Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, they really did not need to pull Giuliani on their show to be shocking. There's got to be a bunch of different things they could pull that could be pleasant surprises. Looking at some of the international versions as examples:

-One-off guest masks. The French version of the show billed two international guests this series, and they got both Teri Hatcher and Seal (US Season 2's Leopard). It might be a bit expensive to make an extra costume. But imagine pulling a bigger star for a single night and really getting people talking.

-Pull celebs from other countries. The US has already pulled some British folks (Kelly Osbourne, Seal and Natasha Bedingfield), but there's got to be other countries you could go to. With COVID getting a little better, other versions have pulled people like Johnny Logan in Belgium, Paul Potts in Germany and even other Americans (Macy Gray, Neyo, Kelis) in the UK and Australia. Don't be afraid to import here and there!

-Lean into diversity with the celeb choices. We've already had a three person group (Hanson) in the US, so why not a four person group a la Italy? Or a wheelchair bound or blind contestant a la Germany (though would this be considered exploitative depending on how it is handled?). Or have one guy play in two separate costumes a la France? There might be some legal hurdles preventing some of these (there has been a relative of a panelist here and there on international versions), but surely Fox can pull something.

Just a few things that were kicking around for me. I do like the concept of the show, but some of the US choices have been baffling this season. I mean, we had a chud Twofer with Kirstie Alley going home this week.

(Are the Masked Singer posts annoying here? I don't think it deserves a separate thread given how dead they are in the past couple of iterations.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Netflix's Sing On! is a fun little skim-through-the-boring-parts binge. it's a competitive singstar/karaoke revolution type show with a small tactical voting element and host tituss burgess has fun with it

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

what the flying gently caress was that voice kermit had on holey moley? surely there's someone that can do kermit's voice better; poo poo, dub it if they weren't available the day of filming

also, they really need to fix the holes to function like actual golf holes; the pin caused 2 shots to bounce instead of potentially being a hole in one because they are so tight

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

what the flying gently caress was that voice kermit had on holey moley?

Looping this back around to Masked Singer chat, a few seasons ago there was a singer that sounded like they were trying to do a bad Kermit the Frog impression to mask their singing voice. It was Kermit the Frog. :smithfrog:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i watched the end of holey moley (to make sure i didn't miss the beginning of the chase)

that's a show, alright!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
As someone who likes Wipeout I really want to like Holey Moley but I just always bounce off of it hard. Just something about the challenges and energy of it doesn't click.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

As someone who likes mini golf, I really want to like Holey Moley.

The first season was the best because there was more emphasis on the mini golf element; since then, it's become wipeout with mini golf thrown in to break up the monotony. It's complete bullshit that getting through some of those obstacles is like a 1 in a million chance, if possible at all.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

EvilMoFo posted:

As someone who likes mini golf, I really want to like Holey Moley.

The first season was the best because there was more emphasis on the mini golf element; since then, it's become wipeout with mini golf thrown in to break up the monotony. It's complete bullshit that getting through some of those obstacles is like a 1 in a million chance, if possible at all.

That’s similar to why I stopped watching Wipeout originally. The first season of Wipeout was difficult, but fair. It was possible to have a clean run. Later on they added impossible obstacles or false choices and the show was a lot less interesting.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even with MXC/Takeshi's Castle, you saw a lot of people eat poo poo and hard, but that just made those with a clean run all the more impressive.

Hell, you could probably get better numbers by putting on Celebrity Dunking Booth.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Today was a great episode of Press Your Luck, and the debut of "Generation Gap"

There was also a trailer recently for PASSWORD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WyMjm7-5E8

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Today was a great episode of Press Your Luck, and the debut of "Generation Gap"

Cool, they dusted off some of Allen Ludden's glasses.

ABC has ads out for some weird Peyton Manning large Jenga game show, idk just doesn't seem to be a big push with Summer Fun and Games this year.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh hey i finally made another effortpost attempt on foreign game shows, this time we're in germany for a show called "dalli dalli"

"dalli dalli" has its origin in a slang term, a prompt to get the addressee to hurry tf up. here, it's said to the teams to start the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbEnlG_2RY

originally created and hosted by hans rosenthal from 1971 - 1986 on ZDF. there was a two-season, half-hour revival in 1995 with andreas tuerck, revived again by NDF in 2011 with kai pflaume, only for ARD to snag the show (and pflaume) for their network for two more years as "das war spitze!" (don't know if it was a trademark thing or if ARD was trying to distinguish the new episodes from the other network's production. ain't dug that deep on the subject because i'm already in up to my neck with the whole watch-game-shows-in-languages-you-don't-speak thing that i tend to do). most of what i've seen has been from the recent run, but aside from a couple of changes over the years (e.g. original had quiz rounds with members of the audience and musical guests but both were dropped for the recent run) the impression i get is it's been relatively the same game since 1971.

