Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:dogcited:

Roluth posted:

I'm excited for this, but I have to say this one more time...

The existence of this game is a complete paradox to me. How in the world did somebody convince Nintendo executives to let an indie developer touch one of their IPs and make a crossover?
I can't be bothered to find the article but the story is crazier than you'd think. IIRC the devs wanted to maybe add a Zelda character as DLC for their next Necrodancer game, but when they asked Nintendo about it they were instead asked "why don't you just make it a Zelda game?"

it was Nintendo's idea

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

abraxas posted:

Well it's 15 minutes past midnight in Germany here and they just put up the new Larry game and Radiation City, whatever that is. Guess it's not getting a midnight release :( Gonna have to go to bed and then obsessively refresh the eShop at work all day.
not only that but Cadence is still listed as "Planned release date:" instead of "Playable from:" :tinfoil:

I need it nowwwww

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :dogcited:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've already died like 5 times loving up Nayru's Love

game is so gooooood

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

The two damage spear seems hilariously overpowered, I'm running around with 70-something diamonds and over 1000 rupees and nothing can touch me.
same, except three times as many diamonds and rupees

I died over and over until I could start a run with a spear, I've been using it since and nothing can touch me. I've explored most of the map now and done a couple of dungeons, game is loving awesome

American McGay posted:

Oh poo poo the windmill song is in this.
d'ya like jazz?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

Also no additional characters so far as I can tell, just Cadence/Link/Zelda.
not true :ssh:

I'm stuck right now. Killed the 4 bosses but can't progress further, I know I need some sort of Hibiscus Potion but I've explored the entire map and have no idea where to find it. Even the hint system isn't helping, since it's just pointing me to Link

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks, everyone

Reveilled posted:

Re: potion
it's under the big grave in the village

Re: characters, who? How? I guess I missed them.
there's at least one you can unlock by giving deku seeds to Tingle

another question: there are a couple of spots where the map tells me there's a hidden entrance and/or chest (death mountain) but there's no cracked wall or other obvious entrance. Any idea how to find them?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

Holy poo poo, and from mklachu no less.
holy poo poo I missed that

that's incredible :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just beat the final boss :toot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Oh god, what the hell do I do when a huge group of enemies surrounds me?

pretty sure the only answer is "don't get into that situation in the first place" :v:

e: the file select screen makes it look like there are 5 characters, has anyone found that many yet?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roluth posted:

I did the thing, and all I got was a stamina upgrade.

more

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine how you say half those items are pointless. the feather alone lets you take hilarious shortcuts

Not to mention how insanely overpowered it is once you get the down thrust, since you can jump on an enemy and then just jump from head to head completely invulnerable :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Same here, though I'm still going through my run. How do you make the jump actually jump in a useful way? Do you have to charge it or something?
well, if you've got the down thrust you can jump on top of an enemy and use it a springboard, you can skip a lot of stuff using that

unrelated: I saw some people saying that you need rumble for this game because of the Lost Woods - I played with rumble turned off and it just changes the Tingle Dowser to make sound instead. You do not need rumble :eng101: also I went through the place before getting the item anyway...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ok so I feel totally lost in this game. Once you pick your character, what the gently caress do I do? I just feel like I'm wandering aimlessly. I haven't found any dungeons yet. I know the maps are random, so you can't tell me exactly what to do, but which dungeon should I hit first? Where is it generally located, like what area.

I'll take any nudge in the right direction.
the map fills in as you explore it so as long as you're exploring around you won't really get "lost"

as for the dungeons, they're in the swamp, death mountain, the desert and near the castle

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

Permadeath mode seems to have a higher base level of difficulty than regular, or maybe it's the difference between story and single-character. The shops are twice as expensive and late-game palette swaps were spawning right from the start. Getting a palette-swapped Lynel in the first screen right of Link's house was a bit of an eye-opener.

I beat the regular game with four total deaths but I've died at least ten times without even finding a single weapon or completing a heart container. It's tough.
that explains it, I did feel like it was a lot harder

which is to say... I made it more than 2 screens only once in half a dozen attempts

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

I'm replaying Necrodancer now after buying it again on switch for $4 and man, there are some real bad soundtracks in there.
when you say 'bad' you mean that as in 'bad rear end' right

I'm attempting permadeath runs now and so far the furthest I've gotten is like... five screens. They ramp up the difficulty hard when you can meet enemies that pretty much one-shot you right out of the gate.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Necrodancer, I got it on sale for switch and should I go through that before getting Cadence, or are they different enough that I could go back and forth if I wanted to?
they're different games, and you don't just "go through" Necrodancer what with it being a roguelike and all :v:

both games are fantastic and you should play both imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zoig posted:

In fact, in terms of difficulty, if you wanted a curve cadance is way easier, even including permadeath because it has some really nasty characters you can play as, and its expected of you to try to beat the game playing a character that dies in one hit, can only use a dagger, and will instantly die if you miss a beat.
while Cadence is a lot easier, I do wish they would have spread the difficult out a bit more (and hopefully that's something that can happen in an update!)

right now the difficulty is extremely frontloaded, even more so in permadeath mode. At the start of the game you're struggling with little health and a bad weapon, but by the midgame when you've got a few extra hearts and a better weapon the difficulty all but disappears. In my first playthrough I ended with something like 5400 rupees and 250 diamonds :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

Well, that solved his problem. I'm still confused as gently caress as to where my two pieces of heart and Ice Rod are though. I'm gonna have to check every map panel for bombable caves and tingle secrets.

it'd probably take less fuckin time to replay the drat game with a different random seed.

hasn't been confirmed yet but it might be that some maps generate without 100% of the items and heart pieces, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yes yes you are. Maybe the broadsword and flail are easy to gently caress up and lunging with the rapier can land you in trouble.

But spear? Spear is life dude. It's dagger but you don't have to be next to a baddie. There's no accidents because it's just straight ahead. It's safe and wonderful and wins you the game.
Spear is just an organic way of letting people enable easy mode

I died over and over until I could start a run with the spear and then completed the entire game without dying