Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've been catching up on some of the new Press Your Luck and while some of it is seriously impressive (in the "I am shocked they put this much cash into the set design" sense), there's a few things it does that absolutely annoy the piss out of me. Like has been said earlier in the thread, yeah, the main game is nearly entirely untouched, which is good, it still plays well.

The flow of the main game is a little stilted, though, presumably because they have to pad out a full 30 minutes of tape with a game meant to be run in 22, which leads to the players being asked if they want to pass after every spin, and they think about it for a couple seconds and then they drop a full sentence containing the name of the show, even in situations where they only reasonable move is to spin again - compare to the original where the board ops will start the board moving even before Tomarken finishes asking the player, and players will just point at the board and say "go" or "keep going."

The animated gifs of lights on the video walls instead of actual lights or just straight LEDs look so chintzy, the bonus game is interminable (and really, there's no way in gently caress you're making it to round six, which is the only place where (I presume) the cash amounts let you get anywhere near 500k) and the now-obligatory emotional content (this one contestant I'm watching just actually said "family is important to me", which like, okay, and?) drives me up the wall.

It could be so much worse, though, so I appreciate them not totally breaking one of my favorite games of my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

The UK Game Show List is Now Out - can you guess the best game shows on the list?

I hadn't heard most of these, but with the collapse of the two legitimate websites (and partial reanimation of one) I tend to watch this stuff on, it's not entirely surprising. I honestly want to dig into some of these, even the failures sound interesting.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doggles posted:

Why would you spend 5 minutes on the backstory of every contestant along with footage of them getting the call to be a contestant, only for them to be immediately eliminated in their first round lasting less than a minute?!

Because it's basically the same format concept as the olympics - people don't actually care about the GAME they care about the HUMAN ELEMENT

(which is horseshit considering how much complaining I hear about NBC's olympics coverage, but apparently middle america just eats that poo poo up)

I think the wall or whatever that game was did similar poo poo, and I think the way was pointed out by the us deal or no deal, which I remember a number of times breaking off from the game to be like HERE'S THE FAMILY AND THEIR DREAMS

it's reality show nonsense and I want none of it. fuckin' run the numbers, play your poo poo and win big or go home

the money maze is good poo poo, though. I love the useless cruft of having them pass questions back and forth by flipping the lever to pick one or the other

also, from someone born in that part of new jersey, I never think of flemington being where furs come from, that's where my father went to go get drunk and watch the dirt track auto racing

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I watched an episode of the card sharks revival and hate basically everything about it. It's glacially paced---the same basic problem as the new press your luck where they have to make every moment suspenseful and ask the player's input about every single move instead of just letting them actually ride the wave of a good card and yell HIGHER LOWER HIGHER FREEZE as they flip the cards as soon as they get their hands on them. the shift from excitement as the driving emotion to suspense (starting with millionaire, if memory serves) is probably the shittiest design decision the entire industry made

and I have no idea who the host is but I want to drag him offstage by his tie

I don't remember if he was wearing a tie

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

So who else has been watching a shitload of Price is Right?
I probably should, but I'm an old who wants to watch old episodes. It'd be nice to see some old stuff in better-than-early-00s-.rm-file quality, which is what everything online appears to be.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that makes sense, but I'm really more confused by the episodes that I do find all being at such lovely bitrates. sure, I get a youtube upload being from somebody's old tape, but you'd think they'd have better-resolution captures of said old tapes, idk.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doggles posted:

There is absolutely zero sob story bullshit in it.

You have my attention.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Watched the first episode of Epic Gameshow with slight trepidation, but that's because I was getting Alan Carr (who I had no particular opinion on, but after this am not super-enthused about him as a game show host) confused with Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge alter ego. Coogan, I absolutely cannot stand in any format.

It's Play Your Cards Right/Card Sharks with a few tweaks and an odd final-four format (two regular games to determine which two teams (celebrity couples) play a weird semifinal where both teams have to hi-lo the same row of cards, then an expanded money cards final round), and I just found it fairly tedious. Not terrible, just somewhat dull. The set was overlarge, with Carr having to, especially in the very last round where he dealt and switched and revealed the cards himself, truck quite a ways up and down the stairs of the money cards "pyramid" setpiece every time the players wanted to switch.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

american jingoism

i.e.

racism

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

and in the "NOT REALLY VERIFIED, BUT MIGHT BE TRUE"
- They are bringing "The Cube" to the U.S.

