Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
posting in this thread to follow, as well as to remind myself to post here, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would like to nominate the following song for the thread's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-jhJfHkS9w

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, would there be any room in this thread for me to talk about international game shows? 'cause I got a few of them i could tell you about.

also, would linking episodes of them run against the TVIV rules?

BTW, a good link to add to the OP, OP: Game Shows, I Suppose -- a game show podcast run by our very own TelevisedInsanity.

(and i'm not just saying this because I was a guest on an episode)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 15, 2019

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a first look of spin the wheel out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnYeFh5J79Y

Dax Shephard! A 30-foot wheel! and $23 million dollars in cash (that'll be highly unlikely to win)!

also: drawn out interviews, testimonials, a big name produc... look, we're looking at fox trying to counter the wall, but instead of plinko it's the showcase showdowncalifornia big spin wheel.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaveWoo posted:

I tried it. It's literally The Wall, but with a wheel.

Even down to the endgame buyout that the friend/family is offered?

Because that sucks. I mean, not from a prize budget standpoint, but from a narrative standpoint. I just don’t consider it as particularly fun to watch.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine the price is right requiring you to put the item you won up for bid in order to play the goddamned clock game.

because that's about the one thing i could think of that would actually be worse than the buyout. wasn't a fan of it when they did it on set for life (all 1 1/2 episodes of it), ain't a fan of it now.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's moving to cmt, and they're calling it 'Nashville Squares.'

because yeah. sure.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 26, 2019

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of price is right, you ever wonder why there's never been a pilot of the current version? at this point in history (1972), old man goodson didn't need to film a pilot, just cut to the sales pitch. and to do that, they more or less filmed an office run-through with him and dennis james playing a couple of pricing games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv3eCE9C2Uk

also includes clips of james guest-hosting let's make a deal -- as part of the first wave/pre-scandal period of game shows, james was that kind of "audience participation" host from the era of shows like 'truth or consequences,' 'people are funny,' and 'okay, mother'* -- shows where the game was nowhere near as important as it was to put people in unexpected situations to see how they'd react.

*took its name from james' early days in tv of announcing boxing and wrestling matches for the dumont network -- it was his way of explaining what was going on to those unfamiliar with either sport/'sport.'

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 12, 2019

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of audience participation shows, why the gently caress has nobody tried to bring back truth or consequences? for such a simple show, they had a hell of a lot of creativity with their scenarios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrCzg6u6Eg&t=379s

(and it really shows how well bob barker did with crowdwork. and it's a shame time constraints got tighter and tighter on price towards the end of his tenure that it became a rote process for him. that, and age catching up to him. :( )

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay, after doing a lot of working, i finally found the time to write about a european game show:

De Slimste Mens ter Wereld ("The Smartest Person in the World")

2003 - present, produced by woestijnvis -- here's a recent episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbv2ClPd7H0

woestijnvis takes its name from a blooper from the belgian version of wheel of fortune. they also gave the world "kabouter wesley"

it's really got a laid-back, late-night chat show vibe going on, and it really comes through in the first round as it gives the players, van looy, and the two guests on the jury a chance to crack jokes, show short internet videos leading into the questions, and just generally giving the contestants a chance to warm up and shake off any nervousness they might have.

for all but the first season, it's been hosted by director erik van looy (directed "the loft" and "memory of a killer"), and features celebrities as contestants, with a rotating crew of other celebrities who act as the jury for the show -- what actual adjudication duties they may have is never really clear, but given that comedians seem to be most often on the jury i'd be tempted to say they're there as a way to punch up the conversation to keep things lively.

so here's how it breaks down: The contestants are playing for time, each starting out with a bank of 60 seconds. During regulation play, the player with the most time earned sits out of the final round, with 2nd and 3rd place going head-to-head to determine which player goes home.

round one is called 3-6-9. 15 questions, players keep control until they get a question wrong, with the caveat being that ten extra seconds are awarded for the correct answer to every third question in the stack. it's standard, simple, q-and-a stuff. like i said, it's played somewhat loose here, because this takes up the biggest part of the show (even then the very first question isn't asked until some 9 minutes into it). it gives the players, van looy, and the two guests on the jury a
chance to crack jokes, show short internet videos leading into the questions, and just generally giving the contestants a chance to warm up and shake off any nervousness they might have.