you're looking at celebrity teams alternating between quiz rounds and stunt rounds against the clock. the quiz material ranges from two-for-the-money type questions (they alternate giving answers for 15 seconds, with the judges adjusting the score afterwards for any repeats or unacceptable answers) to IDing objects from fragmented photographs. there's also the tonlieter, but instead of being a straight-up buzzer battle for the first to [X] points, the teams race up a musical scale. which is fine, because you really don't have to reinvent the wheel in order to show people a good time.

Some of the quiz rounds are played more for laughs. in the first episode, one person on a team was tasked with rattling off things they'd expect to find in heaven (one teammate: "my mother"), while the other rattles off things they'd expect to find in hell (the other teammate, immediately: "my mother-in law" --low-hanging fruit but they're working against a :30 clock here), another round is rapid-fire rhyme-n-reason (each player takes turns making up the other half of a poem on the spot from the first two lines given from the host).

the aktionspielen in the 2011 revival give me the impression of being decently staged (bordering on elaborate) but save for a couple of instances they're not really anything too different from the kind of stuff you'd see on beat the clock or even some of the simpler props on double dare (summers, not trebek). judges pull double duty here demonstrating the stunt as intended for the teams. even if you don't understand german, you can understand transferring teabags from one teammate to the other using only party noisemakers, or using your running momentum to keep a large sheet of paper flat on your chest until you can drop it into a box on the end of the stage, or using a holepunch to launch sugar cubes across an office setting to the other player to catch with coffee mugs. that said, i draw the line at working a bike pump disguised as a cartoon detonator until a stuffed animal pops out of a molehill for your teammate to catch in a net. seems like there coulda been a simpler way to launch the animals, folks, but credit where it's due: that poo poo looked genuinely fun as hell even if they couldn't get a quarter of them to work. stunts last for about a minute, teams switch roles at the halfway mark for stunts where everybody does something different.

so why do i think this show works? well, people liked the gong show because they knew somebody was gonna get gonged. people like family feud because sometimes somebody has a badly-timed brain fart and suggests "lawrence welk's balls" as a popular type of soup. sometimes the best moments on a game show aren't in the victories but in the realization of abjectly hilarious failure. it's a strangely-heartwarming combination of schadenfreude and fremdschamen that i think is why america's funniest home videos has outlasted one host and three careers: the poo poo isn't happening to you, but it very well could be, and may've already did but nobody had their phones out.

case in point would be the following stunt where the object is to bucket-brigade some water from point a to point b via the umbrellas glued to their helmets. it goes about as well as could be expected for the first team, considering the pronounced difference in height between the two players. but that's not what i wanted to show you. i want you to think of the first team's run as the shot to the other team's chaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGBwbC0Eg0

which is an excellent time to explain the show's biggest gimmick, as it usually comes up during physical games: the audience has buttons at their seats --if enough of them press their button during a team's turn, a siren goes off shortly after time's up, giving the team a bonus point and making the host do the show's other main catchphrase (the siren is the host's prompt to ask the audience something to the effect of "whadja think of that?" he then leaps into the air when audience shouts "SHARP!"/"NICE!" with a freeze frame of the host mid-jump --the impression i get from the half-understood google translation is that it was apparently something of a huge technical feat to get a freeze-frame shot live-to-tape like that back in 1971, and host/creator hans rosenthal wanted to use it. kai pflaume carried on the tradition in the new run and at times dude has a vertical i'd consider impressive. better than my fat rear end at any rate)

the final round, appropriately enough named 'the finale,' has one half of each team answering questions for as long as the other half of the team performs a certain task. tests of endurance, really. the premiere had the human timer dangling from a trapeze, their feet several inches off the floor. another episode had the human timer hold a medicine ball in their outstretched, gloved hand-- pins on the back of the glove were there to pop a huge water balloon if they let their arm dip low enough. spoiler on the first episode of in case you want that kinda thing, not like the episode is still online: the team that had been in the lead for the entire show choked hard on this round; specifically because the answering player didn't get a single question right for the entire time, causing the human timer to let go of the trapeze after about two minutes when he couldn't stop laughing at how badly things were going. they got the audience bonus.

