Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Let's see how much game show schedule filling we're getting this fall, Wednesday seeming to be competition night:

ABC
  • DWTS comes back to broadcast Here's a complete list of those horrid things.
  • Summer Scabbing Fun & Games comes back With Celebrity Jeopardy, Celebrity Wheel of Fortune, The Pyramid and Press Your Luck
  • almost forgot The Golden Bachelor :jerkoff:
  • I guess Shark Tank counts?
CBS
  • Survivor and Amzing Race are expanded to 90 minutes
  • TPIR in primetime some more
  • Loteria Loca is an Americanized version of the Loteria board game. It looks bright and wacky, I might give it a chance even though the Tiffany network slaughtered Lingo...
  • Raid the Cage comes stateside, getting more questions right buys your partner more time in the cage.
  • Buddy Games involves inspiration from Josh Duhamel recreating his youth every summer, and now he puts groups of friends through summer camp challenges.
Fox
  • Special Forces season 2, idk these names don't inspire confidence: Dez Bryant, Tyler Cameron, Savannah Chrisley, Blac Chyna, Brian Austin Green, Robert Horry, Erin Jackson, Bode Miller, Jack Osbourne, Tara Reid, Kelly Rizzo, Tom Sandoval, JoJo Siwa and Nick Viall
  • Name that Tune, they need to bring back that end of game prize wheel.
  • Snake Oil I'm curious about, considering how many lovely products exist out there.
  • Hell's Kitchen's 22nd season :ramsay: Masked Singer X and Lego Masters season 4
NBC
  • The Voice now has Reba in the Country seat
:effort: just like the AMPTP are putting in

E: Found the Name That Tune spinning wheel snype

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
cmonnnnnnn order a slew of game shows to tape in spring when i'm eligible again

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

E: Found the Name That Tune spinning wheel snype

I loved the old Name That Tune, but I bounced off of the new one super hard. Everything just felt amped up to an absurd degree.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

DaveWoo posted:

I loved the old Name That Tune, but I bounced off of the new one super hard. Everything just felt amped up to an absurd degree.

Same but with Press Your Luck, I loved the 80s version but making it a hour with half of it a tedious and unessential bonus out of the NBC playbook killed my interest.

Name That Tune seemed more interested in being flashy than good.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Island Nation posted:

Same but with Press Your Luck, I loved the 80s version but making it a hour with half of it a tedious and unessential bonus out of the NBC playbook killed my interest.

Name That Tune seemed more interested in being flashy than good.

I feel like I should hate that PYL bonus round, but something about the way their bank oscillates wildly between 6-digits and $0 lights up the game theory parts of my brain. I think the personalized prizes are a neat idea too.

Conversely, I hate that Name That Tune's point structure is so weighted toward the end that only the last question (or maybe 2) ever matters. I like Beat Shazam a lot more.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Although the personalized prizes have also been a little awkward when they're stealing the wheelchair accessible van away from the family.

The bonus round goes on way too long for me especially since it's basically guaranteed that they'll lose it all at least once so most of the early spins are just fluff.

I will say Name That Tune had kind of fun celebrity episodes, which is something, but yeah the point structure is terrible for getting invested.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

NBC
  • The Voice now has Reba in the Country seat

The upgrade from Blake “has been on this show too long and already sucked to begin with” Shelton to the second most beloved woman in country music is staggering, but it’s going to be an even deeper fall in the spring when she’s replaced by two of the most boring mainstream country assholes currently working now (Dan & Shay)

They make stale wedding music for the worst people in this country and I hate every second of it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Darren Criss is the best drat Name That Tune player I have ever seen in my life

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Hello Friends, just jumping in here with the boost on stuff.

Mondays have Loteria Loca and it's... okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJLwuA7OF8

I really like the set, the music and even the game Loteria but it's Very... Slow and the "I WAS BORN ON THE 8TH SO NUMBER EIGHT!" is just outdated.

But it's a bit fun as we wait for DEAL OR NO DEAL ISLAND with Deathstroke hosting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQKM30VlN0

Raid The Cage is very fun on Fridays, but the"cage" is very limited in prizes and the set is very dark and static. I wish it was more bright and colorful.

IT ALSO HAS YELLING AS ENERGY! EVERYBODY LOVES THAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=383QuUgvNv0

And then there is snake oil, featuring rejected shark tank products and a pretty clever art department, but nothing else going for it

And on my MUST WATCH LIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_CuLCvdJkY

Press Your Luck with Elizabeth Banks is back! Featuring more outrageous prizes and some more big bucks to give away.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Loteria Loca could be done in thirty minutes episodes, the variety stuff just doesn't land like it might on Univision.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Loteria Loca could be done in thirty minutes episodes, the variety stuff just doesn't land like it might on Univision.

i think i'd rather see it as a single player game, honestly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1716469570716717509?s=46

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Loteria Loca got cancelled early.