round two is called 'open door.' here is where things start getting serious (kinda). each player gets their own question, and the 3rd-place player starts off by picking one of three video clips leading into their question. the video clips generally have other celebrities asking the question, like when they got quentin tarrantino to ask one during a press junket for the hateful eight on a championship episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3qG_TMMh0

as you'll see here, the questions are open-ended to encourage the players to rattle off everything they know about the subject. you'll also notice that from here on out, each player is on their clock when they're trying to answer. there are four pre-selected words or phrases associated with the subject that award additional 20 seconds to their time if they mention them during their answer. the clock stops when they either give all the answers or when they're stumped and say 'stop.' if there are any answers unrevealed when a player stops, then the other players get a chance to steal, starting with the player with the least amount of time.

round three is the puzzle round: 12 items are shown, and the object is to figure out the common bonds between three groups of four -- it's a bit like the connecting wall from only connect, but they're not required to call out the items in each group, just what they have in common. it's a little harder, so they award 30 seconds for each common bond they find. again, any unsolved groups are offered to the other players for a chance to steal.

round four is the gallery: each player looks at ten pictures with a common theme. they aren't told what that theme is, but it gets pretty obvious by the second or third picture. all the players have to do is say what they're looking at -- and the pictures have varied from memes, to album covers, to celebrities with a common name, IDing artists by their paintings, you name it. right answers add ten seconds, players can call 'stop' and go onto the next one if they don't know -- however, everybody only gets to see each picture once, so attempts to steal have to be from memory.

round five is collective memory: each player gets a video clip (items from the news, usually, but tv and film clips are also mixed in). each clip is worth up to 150 seconds, broken down by how many answers they give (1st right answer is worth 10, 2nd is worth 20, 3rd is 30, etc), so a player who stops too early is giving a trailing player a chance to rocket ahead.

at this point, the player with the most time is crowned the winner and gets to come back tomorrow. the other two players take their scores with them into the finale. head-to-head play, each question has five answers, the player with the least time gets first crack. correct answers knock twenty seconds off their opponent's clock, with the goal being to run the other person's clock out before yours does.

the way the tournament works is that they keep track of how many episodes a player has been on, with ties broken by how many times a player finished in first place. doesn't seem fair to those who got in two days before the championship started, right? well, the two players who get to return at the end of regulation play get to play in the post-season, but they're joined by the player at the bottom of the top ten. the next episode, the departing contestant is replaced by the 9th-best, and so on until the season finale when the top-ranked player plays whoever is left. in the championship episode, the two highest scores play in the finale to determine who is the overall champ.

like i said, i love the hell out of this show, and encourage others to check it out. i was introduced to this show by nick "brig bother" gates (contributor to ukgameshows and operator of bothersbar.co.uk) who even did a short tournament with some of his friends, so if you'd like to see an english-language version of it in action, you're in luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrZjDF_RMk

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 18, 2019

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Legends of the Industrial Temple also looks promising; I don't know what it says about either Nickelodeon's budget or modern transatlantic airplane tickets that they'll film this in England instead of whipping something up in a backlot.

well, for what its worth, they flew people out to peru for estate of panic (god, what an awesome show that was), and i think a lot of international versions of wipeout also did the same.

it's possible they sold this to networks in a number of countries as a cost-saving measure. just fly everybody out to the one, massive set instead of everybody building their own.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let’s not forget our Canadian neighbors — there’s a documentary coming up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1wS8l_ztE8

Hey, it’s the dude from Conan’s trip to the wax museum!

edit: but seriously, adam's biographies of bill cullen, alan ludden, and dennis james are great reads and worth the couple of bucks for the ebooks.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 23, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in old game show news, it's always a treat when more episodes of Whew! show up, and wink martindale's youtube brand has found an absolute doozy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwEYZcdJdZA

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and i'll admit this is a personal thing, because i love seeing the process by which a show goes from a pitch, to an office runthrough, to the pilot (and in some cases, pilots), to the actual series.

wheel of fortune, for instance, was an absolute clusterfuck in the "shopper's bazaar" pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKRebb0xuhQ

(even chuck woolery talked about how much bullshit that was, in the rare moment when he wasn't blaming brown people for the world's problems)

it moved a little closer to what we know now (albeit Ed "Kooky" Byrnes was completely in the bag [allegedly] when he was hosting it, to the point where merv griffin overheard him trying to remember which letters were vowels). but props for using maynard fergusons' "give it one" for the theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5wmlf4A_g&t=34s

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in old game show news HOLY poo poo SOMEBODY FOUND AN EPISODE THE MONEYMAZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFnGapNEnY4

no, i've never seen this show apart from the pilot, but i get hyped whenever somebody finds an episode of a series thought to be lost.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 30, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maigius posted:

That was neat, however it looks like it could get lopsided very quickly in the points round.

which i think was why the last round was supposed to give the trailing team a chance to get as many right as they could.

supposed to, because oof. out on the first question

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:stare:
https://deadline.com/2020/08/american-ninja-warrior-champion-drew-drechsel-arrested-child-sex-crimes-1203004465/

No news on when season 12 comes back, plus erasing him from history, guess that means I have to learn to like the Titan Games now.

ahahahahahaha goddamn.

in terms of PR nightmares, this is as bad as that VH1 reality show that had a contestant murder another contestant.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw, there's now a wipeout/mxc/takeshi's castle-style battle royale game on PS4 and steam called "fall guys: ultimate knockout."

games has a thread tracking it, and the game's fun as hell:

https://v.redd.it/864wja9ef3f51/DASH_360.mp4?source=fallback

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a while back i posted about "de slimste mens ter wereld." one of the two european shows i would love to see here.

a big part of why i love the show is the promos they cut for announcing the lineup of judges for the upcoming season. for a few years now, they've been rather elaborate presentations. this year's promo is no exception, doing a parody of once upon a time in hollywood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8IUFrD5oQ

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robnoxious posted:

I would also like to see a revival of Whew! but only me and another goon that changed his name even remember that one.

as perhaps that other goon, it's time this thread should be introduced to perhaps the best onomatopoeic game show ever to make it to air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAGINdyZtMQ

this was one of the first game shows "the new price is right" producer jay wolpert made after quitting old man goodson. as far as game shows go, whew is both stereotypical as hell but also one of the few shows i can point to as examples of the genre at its very best.

it's fast, loud, with a set awash with color and flashing lights out the rear end, but it was refreshingly original in both its structure, its presentation, and its material: work your way up a board of statements with one factually incorrect word (e.g. "the japanese bombed pearl bailey"). but you have two problems: not only is time not on your side with having to do it in sixty seconds, but your opponent can turn six spots on the board into penalties that makes poo poo run even tighter. get one right at the top of the board with seconds to spare and you win, otherwise the round goes to your opponent. best two out of three runs 'the gauntlet of villains' for $25k.

and as far as bonus rounds go, Jay Wolpert and Bud Austin made a fukkin masterclass on how good presentation can make a bog-standard ten-points-beats-the-buzzer bonus round into a top-tier affair and all in little ways that you may not notice (but your brain does): the way the 'clouds' part to reveal the gauntlet of villains; having physical, life-size representations of the current state of play, having the cardboard cutouts' arms lower when they've been 'defeated', and the syncopation in alan thicke's drum loops providing an extra boost in pacing.

i put whew's gauntlet on the same tier as the winner's circle on the $100k pyramid: they both embody similar energy but different directions. pyramid's tension comes from watching one translate their personal experience into the shared, struggling with the challenge of describing a quality only by citing examples of that quality. whew's gauntlet isn't as complex, but it works because it is no less enthralling; it works in the way watching indiana jones run from a boulder draws you in. $25,000 in 1979 was still buy-a-house money, and a hell of an incentive for a contestant to try their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPZpgjwNC0
(incidentally, about 40 years after whew began, jay wolpert cited his production work in game shows as a inspirational source when crafting tension in his screenwriting):

sorry to get all CineD here, but... yeah. the show's good.

also: r.i.p. tom kennedy. 2/26/27 - 10/07/2020
(hell, if i make it to 93 myself i'd be... honestly, i'd be more surprised than anything the way i run my mouth about politics)

also also: gently caress yeah, doggles! i've long held that there oughtta be a loving indie/homebrew scene for game shows, and good on ya for making that poo poo happen. if i ever get this attention deficit disorder to go gently caress itself i'd be posting my poo poo.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 24, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(granted, there's just the two that i can recall: bzzz! was the other)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGxOLQNU98

edit: i have consulted with other nerds and have been corrected-- there's also boom (tom papa's clip-the-wire multiple choice thing), smush (ken ober with jeopardy's 'before and after' category), and click (merv griffin's last game show before he died and ryan seacrest's first tv show).