final score is their points total multiplied by the number of correct answers given in the last round. points earned by both teams get translated to euros 1:1 for charity (both teams playing for the same one). winners are announced, everybody had a lotta fun, wave to camera, roll credits. this is johanne van olsen speaking for dalli dalli. stay tuned now for liebenslust coming up next over most of these deutsches rundfunksystem stations.

incidentally, the charity for the 2011 revival was for the hans rosenthal foundation, an initiative originally started by rosenthal back in the 70s but developed into a full-fledged charity after his death in 1987. wikipedia describes the foundation as dedicated to "looking after people in need through no fault of their own." he was a dude who sure could have used it growing up, losing both of his parents in the span of 4 years (dad to kidney failure, ma to colo-rectal cancer), coupled with that whole being jewish in 1930s germany thing. he and his younger brother gert were used as slave labor in the orphanage, before gert was ultimately deported to his death in the holocaust. hans managed to escape deportation and was hidden away in a garden shed by three women. after the war, he took an apprenticeship in radio where ended up producing quizzes before he more or less became the german bob barker. his 1980 autobiography, "two lives in germany," was translated to english by avery trufelman in 2013 (well, mostly. trufelman said he skipped a few of the later chapters as there was a lot of name-dropping and behind-the-scenes stuff). you can read it online with his notes. rosenthal's family has been pretty involved with the most-recent run, even having hans' son, gert, introduce the very first episode, and having (i think) his granddaughter as one of the judges when the show moved to ADF.

i've raved about this show before to televisedinsanity, and i kept meaning to talk about it here. a couple of days ago, i found a 50th anniversary special ZDF did (along with a christmas special they did just last year), and i figured it was a decent enough reminder that i need to post more in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4NmQGYe3mw

so that's dalli dalli. i like it. you might like it, too.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 9, 2022

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1546490468397195265

:toot:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
As if Canadians (and the subject of the most famous Chopped gif) know anything about game shows:
https://mobile.twitter.com/cbcradioq/status/1546885306619777025?cxt=HHwWgsC-lbP_0fcqAAAA

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

the final straw is SO boring

the bonus round is very fun but it's such a slog to get there

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
My problem with it was there wasn't really any variety in the towers. They were all pretty much the same design so it didn't seem like there was a lot of variety or strategy to it once you got past the novelty of the items. Stuff like adding in the time capsules and the risk/reward for the finale was good but it's about 20 minutes worth of game stretched out to an hour.

It also weirdly made me just miss Small Fortune.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Only one whammy the whole hour, I think she ||would have won the million if she didn't win every emotional prize and twenty different trips and decide to cash out||

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got to talking about the russian version of jeopardy yesterday, and mentioned my fondness for localizations that put their own flavor to a format and cited the japanese version of family feud ("quiz we asked 100 people") as one of those localizations. some productions treat a show's bible as sacred and immutable, if the original show used a country hoedown for the theme song then by fuckin god we're gonna put so much twang on it your sister'll get pregnant when you hear it. other producers look at a show's format and think "yeah, but we got plenty of our own goofy poo poo we can do instead"

in the case of "quiz we asked 100 people," part of the motivation being that this was one of those foreign versions that didn't get the blessing (and more importantly a signed licensing agreement) from old man goodson. the nature of intellectual property being the absolute hosed mess that it is, the genre has this kind of fuckery running the gamut over the years from mark goodson laughing about a japanese version of "i've got a secret" and their panel full of philosophers to talented individuals getting wholesale ripped off (e.g. edd kalehoff getting absolutely hosed over on royalties for writing the price is right theme), but mostly it comes down to the idea that you cannot protect the process of playing a game. you can trademark the term "daily double" and thirty seconds of think music but if another production makes a game show where contestants choose questions from a matrix arranged by subject and difficulty/value with value deducted for incorrect answers, there's not all that much you can do about it. empires have been built entirely on that kind of loophole. there have also been multiple lawsuits dismissed (goodson/toddman vs andrews, goodson vs barris, barris vs saban) where the judge cautioned both parties not to come back with "that trifling, ridiculous schoolyard bullshit," but that's an effortpost for another day.

now that we got that out of the way, lemme show you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Kr5Tt2Igw&t=845s

specifically from the round queued up in this episode (@14:05 if it doesn't work) and the one following, to my mind it's the only localization in the history of the concept of two families guessing answers to specially-commissioned opinion polls that invariably include the word 'penis' as an answer to ever require props for contestants. that's a weird as hell distinction to make, sure, but i feel like somebody gotta pay attention to that kind of poo poo. another difference is in the bonus round. for some reason that i'm still digging into (dr. anne cooper-chen's "games in the global village" spends a few pages talking about it but i haven't got that far into it yet. still discussing methodology when i did some reading on it last night), they went to a different endgame. played for a vacation. each member of the family plays one question and gives one answer. i think they're only counting top three answers? point is, the more points they earn, the better the vacation. optimal performance (120pts or more) wins a trip to hawaii. the ray combs-era bullseye round but at the end of the show.

