Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zoig posted:

Also daily runs, I guess, but I can't find the option.

On the "select mode" screen:

While highlighting the top option for the mode, press right twice or left once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Can someone explain what you're supposed to do in that room in the Hyrule Castle trial with all the statues shooting fire?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out literally a minute after posting this and now feel stupid.

Darth Nat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 14, 2019

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Your Computer posted:

thanks, everyone

there's at least one you can unlock by giving deku seeds to Tingle

I did the thing, and all I got was a stamina upgrade.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roluth posted:

I did the thing, and all I got was a stamina upgrade.

more

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

...Is there a way to get more?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah im confused too I've only found 12 in total and while i have all the map charms i cant find anymore on the map.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 14, 2019

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
This game worth $25?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

E2M2 posted:

This game worth $25?

Hell yeah

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

E2M2 posted:

This game worth $25?

It’s super charming and the music really whips the lynel’s rear end. Some might not like a $25 game lasting a handful of hours, but that’s the perfect length for me. Plus I can go through NG+ as the character I didn’t pick this round for double the fun. Overall it’s chill and not punishing. After recently beating Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells, it’s a nice change of pace.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is the soundtrack available yet? I need to be listening to this constantly like fuckin yesterday.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
With the randomization aspects it's a game that you're meant to run repeatedly and have fun experiencing differently and getting better at it. Some such as myself will easily put triple digit hours into this, others might play it once and feel that was enough. Regardless of playtime the game bleeds charm in terms of music, art style and good design.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do you unlock the other character as you play through, or is the choice at the beginning basically "who are you for this run?"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

Do you unlock the other character as you play through, or is the choice at the beginning basically "who are you for this run?"

you unlock them

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

You unlock the other characters and can switch whenever at Sheikah Stones.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This game is actually so much fun. I'm really bad and die at stupid things but god drat I'm loving the whole zelda overworld thing going on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or is Link's shield 100% better than Zelda's magic one? You don't need to time your presses and it doesn't use up any stamina...

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Is it just me or is Link's shield 100% better than Zelda's magic one? You don't need to time your presses and it doesn't use up any stamina...

I think the tradeoff here is that Din's Fire is way better than Link's spin attack.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Steve2911 posted:

Link's shield can't block attacks from the sides, and as far as I can tell you can't turn to block on narrow ledges without falling down.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Also you later get a improved defensive ability, so while link gets to attack through their shield, zelda gets to hold her barrier for more than a beat.

Usually I'm not for playing games with permadeath but after beating this the first time I probably will simply because it sounds fun and the game really feels like it was designed with that in mind.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 14, 2019

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I beat Cadence. It was fun, absolutely not worth $25 though. $15 would be more fair for the amount of content imo, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known how short it is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t care, I just want more Zelda.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Frankston posted:

I beat Cadence. It was fun, absolutely not worth $25 though. $15 would be more fair for the amount of content imo, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known how short it is.

How many seeds did you do?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Not everyone is interested in playing through the same game multiple times

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Takoluka posted:

One, and that's enough for me. I feel I saw everything it had to offer and I don't really care to play through it again.

It's also incredibly easy. Once you get a spear (or any weapon with a range greater than 1) that's pretty much game over.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Andrast posted:

Not everyone is interested in playing through the same game multiple times

Frankston posted:

One, and that's enough for me. I feel I saw everything it had to offer and I don't really care to play through it again.

It's also incredibly easy. Once you get a spear (or any weapon with a range greater than 1) that's pretty much game over.

Perhaps this was a failure in marketing, but I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Crypt of the Necrodancer game that they only intended to play once.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Perhaps this was a failure in marketing, but I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Crypt of the Necrodancer game that they only intended to play once.

I guess my main problem is how easy it is to beat.

I had (am having, only got it a few days ago) a lot of fun with Crypt because of how brutal it is and I'm still yet to beat Zone 4. I have hundreds of hours in roguelites like Gungeon and FTL because I love how hard it is to complete a run in those and that drives me to keep playing.

There's no real urge for me to play Cadence again now I've beat it.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

See, that's why I'm going to try playing with permadeath, losing nothing when dying takes all the challenge out of the game.

