Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm most curious for how much it's gonna feel like a Nintendo game or not. From all the trailers it really just looks like a reskin of Crypt but Crypt is also pretty rough around the edges with how it handles menus and stuff. Hopefully Nintendo went all in with lending a hand and giving it that particular amount of polish. Also hoping for a ton of Zelda lore elements.

Regardless of how deep or different it actually is, the graphics are insanely gorgeous and the music will be incredibly hype. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No midnight release? 😒

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very much a first wold problem, but if they let you preorder a game then that game should unlock at midnight. Even better, just have the whole thing update at midnight. It seems weird that there's always so much ambiguity but then again I don't run an eShop so I'm not sure what kind of hazards that entails.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cadence isn't unlocked yet but the new Leisure Suit Larry game, which also releases today, is available.

Gj Nintendo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Flip the drat switch you bastards!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The music is insanely good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I figured out my first puzzle and collected a heart piece. This certainly is a Zelda game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm glad they put Crypt on sale ridiculously cheap a few days before this came out because I feel like you have to have some understanding of that game to fully appreciate just how great this is. Sure you can play it without ever playing Crypt, but seeing all the things they did with this is perfect for a fan of the first game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The way they're able to blend the Necrodancer stuff with the Zelda overworld stuff is really slick.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh poo poo the windmill song is in this.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's dailies and seeded runs. Nothing else at the moment from what I've seen.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah at first I thought it was useless because I couldn't use it to jump up areas where you'd usually use rock steps but it actually gives you a halfstep jump which means you can use it to jump on a step that you would otherwise end up pushing, so it helps with a couple puzzles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure if this was intentional or not but it sure felt like a callback.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ElatedDoubtfulSpiderMVGame

Started my first seeded run and stuff is way more different than I expected. I thought that the predetermined overworld tiles would be shuffled around but it looks like all the tiles themselves are randomized too. Seems like a ton of replay value if you're into that sort of thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think that might just be a part of how it's seeded. The main story mode is very specifically tuned for difficulty and item location, but if you in put a random seed it switches everything up. During my first seeded normal playthrough I was seeing enemies that I never even saw while playing the default story mode.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is it possible to lose your (non-glass) weapons? I ran into a bit of a bug maybe, it's possible to upgrade your weapon to a version that you already own, and then the weapon seemingly gets deleted but you end up with a number in the corner of the inventory screen. Is there any reason you'd ever need 4 titanium spears? Seems like a weird situation but then again I'm not super well versed on the game so maybe there's a reason for it.

I always just assumed that the non-glass versions of weapons were permanent in your inventory.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
After one kill you're at +1 damage so they're generally better than titanium in every way. Once you get to +2 it's also easier to keep your combo up since you're killing things so quickly.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I did the daily yesterday and immediately went to the area behind Link's house and ran into a black Lynel and 4 black tekites and died in about 5 seconds.

I don't usually play games with daily challenges but it seems weird to me that a successful daily run would take an hour or two if you're good. I would think that's a bit high for that sort of gameplay.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nope.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One thing I haven't really figured out yet about the generic story seed, in Gerudo Valley I noticed a gear on a map space outside of town and I could never figure out how to get it, and then I went into the Desert and the lady told me she needed gears to lower the bridge so I figured I had to figure out a way to get it. I wandered around for a while looking for whatever item it was I needed to be able to reach it and then after a while I gave up and then somehow I found 3 gears in the caves immediately surrounding the Gerudo Desert area. Is there another reason you need a gear? Why would more than 3 spawn if you only need 3?

Might just be a product of how the randomness works but I thought it was weird and it kind of distracted me because I assumed I needed to collect it before I could progress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's useless to talk about anything other than the default story mode because I'm pretty sure the randomness of seeded mode is so powerful it can move anything anywhere.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Imagine you're a knight in chess.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should be able to get it with just the hover boots.

Edit; or the feather if you use the other block.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Senerio posted:

Can you push the cracked block? If so push the cracked block one to the left and then using the top right block walk straight up.
You can't without a feather because that would be a 2 block step.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

Hmm I thought the feather only let you jump straight up
You can use it to get onto blocks that you would otherwise accidentally push. Or you can lure an enemy over and bounce off their head.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think the difficulty is based solely on the randomness of the seed. I'm not sure if it's possible to do a non-random single character mode or not but the story mode is pretty easy and anything other than that is a crapshoot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've gotten way too comfortable with the broadsword and cheesing enemies from around corners. You can basically take down an entire crypt spawn room without even letting anyone escape.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

What's the deal with the purple octodudes you can summon by using the monster buttons in the dungeons? Is this just meant to be a 'trap' to avoid or are they for something?
I never actually figured out what those buttons did. They didn't appear to be spawning anything but then again I wasn't looking too closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only real conflict I ran into was that iron knuckles were basically impossible to kill with the broadsword but I usually just used bombs rather than dealing with switching weapons.