and as an additional bit of interest for you sentai dorks, here's a celebrity episode where the cast of ultraman plays against the cast of kamen rider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJTzEIumbU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
That is some weird-rear end strap hanging, and nary a penis to be seen.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

That is some weird-rear end strap hanging, and nary a penis to be seen.

well, that was also me commenting on what family feud was when it first came to be (spinoff from match game) compared to what it is now (replacement for match game).

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, pretty sure downtown has a trademark on the word penis over there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really dig these in-depth posts

I wish I had something to add, but I've been burnt out on a lot of TV stuff lately.

apart from marathoning a bunch of richard osman's house of games a few months back (there is nothing more narcissistically fascinating than watching british people try and navigate the ocassional question about extremely american things, so the weekly maps round is often the best part), I've mostly just been watching how it's made while playing video games

oh, I forgot I took this screenshot watching house of games. here, we see four british celebrities attempting (failing) to locate the center in this lineup.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDS_RjbAMCk
Поле Чудес, 1990 ("pole chudes" or "field of dreams")

i forgot to mention that there has been a third option when you find out your game show is being made in another country, but it seems like merv griffin was the only one i can think of who actually took it: he found out that a handful of soviet tv types were putting their own version of wheel of fortune together and apparently he was stoked to hear of it-- the story i want to remember hearing is that he wanted to check it out in-person and offer any help he could. it's very likely that's not what happened; merv sold the interest in his production company to coca cola in 1986 (who were then-owners of columbia pictures, before they turned around and sold out to sony) but just for sake of storytelling and entertainment let's go with that. but anyway, that first clip is from the very first season and the very first host. the production has matured since then, and has become something of a variety show/tourism pitch for your own home town:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEC7x4oiIw

and while that's all well and good, merv's trip to russia is worth mentioning because it was while he was there that he learned of a show that he spent the rest of his life trying to import for american audiences: Что? Где? Когда? ("chto? gde? kogda?" or "what? where? when?" gonna call it ChGK from here on out).

it began like a lot of game shows do: back in the 1970s. vladimir voroshilov first worked in theatre and an actor and director, where he clashed with management to the point where he got fired for punching a hole in a set piece because he wanted a shaft of light to shine through for a scene. that incident got him transferred to working in television, a field that he (and many others apparently) thought of as a place for losers who couldn't hack it in stage or cinema. he still wanted to make something, and he did-- he created "auction," a quiz that asked questions about products manufactured in the USSR, on anything from clothes to canned squid, with some of the stuff being raffled off to viewers. it managed to last six episodes before he ended up getting banned from appearing on TV screens. were i in his shoes, i woulda asked around. and maybe he did. maybe he found out that he could still direct but his name just wouldn't be in the credits. he probably asked around some more and found that technically the director cutting in through the PA when he needed to during the broadcast does not count as actually appearing on screen. and i imagine that maybe he looked at the information he gathered along with the formal censure i am pretending he got in the mail and said "i can work with this."

the first few episodes were months and even years apart, and pretty different from one another-- very first episode involved two families competing against each other in a general knowledge quiz direct from their living rooms, with voroshilov asking questions as a disembodied voice. it wasn't until about 1978 when the show ultimately matured into the format it is today: a team of six guests answering lateral-thinking riddles sent in by viewers, chosen at random by a toy top in the center of the table. after the riddle is read, the team gets one minute to discuss and puzzle it out. getting it right gets a point for the team, get it wrong and the point goes to the viewers. first to 6 wins. the crowd that makes up the audience every episode is always full of current and former 'experts' of the game to lend moral support to the playing team, as well as giving the host a chance to recognize guests and have someone to talk to between rounds as the top settles on which question to point at.

there are a couple of extra gimmicks, usually varying the kind of puzzles played (a/v questions, "black box" questions where the riddle requires IDing the contents of a black box brought out to the table, "blitz" rounds where three short questions all have to be answered successfully to get the point, and "superblitz" rounds where it's one member of the team answering three questions) but also in how the teams can play them (if a team immediately knows the answer they can declare as such, with a right answer granting them a further one minute's discussion to use on a later round; there's also a special, optional solo round if a team is skunking the viewers 5-0. it hasn't happened all that often). in the soviet era, teams won books for scoring points, but i'm not entirely sure how they handle that these days apart from the MVP awards (crystal and diamond owls) they give at the end of a season. there were and still are cash awards, but they are only given out to viewers for stumping the team. a recent championship match i saw also involved a live text vote where the award was increased based on how well that question went over with the viewers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6C4Tp8LdX8

