Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

hexwren posted:

the shift from excitement as the driving emotion to suspense (starting with millionaire, if memory serves) is probably the shittiest design decision the entire industry made

Completely agree. Millionaire was a decent game, but I now hate it for what it’s done to basically every primetime gameshow since. It’s also exacerbated by the human interest bullshit brought in from reality and Deal or No Deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

EvilMoFo posted:

As someone who likes mini golf, I really want to like Holey Moley.

The first season was the best because there was more emphasis on the mini golf element; since then, it's become wipeout with mini golf thrown in to break up the monotony. It's complete bullshit that getting through some of those obstacles is like a 1 in a million chance, if possible at all.

That’s similar to why I stopped watching Wipeout originally. The first season of Wipeout was difficult, but fair. It was possible to have a clean run. Later on they added impossible obstacles or false choices and the show was a lot less interesting.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

Because, OF COURSE HE IS.
However, I don't see Seacrest taking the mantle for 40+ years or even 10.

The guy has a short attention span in any venture.

?

He’s still hosting American Idol, still doing Rockin New Years Eve, just left Live with Kelly after 6 years. He always has a lot of projects, but he doesn’t necessarily constantly drop the ones he has for new ones.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Rick posted:

The Challenge hasn't been THE BEST this year but the never-won season has been fresh air at least with all the old names only being around for a single episode each. I kind of think they did this 3-4 years too late because they had people who were names that never won that you could build around in the past, and they would not have had to so desperately lean on the past people so much in the advertising with a few of them still around. But this season has established some new names which they really really needed.

I think winners-only would be a nice gimmick for season 40 but I don't actually think they've had enough different winners to carry a 15 episode season like they like to do these days.

Yeah, it’s a shame they didn’t do the Conquest format the whole time. I think the format really hamstrung the ability of the fans to really get invested in the new faces. It didn’t help that during Chaos most of the champs showed/were edited to show much more personality and charisma than the actual competitors this season.