Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Masked Singer s7 started taping out with a bang:

Rudy Giuliani gets eliminated first, Ken Jeong and Robin Thicke walk off set: https://deadline.com/2022/02/rudy-giuliani-the-masked-singer-contestant-judge-ken-jeong-robin-thicke-walk-off-in-protest-1234925291/

Welp, guess I'll skip the S7 thread then, or at least use it to talk other interesting versions of the show. At least there are other international versions, though I thought the Italian version casting Alessandra Mussolini as a contestant was the nadir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

It's probably Masked Singer showing Giuliani

Not tonight apparently, it was Joe Buck getting unmasked.

I'm sure we will know when that happens.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Masked Singer: Gee. I wonder who this could be...

They even had a Four Seasons clue that seals it up.

This is exactly why I didn't make a thread for the show this season. Might be time for them to cool it and make this a less frequent thing.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, they really did not need to pull Giuliani on their show to be shocking. There's got to be a bunch of different things they could pull that could be pleasant surprises. Looking at some of the international versions as examples:

-One-off guest masks. The French version of the show billed two international guests this series, and they got both Teri Hatcher and Seal (US Season 2's Leopard). It might be a bit expensive to make an extra costume. But imagine pulling a bigger star for a single night and really getting people talking.

-Pull celebs from other countries. The US has already pulled some British folks (Kelly Osbourne, Seal and Natasha Bedingfield), but there's got to be other countries you could go to. With COVID getting a little better, other versions have pulled people like Johnny Logan in Belgium, Paul Potts in Germany and even other Americans (Macy Gray, Neyo, Kelis) in the UK and Australia. Don't be afraid to import here and there!

-Lean into diversity with the celeb choices. We've already had a three person group (Hanson) in the US, so why not a four person group a la Italy? Or a wheelchair bound or blind contestant a la Germany (though would this be considered exploitative depending on how it is handled?). Or have one guy play in two separate costumes a la France? There might be some legal hurdles preventing some of these (there has been a relative of a panelist here and there on international versions), but surely Fox can pull something.

Just a few things that were kicking around for me. I do like the concept of the show, but some of the US choices have been baffling this season. I mean, we had a chud Twofer with Kirstie Alley going home this week.

(Are the Masked Singer posts annoying here? I don't think it deserves a separate thread given how dead they are in the past couple of iterations.)