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 25, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ironic Twist posted:

I enjoyed reading more about Whew! because I only know about it in relation to this guy, who did research on a defending champion, blocked her perfectly, and then obliterated the bonus round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0t9lARYic

randy was one of the first friends i ever made online. he was probably the show's biggest fan and evangelist in the years before technology made video sharing possible.

it absolutely broke my heart when he passed away; he spent years trying to track down a copy of the episode with his gauntlet run (one of the few people he knew with a VCR back then managed to record his first win, but something happened that they didn't get the gauntlet). when he got diagnosed with throat cancer in the summer of 2000, every dork who had a tape collection searched far and wide. they found it, but randy passed away hours before the tape made it to his door.

this december will have been 19 years.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress YES. this is one of the first game shows i remember watching, but the "let's play the bonus round twice if a team sweeps" struck me as somewhat tacked on.

Go was in the later half of bob stewart's career as an independent producer (the last one to stay in new york), he had a habit of trying to work an idea into a show, and Go was certainly an example of his "if at first you don't succeed..." approach to brainstorming. bob got his start in television when monty hall, then an acquantence of bob's before getting into production himself, referred him to an opening with mark goodson/bill todman's crew in the 1950s. it was while he was there that he created password, to tell the truth, and the price is right. bob quit in the beginning of the sixties when goodson rejected (from what i understand) an early draft of the $10,000 pyramid.

he'd been trying to make the talkin' tango idea into a show for a while, at least since 1977 when "Get Rich Quick" was a pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTjlfwpB1JE

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat, what's crazy is that ain't the first time that's happened at wipeout.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, for those of you wondering which show was gonna get revived next, how many of you thought there was a chance that college bowl was gonna be revived?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigZWFL4iaQ

and of the negative fifteen people who thought college bowl would be revived, how many of you would have guessed that peyton manning would be hosting it?

this is a weird goddamned year, y'all.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh god there's gonna be stunts and it'll involve buttchugging, won't it?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

It's so good, they really used to have such a wild variance of games that are literally unlosable and games that are devilishly random (PLINKOOOOO)

it's not just the variance of winning, but in just how elaborate the pieces were for the games (and how often they'd gently caress up. not in this clip, tho, but hurdles was one they retired because poo poo just kept falling apart).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KquDtWv8f3g

also: of course you liked diane's dress the best you horny old bastard.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alex Trebek pilots have been popping up a lot since his passing, and it looks like Wink Martindale's youtube account found a doozy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFfyntPpw5g

lmao zero loving points on donkey kong

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spokes posted:

I mostly disliked how the showdown round was almost purely trivia/riddles, I had take my breath away, islands in the stream, Addams family, and seven years from the couch before any notes were played

Asides from the old episodes mentioning the songwriter on occasion, that's just about how Bid-a-Note worked on the Kennedy/James and Lange versions.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to say I really like the hustler.

It's almost entirely because it's more Craig Ferguson on TV (he has the snake mug with him), but the conceit about the questions being related to the hustler's life is a really nice touch

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's an excellent opportunity to have some bonus content, come to think of it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And the latest game show show contestant to get memory holed is the Season 20 Worst Cooks in America winner for beating her 3 year old daughter to death:
https://deadline.com/2021/01/food-network-pulls-worst-cooks-in-america-season-20-after-champion-arrested-for-child-murder-1234679156/

Jesus wept.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am genuinely happy to hear the hustler got renewed.

Doggles posted:

Fully assembled and wired the first of three score displays!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNQlTJQhoVt/

jesus christ this is awesome and i am amazed at the craftsmanship.

hoddamn, that's a sweet scoreboard.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 7, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best drawing game I've seen was a little summer replacement series from 1963 called "Picture This."

Team thing. Other team picks the item to be guessed, with a picture already given. one person would be given the word, and talk the artist through drawing the thing they had to guess as they were drawing it. Best 3-outta-5 wins.

It makes more sense in action:

https://youtu.be/L4ij6rTBOY4

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 24, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wanted to mention the recent announcement by the Ashai Broadcasting Corporation that they would be cancelling not just one of the longest-running game shows in Japanese television, but also one of the only Japanese game shows to still use regular civilians for its contestants: Panel Quiz Attack 25.

4-player quiz reversi -- buzz in with the right answer, you get to make your mark on the board. Flank your opponents' marks with two of your own and you flip them to your color. Just before the end of the game, a special 'attack chance' comes up and lets the controlling player flip any spot on the board back to neutral, with the next right answer claiming the space (and any flips that may result from it).

Most territory captured gets to play the bonus game for a vacation by seeing a short video consisting of clues behind the game board - but only their territory gets removed. here's the most-recent episode i've been able to find on the 'tubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25dtt16uMPU

From 1975 until 2011, the show was hosted by Kiyoshi Kodama. He stepped down as host in April 2011 citing illness, passing away a month later from stomach cancer. They devoted an entire episode of the show as a memorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPchf52sPM

Yasuyuki Urakawa then took over as host for four years, being replaced by Shosuke Tanihara in 2015.