(and if you're looking to get people to tune in, a reason like seeing if they picked your question and if they got stumped by it has been one of the earliest examples of interactivity in a mass medium. "information please" used that set up for about a decade on american radio --they'd send you $5 and a carton of lucky strikes if they use your question, $25 and the world book encyclopedia if the panel got it wrong. they even filmed special "episodes" to use as short subjects for movie theatres. it also inspired "it pays to be ignorant," an equally long-running game created to needle the kind of airs put upon by fans of information please.)

by the time we got to this point the show was succesful enough that i'm almost sure voroshilov was allowed back on screens. but some traditions start out as routines due to circumstance, and why fix what ain't broke? voroshilov was content enough to be a disembodied voice except for rare occasions (e.g. when question #13 gets chosen in the pre-internet days) until his death in 2001. these days, its become something of a family business as his stepson, boris kryuk, is now the voice on the loudspeaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9d3o8OFY6k
(the most-recent episode i've found; final game of the 2022 summer season, an honor reserved for teams that do the best over the previous matches. in the opening chat with the team captain, boris noted that team sea wolf here has been the only team to beat the viewers this season.)

the biggest game show to ever blow up in the united states, truth or consequences, got a town in new mexico to change its name in order to get the producers to film there but these days people attempting to independently play the game around which that show revolved usually end up getting charged with criminal mischief¤. in terms of lasting cultural impact, that poo poo's nothing compared to ChGK, as people regularly meet up in clubs across the eastern-european and north-asian sub continents whose entire reason for existing is writing lateral thinking riddles and testing them out not just within the members of their own groups, but will also regularly throw down with other loving trivia gangs who brought their own stacks of riddles with them in a somewhat modified ChGK format in order to allow teams to directly compete with one other. even as someone who lived both during a time before the internet as well as continually curses the times after, i have never heard of a producer creating something that resonated so well with an audience, a format so loving elegant (in terms of both the simplicity of the game itself and the incredible breadth, depth, and variety of thinking the game requires not just in playing it, but in writing material for it) that it would inspire a documented subculture as big as the one surrounding ChGK within the russian sphere of influence. about the closest analogue i can think of would be the academic/quiz bowl circuit that developed from college bowl, but even that's still something of a limited, niche thing around these parts.

a light entertainment format managed to ascend into a rarified space that one would hold for chess or go or poker or indeed any other formally-organized sport type thing(?) that people get really serious about in a non-gambling context. it's no loving wonder merv fell in love with it; like a handful of manga artists, a charismatic businessman and former big band crooner who wrote his own music for his shows in order to get the extra paycheck out of the deal saw the phrase "officially-sanctioned nerd fights" and he saw a market. while he himself was not implicated in the quiz show scandals, he was an eyewitness to the spectacle that elevated seemingly everyday people to celebrated status and merv thought he could get a slice of that with an honest game.

so what happened? america, that's what happened. if countdown can't find a timeslot in the states because it's thought to be too brainy^ , no american television executive would look at a show like this without needing to have someone to explain it to the people who they normally have around to explain it to them ("crack?... oh, the new stuff"). its why the last show griffin could get on TV when he left this side of existence in 2007 was a mid-tier, crosswords-themed buzzer battler with a scoring system so convoluted that any dedicated mario party player would think it left too much to random chance. but they did have my buddy joe on as a contestant so i can't rag on merv too hard· for that.

but unlike an american version of countdown, we did eventually get an american version of ChGK in the fall of 2011, as "million dollar mind game" on ABC. slotted on a sunday afternoon burnoff against late-season, low-drama NFL games. which tells you everything you need to know about how much faith they had in the show. where the flagship show in russia had formal eveningwear and shot live in a fancy (albeit cramped) location, MDMG really tried to emulate that same look even if they couldn't come across with the same spirit. vernon kay was there because a tall dude in a white tux and a british accent is the perfect traffic cop for a scenario designed to evoke a high-stakes, high-tension gambling situation, and the whole secret agent/cold war allusions that is associated with that sort of climate is pushed out even further given the soundtrack full of mid-tempo, isolated bass guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJF-XEUXrLk
(i mean, it's not bad, but it's certainly not as good as it could have been)

in terms of the production existing in a vacuum, it was okay. content was challenging without being impenetrable, and there have been worse shows over the years offering a million-dollar payout and requiring far more ridiculous hoops to jump through. but this was an established format from another country, and the changes made to the game between the time merv was introduced to it and what hit the airwaves almost ensured it would get bogged down in its own hype. MDMG was born too early to benefit from the marketing budget of ABC's summer fun and games, born too late to steal thunder from who wants to be a millionaire, and born just in time to have all the consequence of an egg fart in a tornado. it's the nature of the business; a lot of goons in this forum can tell you all about good shows getting criminally short runs through no fault of their own, as those who remember pushing daisies and better off ted being on abc around this time can tell you.