This was being discussed way back when the cube was not just an active concern, but actually hot in the UK, like 2010. They did a pilot with Neil Patrick Harris that went nowhere.

However, I'm just finding out now that ITV (as of just last month) is looking to relaunch the game in the UK, so who knows.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

they'll probably get through three questions between commercial breaks, they'll be sub-high-school difficulty, and it's going to bounce back and forth between heartwarming stories of kids in college and slow, boring as gently caress "suspenseful" moments. who has ever looked at manning and seen a sharp-talking eloquent presenter?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comedic timing and a several-times-concussed person trying to read questions about roman philosophers are not the same thing

or maybe they are, but my point is that I can't see him heading a quiz show, much less one that's supposed to put actual academics on the buzzer

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

On the downside to the Barker channel, I've only watched a handful of episodes (no more than five) and I've already seen one repeat between Wednesday and Friday nights.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I haven't watched the US chase yet, but, yeah, the UK original has a lot of the same framing patter, but it's also run through at top speed by the host. US game show hosting these days seems to be very much about talking to make a half-hour game run for an hour and also to try and increase the tension, even when games don't need to be tense at all, they need to be loose and moving quick

the---I was going to say four, but I forgot there's five now---five original chasers are all up there to be gently caress-you scary (well, maybe not paul sinha, but that's probably because I've heard his comedy shows) and also smarter than you, I don''t quite see how genial chasers make any sense

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hit up wikipedia to look at the chase's entry to see where I'd missed a chaser and I was reminded that it was one of three games that was run to replace golden balls

I wish I had a copy of a golden balls episode in hd, because the last time I went looking for an episode of it everything on youtube was a blurry mess. (update - it still is, and the majority of the uploads of it are phone-pointed-at-tv recordings)

If you're looking at it in HD, the set is one of the most fantastically gaudy sets ever created, and everything being metallic and reflective makes it a thing that you absolutely need to see at least once.

in blurry smear-o-vision, it's garbage.

similarly, one of the other replacement shows of those three was divided, which is probably the epitome of a game designed to make people miserable (including monopoly.) It's a pot-builder where you have to massively unequally divide the cash at the end between the three players, and all three players must agree. cash drains out of the pot while you argue. nobody gets out happy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

speaking of buzzr, they just started showing million dollar password, and it's one of the most uninteresting shows I've seen in a dog's age

it's not even really password, it's pyramid with who wants to be a millionaire on the back half

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the important thing about both of those is that they're pushing them to an hour and if you look at the descriptions, they're adding some wacky goddamn stuff to the format

so it's probably going to be like the new press your luck: a pretty good revival of the basic game but with the back half being boring bullshit

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the thing that bugs me about this lost media video guy is that in like half these instances so far, he's said something exists and then not shown or played any of it. he's not against talking over a still image, why not play a couple seconds of these audio recordings that some other guy on youtube apparently found? why not play a few seconds of a Jackpot game from one of the later runs, which I imagine look about the same? additionally, why not explain to the audience some of the differences to these shows, like the difference between a network and a syndicated run of a show

like, yeah, I get that this is a long goddamn video already, but if I wanted the first three sentences of a wikipedia article read to me in a breathless monotone, I'd go to wikipedia and turn on text-to-speech at top speed

e: "a man named wink martindale"

what the christ

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i love that the only comment on the article is someone marked anonymous saying, simply,

"What?"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"this video is private"

come on, sea bass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really dig these in-depth posts

I wish I had something to add, but I've been burnt out on a lot of TV stuff lately.

apart from marathoning a bunch of richard osman's house of games a few months back (there is nothing more narcissistically fascinating than watching british people try and navigate the ocassional question about extremely american things, so the weekly maps round is often the best part), I've mostly just been watching how it's made while playing video games

oh, I forgot I took this screenshot watching house of games. here, we see four british celebrities attempting (failing) to locate the center in this lineup.