Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cadence of Hyrule is the result of a rather unique situation where Nintendo allowed indie developer Brace Yourself Games to use one of their IPs to make a crossover game. It is a followup to 2015's Crypt of the Necrodancer, a game in which players explore procedurally generated dungeons in which all actions, including combat, take place along with the rhythm of the music. In Cadence of Hyrule, the character Cadence from CotN has found herself in the land we know and love from the Zelda games, and you can choose to play Link or Zelda and explore the land of Hyrule, traversing an overworld and diving dungeons all while following the beat of the music.

Since the game is not out until June 13th, not all details are known yet, so this OP will get touched up once the game releases and I have a better understanding of the systems and mechanics at play. Some interesting details known so far:

-The beat bar disappears when all enemies are defeated on an overworld screen, allowing free movement.
-The overworld is generated procedurally at the start of a run. Dungeon layouts are generated upon entrance, and seem to be rerolled upon re-entering.
-No permadeath, at least in the main story. If you die certain pieces of equipment lose durability/loss of diamonds, but you don't have to restart the entire run over.
-Seems minibosses (and potentially major bosses) will have targeting indicators for what squares they'll hit, at least with some attacks. That will definitely be good for accessibility for players who are still learning patterns.
-Contains at least 25 remixed tracks from the Zelda series.

Game is Switch exclusive and will release to the eShop for $25 in the US, cost may vary for other regions.
A Kotaku video of footage from the e3 floor concisely explains some noteworthy mechanical details

Keeping the OP simple for now but once the game is out and we know a lot more I'll improve it until it becomes a more robust information resource.

To add in the future:
-Differences between characters (some are known, but there might be more so I'm holding off on that for now)
-Beginner's tips

Any suggestions for OP/second post content welcome. This is a bit rough right now but this will be improved over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Reserved second post just in case.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I read an article with a dev interview, apparently they wanted to make a DLC to add Zelda characters and Nintendo came to them with the idea to just straight up have it be a Zelda game. I would love to know what kind of standards or rules they had to follow.

The game looks extremely polished from everything I'm seeing and the spritework is just gorgeous.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
One thing I want to know is if seeded runs will be possible because this is totally a game I would play competitively and that would do a lot for the viability of it. Still going to play the hell out of it either way but I hope that's a thing.

ItBreathes posted:

I know we'll never know, but I have to wonder what the revenue split is.

I would guess they at least got a sensible deal since the game is going for $25. There's definitely a meaningful connection between the price and the IP, but it actually came out cheaper than I anticipated.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Playable Cadence status: unsure. Seems like at least for a first playthrough the game wants you to stick to Zelda/Link from what I can tell, but I would be shocked if the game didn't have a free mode or an unlock to play as Cadence given that she's front and center in all the title images.

Here's hopin'.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
So that OP image, is that Vaati in the back there? Because if so conductor Vaati is a cool design and I love it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just to be clear Cadence is in the game and is a 3rd option to play as right? I really like the features that make it less of a rogue-like and give it a slightly more regular progression. I love Necrodancer but it can be real hard, and thus a bit discouraging. This should help with that greatly.

Also, it's what? 1 buck per song? Makes it a decent Bandcamp playlist ultimately. It's cool they took a page out of Smash's book and packaged a game with it.

Wanted to answer this question again because I noticed the JP eshop has different screenshots, one of which shows Cadence fighting in a dungeon with 11 hearts. Cadence is probably playable later in the game, as an unlock, or a different mode.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I wouldn't call it a reskin in any sense, it has larger sprites, the dance floor seems to follow the player, the game flow is overworld -> dungeons not just a wholly linear progression, it's been shown there will be puzzles and progression items, some of which I'd bet will have active use for traversal. Of course a Necrodancer followup is gonna have a lot in common mechanically with the original game but I wouldn't call Super Mario World a reskin of SMB 3.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

BattleMaster posted:

I don't care when it unlocks, it's just that they should tell us when it unlocks.

I agree with this, one thing I do like on ps4 when I've done a preload is it's very clear about the exact time the game will unlock.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Roluth posted:

Looks like the Treehouse (Nintendo E3 show thing) will be showing a bunch of indie stuff today. I would bet that the release is linked to when it is showed on that stream.

For some reason I thought the Treehouse didn't get a third day. Neat! I'll be tuning in if Cadence doesn't come out at noon (I'm in EDT).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Treehouse is steaming CoH while we all f5 the Check button, seems there's something called "fixed beat" mode to make it more accessible for players having trouble with the timing. Not sure what it does.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Nintendo unlock Cadence of Hyrule please

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm hearing that is just turns off the beats altogether. I will probably use it, shameful as it is

That's good that such a thing exists, CotN had the same feature with the Bard character so just letting that apply to any character is a nice approach.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
As someone who loves CotN and the Zelda series this really is the perfect blend of both.

With regards to replayability, before starting the game I looked in the custom run options and yes, you can type in a seed! Additionally there is an option to turn on permadeath, and there are daily challenge runs.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
For dealing with big groups of enemies there are lots of options and it really depends on your loadout. Being situationally aware is always important, for example you might be able to retreat into a tunnel and force them into a bottleneck, you could pop a freeze scroll, set a bomb and retreat to take out the ones nearest you, etc.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zoig posted:

Also daily runs, I guess, but I can't find the option.

On the "select mode" screen:

While highlighting the top option for the mode, press right twice or left once.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
With the randomization aspects it's a game that you're meant to run repeatedly and have fun experiencing differently and getting better at it. Some such as myself will easily put triple digit hours into this, others might play it once and feel that was enough. Regardless of playtime the game bleeds charm in terms of music, art style and good design.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I am apparently sitting on 20 deku nuts, I know I found a lot of mine in the north.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If you want this game to be a challenge, turn on permadeath and play as Yves.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Augus posted:

Whats different about Yves?

Seems to max out at 1 heart container, shoulder button ability is to hide in the ground, can't use most weapons (not sure if any?).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
:same:

It does count as a bomb blast so if you have that ring that protects you from explosions you're safe while using it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Messed around with single character permadeath mode last night and if anyone was worried this game wouldn't be hard that's definitely gonna do it, nothing like wandering a few screens away from the start and encountering a black lynel

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The answer to the question under the spoiler is yes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You can turn those off? Unless you mean the explanations of major items when collected which you can quickly mash through.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You don't get more than one heart as Yves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There's a 1.0.1 patch out for this now. Anyone have any ideas what that changed?