But hey, new stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAa9c7rjw8c

Rob Lowe has another game show on Fox coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zxH-f-W54

Deal or No Deal is coming back on itv. And uh, well, yeah.

And most importantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mYj1etf70

Brian Cox has work telling contestants to gently caress OFF in 007: Road to a Million

Where he plays a cross between an informant and bond villain as contestants do challenges to get a case to answer a trivia question.

I binged it all last night and fell in love with it. The first episode is very slow and the last episode is a let down but the cinematics, the questions and the bond references made me so happy

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

A 10 week show with a single winner that gets 250k?

Did Rob Lowe have to put up the prize money himself?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Loteria Loca got cancelled early.

But hey, new stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zxH-f-W54

Deal or No Deal is coming back on itv. And uh, well, yeah.

And most importantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mYj1etf70

Brian Cox has work telling contestants to gently caress OFF in 007: Road to a Million

Where he plays a cross between an informant and bond villain as contestants do challenges to get a case to answer a trivia question.

I binged it all last night and fell in love with it. The first episode is very slow and the last episode is a let down but the cinematics, the questions and the bond references made me so happy

What's the deal with We Are Family ? It's like the Disney people wanted to keep Anthony & Mama Anderson without the To Tell The Truth branding.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

esperantinc posted:

A 10 week show with a single winner that gets 250k?

Did Rob Lowe have to put up the prize money himself?

He probably had a kilo. of powder laying around that he sold at below street value to fund it. How else did he get his first game show at Fox?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I want to make a thread about squid games, but I don't think that many people are watching it. Even if it's just squid games.

Remember when Mr Beast did that a year ago? What if they actually had budget for a dorm, and instead of murder, it's ink squibs, and instead of murder at bedtime, it's "reality show twists"

... Did I mention Brian Cox is hosting a 007 game show? The succession guy? It's so weird seeing two titans of the Emmys in recent history get some game show variant.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, yay, I didn't see this thread. I've been too into old game shows via YouTube playlists. Scrabble's my current favorite, I get way into this loving game and how exasperated they get with the bizarre puzzles they come up with. A shame Chuck Woolery is a psycho chud.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsbamVB_CMljGkg7yyyqho0GqKWTxZqkN

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, yay, I didn't see this thread. I've been too into old game shows via YouTube playlists. Scrabble's my current favorite, I get way into this loving game and how exasperated they get with the bizarre puzzles they come up with. A shame Chuck Woolery is a psycho chud.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsbamVB_CMljGkg7yyyqho0GqKWTxZqkN

Agreed with Chuck being a psycho chud, because Scrabble was my favorite Chuck Woolery show (he's passive on Lingo, and can't really ad lib on Greed, and wheel of fortune is fun, but never got to do much)

The fact he can just have fun with contestants, the writers, and the audience, was probably the loosest game show around. It is the Late Night with David Letterman of Game Shows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Snake Oil is a dumb fun guessing game, I'll skip 5hrough episodes to see if I'm right. Kinda tedious to watch start to finish.

Press Your Luck feels too much like the ITYSL skit, I just bounce off of it when it doesn't end the skit.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Khanstant posted:

Snake Oil is a dumb fun guessing game, I'll skip 5hrough episodes to see if I'm right. Kinda tedious to watch start to finish.

Press Your Luck feels too much like the ITYSL skit, I just bounce off of it when it doesn't end the skit.

I basically only watch them using the spins at this point. Elizabeth Banks is certainly no Peter Tomarken. The whammy animations are still the best part.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, I tried it but bounced off. I don’t mind the host and I’ll always love the board and the lovely whammy animations but somehow the chase lights on stage being screens make the set look extremely cheap. Your prize budget is that high and you couldn’t shell out for a real lighting rig?

The fact he can just have fun with contestants, the writers, and the audience, was probably the loosest game show around. It is the Late Night with David Letterman of Game Shows.

Yeah, I really like the looser shows that give hosts more to do or more to riff on. Even just Chuck demanding to know who wrote this awful puzzle adds personality. I get how you can host Price is Right for 30 years and always have something new to do but there’s no way I could be the douche with a weird head asking if they’d like to spin or solve for 40 years straight.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 29, 2023

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You may enjoy Super Password. It's not as loose as what Scrabble sounds like. It's pretty casual and conversational. I always enjoy it when it's on.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, I love Password Plus and Super Password. Super is real loose and Bert gets lost constantly which is extremely funny though a little concerning given he died in ‘91 of brain cancer. I loved him on Tattletales needling celebs and being good friends with Allen meant he destroyed Password Plus like a Celebrity Jeopardy skit whenever he was on. He’s incredibly charming and funny.

