Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Playing this through on permadeath after my first time through and yep, this is definitely how its supposed to be played. :unsmigghh:

I hope this does well for the indie studio behind this, I haven't seen much discussion about it at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

So I've finally hit the tipping point in permadeath where I just cruised through 3 dungeons without any sweat, after splatting a bunch of links in the first few screens beforehand. Here is my take on approaching it...

Your main goal at the start of a seed is to gather resources before you hit any dungeons. The checklist:
- Your warp lute. You can get one by running into Cadence in one of the dungeon areas. Lake hylia or lost woods is probably your best bet, maybe gerudo desert if its near where you start.
- A spear or broadsword (or flail?) to serve as your real weapon
- A fairy fountain where you can upgrade your weapon to titanium or obsidian, and the diamonds to do so
- A bottle, two if you can swing it
- A witch hut to buy potions
- Another full heart or two, if possible

Your main initial direction should be towards lake hylia. There you can get your lute, an item from king zora, a heart piece, a leech sword (depending on the zora item you get), and (with bombs) can probably take the daidra by the heart piece and grab his drop. The shikiah stone is right next to Cadence's cave too, which you can continuously raid for two hearts.

Gerudo desert is a good second destination, as you can get a lot of goodies / caves on the screens there. I haven't had much luck with lost woods early, since there isn't much there and the swamp can be really nasty early game.

Your warp lute is your life -- always keep it on a button (actually, you don't need to put it on a button -- you can pause and use the map to warp!) and feel free to use it to escape back and grab more hearts if a fight goes sour.

Stay away from elite monsters (Lynels, daidras, taluses, big stalfos, etc) if you can early game. A little bit later on when you land bombs you can start taking some of the easier non-palate swap ones, but you have to be really careful since you will die in 2 hits, if that. During this time take safe screens in order to grind up your diamonds.

Bombs are your most important resource early. With bombs you can take out elites, open up caves, and are a good oh poo poo button if you find yourself in a bad situation. Also talking about bad situations -- always feel free to GTFO if you think you are in trouble.

Also, it goes without saying to explore every cave that you can for drops, but feel free to bail and come back later if the fight looks nasty.

Once you have your kit ready you shouldn't have a hard time with the dungeons. From there just play it safe and try not to get swarmed or surrounded. Try to save your glass weapons for the boss.

And remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 17, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks for these tips. I know it's random, but are certain landmarks (Lake Hylia) always in the same general area?

From what I can tell Lake Hylia is always in the bottom middle of the map (left or right), gerudo desert is always in a corner (any corner), hyrule castle is somewhere in the center, and the lost woods are middle left / right. Death mountain, of course, is at the top.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 17, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

For the story run I think things are more hardcoded (flippers from zora, power bracelet from the gerudos, bottle in beach hut) to give a better progression flow. But I might be wrong...