if you're in the mood for just trying out some english-language riddles without all the pomp and circumstance that is required to draw out a potential million-dollar payout, the former questions editor for only connect (and ChGK enthusiast) david bodycombe made a couple of stacks for a few of his friends to try out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQrvBymXFg

that's what i've been digging into for the past few days.

^ (it didn't help that the american countdown pilot, filmed in 1990, was something of a hot, septic mess due to the producer's attempt to wedge it into the assumed stereotypical american game show template of its day: celeb/civilian teams, a cash bonus of $25k for finding a nine-letter word, rounds with wildcards that could be made into any letter, no loving numbers games, and a generic, unscramble 7 words in :45 bonus round for ten thousand dollars. i had never heard of the guber-peters entertainment company, but will certainly agree to the first half of the production company's name as being appropriate. what a buncha gubers).

¤ (some jurisdictions will upgrade the charges to something with mandatory minimums like conspiracy or accessory if they find out somebody made a podcast about it)

· (he did give ryan seacrest his first job on tv so there's plenty of poo poo stacked against him already)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That owl looks cool.

Is this where I post about the new USA Snake in the Grass show? It’s bad, definitely the worst of the revived “which person is sabotaging you?” reality genre, but I like this genre in general so I am watching it. They spent all their budget on printing parchment with bad clues on them.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Caught Password last night and in my opinion is a travesty of programming.

The game itself is normal but it seems NBC decided it needed to be wackier than a cartoon.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Island Nation posted:

Caught Password last night and in my opinion is a travesty of programming.

The game itself is normal but it seems NBC decided it needed to be wackier than a cartoon.

Fallon's terrible and I expected that, but oh my god there's just so much mugging for the camera and jumping and hugging. I guess that's one way to drag the game out.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Rick posted:

That owl looks cool.

Is this where I post about the new USA Snake in the Grass show? It’s bad, definitely the worst of the revived “which person is sabotaging you?” reality genre, but I like this genre in general so I am watching it. They spent all their budget on printing parchment with bad clues on them.

My wife and I are watching it and the only way I can get through it is by reminding myself that Dutch Mole comes back in January.

Fortunately, it looks like I get to break this news here.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/the-mole-netflix-reboot.html

Official release window for Netflix Mole is "fall".

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Is the new Password reboot better or worse than Million Dollar Password? Because that version was terrible.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fezz posted:

Is the new Password reboot better or worse than Million Dollar Password? Because that version was terrible.

I don't know about better due to not seeking MDP but unfortunately it seems to be popular

https://variety.com/2022/tv/ratings/jimmy-fallon-password-reboot-ratings-digital-viewing-1235344992/

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the people are so hungry for communication games they're having to scrape passwords off jimmy fallon's kitchen floor

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TomHourigan/status/1560911702996258822

long story short, the network announced it was moving the show from weekday afternoons to weekend afternoons. bertrand renard (one of the show's first superchamps, and the numbers game handler/solver on the show for 47 years) and arielle boulin-prat (lit teacher turned show's lexicographer for 36 years) both immediately quit the show in protest.

french media and french twitter are taking renard and boulin-prat's side in this.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

you can trademark the term "daily double" and thirty seconds of think music but if another production makes a game show where contestants choose questions from a matrix arranged by subject and difficulty/value with value deducted for incorrect answers, there's not all that much you can do about it.

Wasn't there a mid-90s show called Debt that got angry letter from Jeopardy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_(game_show)

Youtube link for timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfzDj8a1UM&t=296s

They changed that round for Season 2, so apparently it was a strong enough letter.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

lemme show you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Kr5Tt2Igw&t=845s

specifically from the round queued up in this episode (@14:05 if it doesn't work) and the one following, to my mind it's the only localization in the history of the concept of two families guessing answers to specially-commissioned opinion polls that invariably include the word 'penis' as an answer to ever require props for contestants. that's a weird as hell distinction to make, sure, but i feel like somebody gotta pay attention to that kind of poo poo. another difference is in the bonus round. for some reason that i'm still digging into (dr. anne cooper-chen's "games in the global village" spends a few pages talking about it but i haven't got that far into it yet. still discussing methodology when i did some reading on it last night), they went to a different endgame. played for a vacation. each member of the family plays one question and gives one answer. i think they're only counting top three answers? point is, the more points they earn, the better the vacation. optimal performance (120pts or more) wins a trip to hawaii. the ray combs-era bullseye round but at the end of the show.

