Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think The Hustler moves just a little too slow for me, but I'm liking it. Although that might just be liking Craig Ferguson too. There's an interesting mix of strategy to it and it's fun to see someone trying to adapt a social game to TV. About the only thing I wish it had a little more of was time to run down the Hustlers' strategy with a flashback. The game feels like it ends a little quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Bummer about The Hustler, I thought it was a done deal since they were even casting Hustlers for it. Shame.

Rat in the Kitchen is kind of a spiritual successor at least. I'm enjoying it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
As someone who likes Wipeout I really want to like Holey Moley but I just always bounce off of it hard. Just something about the challenges and energy of it doesn't click.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
My problem with it was there wasn't really any variety in the towers. They were all pretty much the same design so it didn't seem like there was a lot of variety or strategy to it once you got past the novelty of the items. Stuff like adding in the time capsules and the risk/reward for the finale was good but it's about 20 minutes worth of game stretched out to an hour.

It also weirdly made me just miss Small Fortune.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Island Nation posted:

Caught Password last night and in my opinion is a travesty of programming.

The game itself is normal but it seems NBC decided it needed to be wackier than a cartoon.

Fallon's terrible and I expected that, but oh my god there's just so much mugging for the camera and jumping and hugging. I guess that's one way to drag the game out.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Somehow, The Wall returned. I want to say they're burning off episodes of a prior production run, but who knows how NBC is going to stretch their non-scripted slate. I also learned American Ninja Warrior Seasons 15 and 16 are being shot back to back, which probably keeps an hour of NBC's schedule shored up for the season.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out if The Wall was actually new or if these were from the run that (I think) they did for Peacock. Not actually watching it, so didn't check much beyond that. Amazing to gently caress up the concept of Giant Plinko with trivia by drawing it out worse than Deal or No Deal. Just terrible to watch. Also one of my least favorite prize bits where they put up giant numbers as possible but anyone with basic observation skills understands that it's just going to seesaw all game along with acting like there's anything other than luck dictating the drops.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I loving hate The Wall because that end bit is the most cruel poo poo in the world and they drag it out for forever. Having one of the two competitors basically flipping a coin as to whether or not they get a buttload of money or zero money and then making the other person give a big dramatic speech right in their face is just unbearable

Also gently caress Chris Hardwick

Also, I know that it's cliche to hate on game shows being formulaic, but despite insisting on making it a crazy drawn out speech it was always the same format. They make it sound like they picked X, but really they picked Y. Every time, without variance, I'm pretty sure. Just a weird, garbage show.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

NBC put Hot Wheels: Ultimate Challenge on right after the US Open ended. Dumb and bad.

Wonder if that means that they're burning it off. I thought it sucked pretty bad. Which is a shame because you could probably make the concept work. Just bring back Monster Garage I guess. It'd be more fun than just making a big, non-working car out of foam and body kits for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Although the personalized prizes have also been a little awkward when they're stealing the wheelchair accessible van away from the family.

The bonus round goes on way too long for me especially since it's basically guaranteed that they'll lose it all at least once so most of the early spins are just fluff.

I will say Name That Tune had kind of fun celebrity episodes, which is something, but yeah the point structure is terrible for getting invested.