over 200 of them left over.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just beat the first dungeon

game owns

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The Gerudo track is seriously one of the best remixes I’ve ever heard, this game seriously slaps and I haven’t even reached a dungeon yet :allears:

Does anyone have any advice on the yellow lizalfos enemies with an ax? They have a two-block hit range that is easy to dodge and punish but I for the life of me cannot bait it out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do I get the heart piece outside of the Lost Swamp boss room?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just beat the final boss :toot:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not sure if I should restart on idiot baby mode or not :negative:

Trying to keep everything down in my head while maintaining the beat is a lot harder than I imagined. Just saving Link took me like 3-4 tries........

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure if I should restart on idiot baby mode or not :negative:

Trying to keep everything down in my head while maintaining the beat is a lot harder than I imagined. Just saving Link took me like 3-4 tries........

You can enable this in options and then disable it again once you’ve passed the hard part.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well, knowing there's daily runs and secrets to find makes me feel better about this, beating it in 4 hours and not knowing about dailies I could do made me feel like it wasn't quite worth the 30 I spent at first.

Speaking of secrets Anyone figure out how to wake the zora prince yet?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Zoig posted:

Well, knowing there's daily runs and secrets to find makes me feel better about this, beating it in 4 hours and not knowing about dailies I could do made me feel like it wasn't quite worth the 30 I spent at first.

Speaking of secrets Anyone figure out how to wake the zora prince yet?

You can bomb the fish ghosts, and it'll spawn another enemy you have to kill.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god, what the hell do I do when a huge group of enemies surrounds me?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's, uh, kind of a bummer to hear it's so short? I'd rather not read the spoilers but is the stuff you're talking about like little piece-of-heart type secrets or something that adds real replayability?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Oh god, what the hell do I do when a huge group of enemies surrounds me?

pretty sure the only answer is "don't get into that situation in the first place" :v:

e: the file select screen makes it look like there are 5 characters, has anyone found that many yet?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
For dealing with big groups of enemies there are lots of options and it really depends on your loadout. Being situationally aware is always important, for example you might be able to retreat into a tunnel and force them into a bottleneck, you could pop a freeze scroll, set a bomb and retreat to take out the ones nearest you, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

That's, uh, kind of a bummer to hear it's so short? I'd rather not read the spoilers but is the stuff you're talking about like little piece-of-heart type secrets or something that adds real replayability?

Compared to necrodancer the game gets balls easy about 30 mins to a hour simply due to how much control you have over what you bring into fights as well as multiple use items at a time, not to mention no permadeath and legend of zelda levels of hp. That being said it does have custom game options like seeds, permadeath and doubletime and those will probably be your source of replayability if you like a challenge. Also daily runs, I guess, but I can't find the option.