I totally get what Allen (I think it was Allen Ludden, anyway?) meant by getting frustrated watching shows where people failed to answer insultingly easy trivia questions for prizes. I enjoy the puzzle games like Scrabble more than, for example, Sale of the Century. I don’t mind them in Press Your Luck since they’re for banking spins on the big board and Peter Tomarken gets snarky when someone gives an outlandish answer or everyone gets it wrong.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 29, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I haven't thought of Scrabble in forever, I loved that show.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

This week on squid games (without spoiling the outcomes)

Marbles to determine half the players eliminated

A pick your friend game, that's like kickball

A crane game to determine your place

The iconic glass bridge

A Russian Roulette game with dice

And a game of trust involving the gift box and school chairs.

And "the final three", fun.

The current highlight for me, besides the set dressing is the soundtrack, the "Pink Soldiers" remixed into this somber game show theme, is the winner.

The fact it's 456 players playing games and they missed the point of the TV series? Not so much

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

I haven't thought of Scrabble in forever, I loved that show.

It’s great! You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re reading this thread and haven’t seen it - it’s a really exciting game when they get good players on.

https://youtu.be/wecOIUqRLoE?si=dO_1ixYE6UvNaz7y

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Happy Game Show January, I unfortunately don't have videos, but here's all I could remember...

SYNDICATED:

Family Feud is still going on! Steve Harvey still surprised by people saying penis.

Jeopardy is still in it's neverending tournament. The UK version is also going on.

Wheel of Fortune is having a bunch of themed weeks. There is a UK Version that's on Saturdays, it's neat.

FOX DAYTIME has Pictionary, 25 Words or Less and Person Place or Thing. It's very GSN but not!

CBS

You're looking at The Price is Right, and it's Prime Time "Price is Right at Night" where Jackpot January just throws money at it.

Let's Make a Deal is still going on, the prize budget is lingering where we are back to the days of $700 or a bag that has a MacBook

Survivor is coming back soon. Raid the Cage finished season 1.

After Midnight is technically a game show, but we know it's a late night show more.

NBC

America's Got Talent Fantasy League than The Voice and sometime in the future, Deal or No Deal Island.

Hey, The Traitors is going on right now on Peacock (the UK Version with Claudia is also going right now but as they go 3 a week, they are near the end, while we are currently not even a quarter of the way through)

ABC

Unfortunately, the Summer Fun & Games aren't there, however Celebrity Jeopardy is near it's conclusion, as is Celebrity Wheel of Fortune when they feel like it.

Currently, Press Your Luck has new episodes for "Whamuary" and that's very fun. It's still a really happy game show with bizarre prizes that somehow, I really want!

FOX

Gordon Ramsay Gordon Ramsay Gordon Ramsay Farmer Wants a Wife Gordon Ramsay Gordon Ramsay

And The Floor with Rob Lowe from 911: Lone Star. It's based on an international format by John De Mol, so if it fails, IT'S NOT OUR FAULT IT'S A BIG HIT!

GSN

CURRENTLY, blank slate is new.... But they are still airing all their win $1,000 play for $10,000 single/double/bullshit catch up games.

Split Second, Switch, Master Minds, People Puzzler, America Says, Chain Reaction... Uhhhhh is Common Knowledge still on? Oh, and Hey Yahoo.

STREAMING FUN AND OTHER STUFF

Netflix is finishing up "The Trust: a Game of Greed" that's uhh, existent?

UK also has new episodes of Limitless Win and they won a big cash prize.

There is also a reboot of Gladiators. And check out that theme song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnZFVQWtO94

Also, a really good version of The Mole is going on right now. See a version that isn't watered down on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8xndvO7zSg

So yeah, press your luck, the traitors, limitless win and all these reboots hitting the same time.

Taskmaster is returning soon, I'm assuming?

And the dumb news!

Chuck E Cheese Game Show!

Let's see people play skeeball for one million dollars spider rings

Mr Beast Getting His Reality Series

And from what I've heard based on tweets and just scattered around - it's just squid games the challenge but 1,000+ people and $10,000,000.