That being said, I accidentally deleted my save so I have to replay the whole game to unlock something I heard about but I'm not that miffed about it because its a fun but short game.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 14, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frankston posted:

I guess my main problem is how easy it is to beat.

I had (am having, only got it a few days ago) a lot of fun with Crypt because of how brutal it is and I'm still yet to beat Zone 4. I have hundreds of hours in roguelites like Gungeon and FTL because I love how hard it is to complete a run in those and that drives me to keep playing.

There's no real urge for me to play Cadence again now I've beat it.

There are options for you. In fact, I might even switch to permadeath once I’m done.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Having never played Crypt of the Necrodancer, this game is plenty challenging and I doubt I'll be finishing it lickety split. It might be easier than Crypt but it's not easy for someone who hasn't played that one, at least for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pollyanna posted:

There are options for you. In fact, I might even switch to permadeath once I’m done.

Are there any options for difficulty other than permadeath? I've been watching some streams of this, and while the game itself looks fun and full of charm, it does seem very easy. Especially coming from the Necrodancer devs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any options for difficulty other than permadeath? I've been watching some streams of this, and while the game itself looks fun and full of charm, it does seem very easy. Especially coming from the Necrodancer devs.

Yes, you can also speed up the beat, making you have to move and think faster.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Takoluka posted:

It's the tradeoff you make when you remove permadeath. It's not a game you replay and improve at until you master it enough to beat it - it's a campaign you play through and complete.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes, you can also speed up the beat, making you have to move and think faster.

Any challenge characters that changes the rules like in Necrodancer?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Broken Cog posted:

Any challenge characters that changes the rules like in Necrodancer?

Yes. Tingle can unlock one of them.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

golden bubble posted:

Yes. Tingle can unlock one of them.

How, precisely? People keep saying it has something to do with the Deku Nuts, but I can't find a way to get more than 12.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I am apparently sitting on 20 deku nuts, I know I found a lot of mine in the north.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zoig posted:

See, that's why I'm going to try playing with permadeath, losing nothing when dying takes all the challenge out of the game.

That being said, I accidentally deleted my save so I have to replay the whole game to unlock something I heard about but I'm not that miffed about it because its a fun but short game.

Yeah, I kind of feel like there should be some middle ground between the default difficulty and permadeath. The way it is now, I'm dying quite a bit but there aren't really consequences for that, so I'm just kind of beating my head against each screen until I finish it. I guess I lose my rupees and consumable items but rupees seem to only buy consumable items, and I always get a shovel and torch from the first 3-4 enemies I kill after respawning anyway. The boots and rings don't seem to dramatically impact my play enough to be a real loss.

The game is fun, but feels kind of "weightless", if that makes sense.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
Has anyone started a non-Story run yet? Can you use your unlockables to start fresh on the same save our do you have to do something wired? I'll probably be finishing up this evening and just want to make sure I'm not doing something dumb.

Also you can tell there are a fair amount of alternative ways to progress though certain areas and very mild short cuts you can do. I got a lot of use out of the item cane of somaria.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I kind of feel like there should be some middle ground between the default difficulty and permadeath. The way it is now, I'm dying quite a bit but there aren't really consequences for that, so I'm just kind of beating my head against each screen until I finish it. I guess I lose my rupees and consumable items but rupees seem to only buy consumable items, and I always get a shovel and torch from the first 3-4 enemies I kill after respawning anyway. The boots and rings don't seem to dramatically impact my play enough to be a real loss.

The game is fun, but feels kind of "weightless", if that makes sense.

Yeah the rings & boots & torches didn't really make a blind bit of difference to how I was playing and a lot of the time I didn't even notice if I didn't have any equipped. A lot of the unlockable items seemed pointless too: Rito feather, the deku leaf, fire and ice rods in particular. Also the flippers which I didn't get until after I beat the game.

Playable characters chat:

Who is the 5th pc? I have Link, Zelda, Cadence and Deku scrub and there appears to be one more slot to fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Permadeath mode seems to have a higher base level of difficulty than regular, or maybe it's the difference between story and single-character. The shops are twice as expensive and late-game palette swaps were spawning right from the start. Getting a palette-swapped Lynel in the first screen right of Link's house was a bit of an eye-opener.

I beat the regular game with four total deaths but I've died at least ten times without even finding a single weapon or completing a heart container. It's tough.