The Japanese wikipedia page goes into a bit more detail.
Basically, they couldn't do the live answer displays that were done on Family Feud in kana, so they created their own endgame.

If the total score is 60 points, 1 person goes to Hawaii. 70 points, 2 people. 80 points for 3 people, 100 points for 4 people, and 120 points to have all five people go.
All of the answers count (you can quickly see them as they scroll by), but the top three are given on display to show the audience at home.

If the score passes the threshold, the icons light up, and the appropriate number of hats are given one.
Unfortunately, in the clip, the last guess was not enough to get to 120, so she was given a pennant to send off the others on their trip.

But that's neat, and thanks for sharing.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Wasn't there a mid-90s show called Debt that got angry letter from Jeopardy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_(game_show)

Youtube link for timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfzDj8a1UM&t=296s

They changed that round for Season 2, so apparently it was a strong enough letter.

i myself don't remember hearing about that one, not to say it didn't happen. it isn't unheard of for shows to change up between seasons, and maybe it was done on valleycrest's part -- the second season was moving from a cable channel to the syndicated market, so they might have changed up the delivery in order to give them that extra wiggle room. i'll drop a line to a couple of friends who might know a little more info or if they can get ahold of anybody connected to the show.

personally i don't think the courts at the time would have been convinced that a reasonable person would confuse debt for jeopardy. that's pretty much what chuck barris (newlywed game) alleged when he sued haim saban over "i'm telling" a few years prior (despite barris being on the receiving end of a lawsuit for a pilot called "bamboozled" that old man goodson thought was too much like to tell the truth):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQU9Egr6H8

ralph andrews [you don't say] had even shakier standing compared to other cases, as both were communication games (YDS dealt with conveying famous names by describing something that sounds like part of the name), both had two teams of two with celebrities, both had the host standing between the teams. andrews managed to avoid a lawsuit from goodson/todman partially through good will between the productions, as betty white was a frequent player on both shows, and the rest through compromise by moving tom kennedy off to the side of the dais. real nitpicky stuff but CEOs, amitrite?

most recent case as far as game shows are concerned was endemol getting sued by the tokyo broadcasting system over their claim that wipeout bore similarities to several of their shows, takeshi's castle included. that ended up getting settled out of court, with the terms made private:

quote:

Hollywood Reporter (2011): ABC, Endemol Settle ‘Wipeout’ Copyright Lawsuit With Japanese Broadcaster
In court papers, on the other hand, ABC and Endemol argued that Tokyo Broadcasting System “remarkably claims copyright protection in obstacles and obstacle concepts ubiquitous in the public domain, such as ‘rope swings,’ ‘mechanical bulls’ and ‘pole vaults.'” The network pointed out TV’s long history of obstacle-course competitions, taking the position that Wipeout does not employ any unique (and thus copyrightable) expression.

Many in Hollywood legal circles had hoped that the case would go to trial, eventually providing some legal precedent for how much reality shows can copy one another without running afoul of copyright law. Now that question remains relatively unanswered.

outside of game shows, there's the fact that the people who made words with friends didn't get sued by hasbro over its similarities to scrabble because the board layout, tile design, scoring, etc were completely different. ended up being moot as hasbro bought WwF outright so threading that needle could be lucrative given the right circumstances, he says leo blumishly.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 20, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh snap, debt did get sued-- word from wink martindale himself:

quote:

Unfortunately after a successful first season in syndication, Disney (owner of DEBT) was sued by Merv Griffin's company claiming a part of DEBT was too much like JEOPARDY.