The sad part is he has game show producers in his call sheet.

and another game show for CBS with Jaleel White!

quote:

The Flip Side will pit two teams of players against one another to “test them on how they think two different groups of people feel about the same issue. Teams choose from multiple choice answers, and whoever has the best intuition on human behavior will find themselves richer.”

So, yeah, it's another one of those Let's Ask America/Mind of a Man/Are You Normal type shows, but on CBS.

In some ways, yay lots of game shows, it's like the 80s again.

On the other hand, it's simply because it's cheap production and this industry is slowly melting down and losing to Dumb Challenge On The Internet.

Personally, I'm surprised they didn't reboot minute to win it or 1 vs 100 yet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Challenge hasn't been THE BEST this year but the never-won season has been fresh air at least with all the old names only being around for a single episode each. I kind of think they did this 3-4 years too late because they had people who were names that never won that you could build around in the past, and they would not have had to so desperately lean on the past people so much in the advertising with a few of them still around. But this season has established some new names which they really really needed.

I think winners-only would be a nice gimmick for season 40 but I don't actually think they've had enough different winners to carry a 15 episode season like they like to do these days.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Rick posted:

The Challenge hasn't been THE BEST this year but the never-won season has been fresh air at least with all the old names only being around for a single episode each. I kind of think they did this 3-4 years too late because they had people who were names that never won that you could build around in the past, and they would not have had to so desperately lean on the past people so much in the advertising with a few of them still around. But this season has established some new names which they really really needed.

I think winners-only would be a nice gimmick for season 40 but I don't actually think they've had enough different winners to carry a 15 episode season like they like to do these days.

Yeah, it’s a shame they didn’t do the Conquest format the whole time. I think the format really hamstrung the ability of the fans to really get invested in the new faces. It didn’t help that during Chaos most of the champs showed/were edited to show much more personality and charisma than the actual competitors this season.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
My sisters and I each won $800 on Chain Reaction last year. I wish I had noticed the thread or I would have given an air date! Maybe I can find a rerun sometime.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

My sisters and I each won $800 on Chain Reaction last year. I wish I had noticed the thread or I would have given an air date! Maybe I can find a rerun sometime.

Congrats to all of you! Hope Dylan Lane was really nice!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Congrats to all of you! Hope Dylan Lane was really nice!

He was! He did a really good job of making people relax in front of the cameras.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Bumping this to be the (somewhat) unofficial talk for DEAL OR NO DEAL ISLAND

The TL;DR version of the rules

It's a scavenger hunt for cases full of money, this is to be used for a deal or no deal game at the end of the episode.

Whoever brings the most money back (ie a case with the most money) is the "Power Player" and will be the one to decide who is up for elimination

The two lowest scoring case holders, will be up for elimination that week.

Before, During, and even after this challenge. The Banker will call in with offers to make twists to the game, because, of course you would.

Anyway the power player picks the person who must play deal or no deal of the two nominated players.

And they play deal or no deal, open cases, get offers, "deal or no deal?" And keep going.

Whatever money they make in this game will carry over to the final game, where the winner of the season could play for it.

But back to the game, it's all about the deal. Good Deal vs Bad Deal will determine the fate.

Good Deal (you sold your case, it had low value or went all the way and had the higher amount) - you're safe and the other person is eliminated.

Bad Deal (sold your case, it had a higher value, or the lower value case was revealed at the end) - you're eliminated from the game.

So, if your favorite part of Survivor was when they went to rocks, THIS IS THE SHOW FOR YOU.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Deal or No Deal Island part of the increasingly large pantheon of real shows that sound like 30 Rock jokes

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

DC Murderverse posted:

Deal or No Deal Island part of the increasingly large pantheon of real shows that sound like 30 Rock jokes

Homonym when?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

gently caress it. i'm all the way in on deal or no deal island

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Bumping this because DEAL OR NO DEAL ISLAND....

I wrote an article about it on my personal website - https://jordanhass.com/words/DealIsland

Additionally, my favorite UK game show, Bridge of Lies has Returned with Ross Kemp.

And Deal or No Deal has launched in Australia, and it's very silly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb6vxBk0zKc

And also, David Tennant will serve as Bandage Man aka "The Creator" on The Genius Game

And lastly,

Password is back.... With Shoot the Moon and Categories and more Standing Os.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnRsyNEx2I

Bird_App_Refugee
Nov 4, 2022

Formerly: Thunderfist and/or
Have it your Weigh
I’m trying to get on that moonshine making show on discovery. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

gently caress it, I love deal or no deal island. I knew watching The Floor would rot my brain but here we are

Bird_App_Refugee posted:

I’m trying to get on that moonshine making show on discovery. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Hell yes.