Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It is kinda weird that, aside from weapon enchants, you only need to spend like a dozen diamonds. The game is insanely generous with currency and then it's pretty useless.

Even if you're super careless and just chug potions you're still just swimming in rupees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The game seems designed for you to die after a certain point (so your rupees reset), but the witch is so op. Potion cost scaling then resetting between deaths seems like the only solution I can think of.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Secret question: Yves is supposed to have some sort of shooting attack, right? I started a single character run with him and I don't know how to activate it. I have burtow, but. Am I supposed to pick up the shoot somewhere?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tom Gorman posted:

Finished my first permadeath run and this is a mode I can see myself doing quite a few playthroughs with.

Once you get to the point where you have the witch hut access and bottles the tension does disappear, but I still came extremely close to loving up multiple times.

My biggest hopes for what to add in the future:

- Something to make rupees useful. Why are rupees so pointless?
- Go full Binding of Isaac and add a million unlockable items you can get with diamonds. Even if they're bad, gotta keep that hamster wheel turning. Cursed chests and stuff would be a great idea. Open the chest and lose 4 heart containers but gain some other effect or something
- More weapon variety

I think a mode either removing or making potions much more expensive should be added.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I'm at Hyrule castle on story mode playthrough. I've unlocked the fourth character and got pretty much everything except the last two equippable badges/key item type things and a third bottle.

Any chance the two key item things are in hyrule castle? I've pretty much given up on the third bottle as I've visited every shopkeeper on the map.

Also - each of the four dungeons I went to had 2 pieces of heart in (one in the shop first level, one in the dungeon somewhere else) there was a piece of heart reward for bombchu bowling and arrow shooting as well if that helps anyone. I'm assuming if you do even better you get increased bombs/arrows.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's a guy on youtube that cranks the difficulty of everything he plays way too high just for fun, so of course he beats the hardest mode no damage with the secret character. You can see him taking down every boss here

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Well I got 10 max bombs and 20 max arrows and found the third bottle. I didn't realise that the bottles were sold by Beedle, who has a brown icon on the map.

He was also selling a spear. Wish i'd found him before getting the special broadsword.

EDIT: I figured out what the two items I was missing are Gears and Deku Seeds, both spent

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Beedle's got some, but I'm pretty sure the third one is always sold by the Vire-looking guy down on the beach.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This game is great once you get a feel for it. I wish it was longer but imagine I'm going to do at least a few runs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only things I really want are more exclusive items for everyone to play with and another biome or two. Nothing more demoralizing than going through a boss cave and getting rupees for your reward.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Beating this game finally made me pick up CotN after putting it off for so long and uh... turns out I like CotN a whole lot more. Guess that worked out well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On a new run I found the third bottle in the swamp region so either it was always bullshit about it being in the cliffs or they do, in fact, wander far and wide.

The one has always been on the beach so far with the manta ray guy

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

Secret question: Yves is supposed to have some sort of shooting attack, right? I started a single character run with him and I don't know how to activate it. I have burtow, but. Am I supposed to pick up the shoot somewhere?

How do you start a single character run with him - or do you have to unlock him in the new file as well and then switch?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When he's unlocked, yeah, you can just start a new file and he'll be there as one of the options: Random, Cadence, Link, Zeldy, and Yves.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

When he's unlocked, yeah, you can just start a new file and he'll be there as one of the options: Random, Cadence, Link, Zeldy, and Yves.

Thanks. I didn't notice the little story mode icon on custom game can be switched. I'm thinking i'll try a run with him later without permadeath first

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Frustratingly, going off 'Story Mode' still gives you tutorials.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You can turn those off? Unless you mean the explanations of major items when collected which you can quickly mash through.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So I know that turning on Permadeath scales up the difficulty, but what about Single-Character mode? Does that change the difficulty at all from story mode on its own?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think the difficulty is based solely on the randomness of the seed. I'm not sure if it's possible to do a non-random single character mode or not but the story mode is pretty easy and anything other than that is a crapshoot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I started a random seed run with Yves and holy poo poo one loving heart and minibosses all around me. Chests containing like a bomb or something. I haven't found a single heart piece or anything I can actually use.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You don't get more than one heart as Yves.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You don’t get any extra weapons for him either. You’re stuck with a 1-damage “dagger” that is actually just him headbutting dudes cuz he’s got no arms

at least he’s not Coda

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Am I the only one who prefers the dagger? Whenever I have another weapon, I regularly blunder away health because I don't realize I'm going to attack when I do.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've gotten way too comfortable with the broadsword and cheesing enemies from around corners. You can basically take down an entire crypt spawn room without even letting anyone escape.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

nrook posted:

Am I the only one who prefers the dagger? Whenever I have another weapon, I regularly blunder away health because I don't realize I'm going to attack when I do.

Yes yes you are. Maybe the broadsword and flail are easy to gently caress up and lunging with the rapier can land you in trouble.

But spear? Spear is life dude. It's dagger but you don't have to be next to a baddie. There's no accidents because it's just straight ahead. It's safe and wonderful and wins you the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yes yes you are. Maybe the broadsword and flail are easy to gently caress up and lunging with the rapier can land you in trouble.

But spear? Spear is life dude. It's dagger but you don't have to be next to a baddie. There's no accidents because it's just straight ahead. It's safe and wonderful and wins you the game.
Spear is just an organic way of letting people enable easy mode

I died over and over until I could start a run with the spear and then completed the entire game without dying

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CoH isn't long enough to get good at using the more finicky weapons like the flail. Necrodancer forces you to learn them and you find out every weapon is great compared to the dagger, but I definitely stuck to obsidian/titanium spear until I found the royal rapier.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I think obsidian broadsword is the way to go. I only switch back to dagger/shortsword to make it easier to deal with getting behind Iron Knuckles then I immediately switch back.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with the purple octodudes you can summon by using the monster buttons in the dungeons? Is this just meant to be a 'trap' to avoid or are they for something?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

What's the deal with the purple octodudes you can summon by using the monster buttons in the dungeons? Is this just meant to be a 'trap' to avoid or are they for something?
I never actually figured out what those buttons did. They didn't appear to be spawning anything but then again I wasn't looking too closely.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They spawn the octopus ghosts that function like the ghosts that would randomly spawn in Necrodancer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

I never actually figured out what those buttons did. They didn't appear to be spawning anything but then again I wasn't looking too closely.

They seem to usually come in pairs. I spawned a block on one and stood on the other and after these purple things kept spawning. Seemed ... odd

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The spear trivializes a lot of enemies; I got it early on in my first run and didn't have to learn how to fight a lot of monsters properly. I had to learn really quickly on subsequent runs where I didn't get the spear so easily :v:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

The spear trivializes a lot of enemies; I got it early on in my first run and didn't have to learn how to fight a lot of monsters properly. I had to learn really quickly on subsequent runs where I didn't get the spear so easily :v:

Same. There gets to be a point where if you have a titanium spear and enough hearts you can just do whatever you want because you kill things really fast and if they do hit you normally get enough heart pickups from clearing a screen that it doesn't really matter.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anything is better than standard dagger or short sword, with the possible exception of standard flail.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Bogart posted:

Anything is better than standard dagger or short sword, with the possible exception of standard flail.

Flail is weird but still better than dagger... you can still do normal bump attacks with it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bogart posted:

Not quite - the flail never stops your movement, and can always be used to smack things as if it were a dagger, so even if you just treat it like a dagger, you'll get some free hits in as you move around incidentally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I forget how many of these were in CoH but it can really screw you up with guys that can block. Zone 4 of necrodancer has a few enemies that are so dang annoying with the flail.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only real conflict I ran into was that iron knuckles were basically impossible to kill with the broadsword but I usually just used bombs rather than dealing with switching weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

American McGay posted:

The only real conflict I ran into was that iron knuckles were basically impossible to kill with the broadsword but I usually just used bombs rather than dealing with switching weapons.

This is "late game"-ish, but don't forget that the Great Bow's piercing attack does in fact do piercing damage and is the super easy way of killing Iron Knuckles once you get it.

Edit: this applies to all shielded enemies. Shoot those sword and shield knights in the face.