Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

you can trademark the term "daily double" and thirty seconds of think music but if another production makes a game show where contestants choose questions from a matrix arranged by subject and difficulty/value with value deducted for incorrect answers, there's not all that much you can do about it.

Wasn't there a mid-90s show called Debt that got angry letter from Jeopardy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_(game_show)

Youtube link for timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfzDj8a1UM&t=296s

They changed that round for Season 2, so apparently it was a strong enough letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

lemme show you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Kr5Tt2Igw&t=845s

specifically from the round queued up in this episode (@14:05 if it doesn't work) and the one following, to my mind it's the only localization in the history of the concept of two families guessing answers to specially-commissioned opinion polls that invariably include the word 'penis' as an answer to ever require props for contestants. that's a weird as hell distinction to make, sure, but i feel like somebody gotta pay attention to that kind of poo poo. another difference is in the bonus round. for some reason that i'm still digging into (dr. anne cooper-chen's "games in the global village" spends a few pages talking about it but i haven't got that far into it yet. still discussing methodology when i did some reading on it last night), they went to a different endgame. played for a vacation. each member of the family plays one question and gives one answer. i think they're only counting top three answers? point is, the more points they earn, the better the vacation. optimal performance (120pts or more) wins a trip to hawaii. the ray combs-era bullseye round but at the end of the show.

The Japanese wikipedia page goes into a bit more detail.
Basically, they couldn't do the live answer displays that were done on Family Feud in kana, so they created their own endgame.

If the total score is 60 points, 1 person goes to Hawaii. 70 points, 2 people. 80 points for 3 people, 100 points for 4 people, and 120 points to have all five people go.
All of the answers count (you can quickly see them as they scroll by), but the top three are given on display to show the audience at home.

If the score passes the threshold, the icons light up, and the appropriate number of hats are given one.
Unfortunately, in the clip, the last guess was not enough to get to 120, so she was given a pennant to send off the others on their trip.

But that's neat, and thanks for sharing.