Disney lost the suit and the necessary changes to DEBT made the show far less compelling as the original. Thus the show didn't survive after season two. That said, it was big with the millennials.

i'm trying to find the actual case-- searching google for "columbia-tristar vs valleycrest" hasn't given me much. also, debt's first season in syndication was in a couple of test markets.

edit: sony vs disney hasn't been much better. king world vs buena vista as well.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 20, 2022

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fezz posted:

I've seen about as much of both versions (10 minutes), and nothing will be as poo poo as Million Dollar Password.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

god, I hope the new Mole on Netflix is actually good. every new instalment’s been worse and worse than the perfect first season, culminating in the miserable 2008 version where every task was a physical challenge and the Mole sabotaged the group by being a fat guy

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ain't forgot about debt, still digging around for info, but i did want to mention a few things:

first off, i crossposted this from couch chat, but it bears repeating because there has been an excellent project that has been brewing for the past ten months, and the first percolations have bubbled up, italicized parentheticals are mine:

quote:

Launching today on the Strong Museum website, this is a project that we started on 10 months ago and plan to continue for the indefinite future. Quite simply, these are long-form interviews with legendary figures from the world of game shows, done in conjunction with the Television Academy. There are more to come. Some interviews are as short as 90 minutes, some go as long as four hours. It’s a chance to hear about the history of game shows from all angles. Bob Boden (recently of funny you should ask but he also helped put together the game shows for discovery kids back when it was "the hub") and Howard Blumenthal (where in the world is carmen sandiego, remote control, and double dare [summers, not trebek]) conduct the interviews, with me behind the scenes as a producer/researcher. Our first ten interviews:

Michael Brockman (head of daytime programming for all three major networks in the 1970s and 1980s)
Dana Calderwood (director for many of the Nickelodeon games)
Bob Eubanks (host)
Mike Gargiulo (director)
Ron Greenberg (producer)
Edd Kalehoff (composer)
Terry McDonnell (question writer and producer whose career spans the CBS “Joker’s Wild” through GSN’s “Master Minds”)
Bill Monk (CBS Electronics boss, designed the electronic components for most of the major game shows of the past 45 years)
Robert Sherman (producer for Goodson-Todman)
Pamela Usdan (production staff for “What’s My Line?,” later became Goodson-Todman’s liaison for international productions of company properties)

Please give all of these a look. ALL of them; if anything, I would encourage you to start with the names that you don’t recognize. All of them have incredible stories to tell, almost none ever shared publicly, and it’s a chance to see and think about game shows in a way that you might not have before.

https://www.museumofplay.org/collections/national-archives-of-game-show-history/

the strong museum has been planning a permanent exhibit for game shows, and this is a part of those plans.

secondly, some of y'all might be in the test markets where fox is trying out a new game to launch into syndication. person, place, or thing is 20 questions with buzzers mixed in. melissa peterman (the singing bee) is hosting it, jamie anderson is announcing it. i believe the entire, 20-episode run has been uploaded to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcOiJajS0k

the format itself is half-baked, the scoring is all over the place, and the bonus round is kinda chintzy compared to other, non-GSN originals but i'm really not giving a gently caress about any of that because peterman and anderson add a organic, playful spirit to the proceedings i've not seen since play the percentages (and that show was by all accounts a disaster-- they had to completely restructure the game because the centerpiece/bonus round prop nearly tore the entire stage apart. i really should do an effortpost on that one someday just because everybody on that show from geoff edwards to dan enright were way past giving a poo poo and it was wonderful to behold).

thirdly, i'd like to introduce y'all to moneybags, a british game show that started its second series this week. 100 moneybags ranging in value from who cares to a hundred grand get correct answers slapped onto them, and it's up to the people playing for the entire week to spot them and pull them off the conveyor belt when they see them. prelims involve two people getting picked to get as much money as they can pull, with the most cash earned after five correct answers have been pulled gets to move on to the three-player final. there are extra modifiers at play for both right and wrong answers, and while the payouts are random it's still a game that requires knowledge and reasoning. craig charles is the host --i think he did an excellent job as play-by-play announcer for the UK's repackaging of takeshi's castle episodes, and i think he does a fine job here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaLq6EPWchE

and there we are, bob.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 25, 2022

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Those look like solid interviews, definately want to hear what Bill Monk has to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenji Jenkins posted:

The Japanese wikipedia page goes into a bit more detail.
Basically, they couldn't do the live answer displays that were done on Family Feud in kana, so they created their own endgame.

If the total score is 60 points, 1 person goes to Hawaii. 70 points, 2 people. 80 points for 3 people, 100 points for 4 people, and 120 points to have all five people go.
All of the answers count (you can quickly see them as they scroll by), but the top three are given on display to show the audience at home.

If the score passes the threshold, the icons light up, and the appropriate number of hats are given one.
Unfortunately, in the clip, the last guess was not enough to get to 120, so she was given a pennant to send off the others on their trip.

But that's neat, and thanks for sharing.

i wanted to double-back to this reply and thank you for this-- i'm not as good at parsing the google translate results for JPN>ENG as i am at other languages, and really don't like to go off half-cocked more than i do already with my posts here.