Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I got to octavo last night at the end of my first run and died for the first time since I got a proper weapon.

what on Earth are you supposed to do about the musical notes? They're color coded so I assume you're supposed to swap characters to get through each wave?

The part that confused me was definitely when it started mixing the waves together

This is extra frustrating in single-character runs because you can't switch, obviously.

The leaderboard says I was the 15th to finish single-character permadeath Link which I'm pretty proud of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Permadeath Zelda down as well. Leaderboards say 20th so maybe not many doing that yet?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

No Wave posted:

Permadeath seems kind of trivial if bottles are still in the game. I am not a good player and all 9 of my deaths occurred before finding one of the witches.

Just having bottles turned off in permadeath mode would make leaderboards etc much more interesting.

Either way, very fun and cool game, still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to replay it.

Mostly agreed, when you have 8+ hearts and one or more bottles with fairies + potions it becomes pretty easy. However, the leaderboard rankings are on time and step count, both of which are hard to get if you clear all of the map and get every item + piece of heart, so it can be challenging doing the bosses/dungeons without building up your hearts first.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

What's the maximum number of targets needed to clear the bow&arrow minigame? 20 got me the larger quiver.

I got 25 and got the big quiver so I bet that's it.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is there any advantage to playing as a character other than Zelda? She gets a shield that's omnidirectional and can reflect melee damage, with no apparent downsides.

Link's shield is way easier to use, in that you can hold it without an upgrade. Also as noted it costs way less.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Bogart posted:

Anything is better than standard dagger or short sword, with the possible exception of standard flail.

Flail is weird but still better than dagger... you can still do normal bump attacks with it.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

American McGay posted:

The only real conflict I ran into was that iron knuckles were basically impossible to kill with the broadsword but I usually just used bombs rather than dealing with switching weapons.

This is "late game"-ish, but don't forget that the Great Bow's piercing attack does in fact do piercing damage and is the super easy way of killing Iron Knuckles once you get it.

Edit: this applies to all shielded enemies. Shoot those sword and shield knights in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I'm pretty sure not every run contains 100% of items, but not 100% sure. They're definitely not in the same place between two runs though.