Ashai Broadcasting Corporation made the decision as a way to try and attract a younger demographic. 46 years on TV is a damned good run for a game show, and I thought it was worth mentioning.

i keep picturing this image of whammo constantly licensing out the slip-n-slide brand (like sandy frank has done with name that tune), but explosive diarrhea derails every development attempt.

"WE EVEN GOT IMMODIUM TO SPONSOR THIS HOW DOES IT KEEP HAPPENING?!"

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 9, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am so loving jealous of you right now doggles

Also: HOLY poo poo

https://twitter.com/BUZZRtv/status/1425245626477039624?s=19

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 11, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robnoxious posted:

I wonder how many episodes still exist considering it hasn't seen the light of day since it first aired?
I figured Whew! was lost in an era of reusing videotape

**Smash Cut to doing a bare minimum of research**

According to Wiki, Burt Sugarman has all the master tapes.
That's pretty cool.

wink martindale has been pushing hard for whew for some reason. i know he signed an option to do a new celebrity sweepstakes but lord that was years ago.

EDIT: oh that's why

quote:

Thankfully for fans, some of the folks who still remember Whew! include Buzzr general manager Mark Deetjen, who has made unearthing “lost” game shows part of the mandate at the Fremantle-owned network. Over the years, staffers at Buzzr have also suggested Whew! to Deetjen as have some of the network’s viewers. “Every once in a while, we’d see fans on social media say, ‘Hey, have you guys ever thought about Whew!?’,” Deetjen says. (Full disclosure: Your correspondent is one such viewer.) But according to Deetjen, it was a “chance meeting” with gameshow producer and judge John Ricci Jr. (The $100,000 Pyramid) which helped turn those internal discussions into a concerted effort to get Whew! on Buzzr. Turns out Ricci Jr. and gameshow hosting legend Wink Martindale (Tic Tac Dough) had signed on to represent series creator Jay Wolpert and producer Burt Sugarman (The Midnight Special), who still control rights to the original episodes and were trying to get them back in front of viewers. “This is a show that had been sitting on the shelf, and it fit what we needed,” Deetjen says. “It was an opportunity for us to bring back a show that’s kind of a cult classic that really fits with kind of the Buzzr mantra of, “Hey, we’re not going to just give you everything that you think you’re going to get.’…We were able to strike a very good agreement.”

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 12, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i did this in the jeopardy thread, but i thought i would start showing off international versions of game shows. to start, here's a crosspost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvbExEWrXT4

italy's version got a revival in the 90s, notable for the host catching one of the contestants trying to sneak notes in her blouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wfg95vVdTk

(the italian and german versions are also worth pointing out for going with a double-or-nothing question on a specialty category instead of final jeopardy -- der grosse preis had contestants bringing an expert on their chosen subject to adjudicate for the final)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQa6e1FNmI

also, japan's version ("quiz grand prix") started out with a fifteen-minute run time and had five players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsehoK6BPY

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm shocked there's no discussion thread or chatter about FBOY ISLAND, which four episodes in has been so much more incredible than it has any right to be.

a name like fboy island wasn't the best initial draw for me, but i'll have to check it out.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a reminder, a one-season game show that hardly anyone has ever heard of that also has captured the hearts of a lot of game show nerds is now on tv again for the first time in 42 years and I think that's just great.

http://buzzrplay.com/watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Presenting the dumbest goddamned blooper I've seen so far on Whew! and I can't stop laughing at it:

Robnoxious posted:

I am someone who remembers that one season gameshow no one has heard of.
I remember when it went "Celebrity" like many game show from that era went in a last ditch effort to save it.
Could Hitman or Break The Bank follow?

Probably not hit man, they only got clearance for single-use for the photos they ran during the briefings. BtB (I'm assuming you're talking about B&E's Hollywood Battleship and not the goofy stunt show that Gene Rayburn left part of the way through) could be, tho.

quote:

That being said, who do I gotta jack-off to have Geoff Edward's Treasure Hunt to see the light of day again?
Maybe it's the fogging of the nostalgia glasses over the years but I seem to remember Geoff sadistically stringing housewives around for 20 minutes just to discover they won a year's supply of Turtle Wax.

Again, it's down to clearances. Supposedly one of the music cues (and not the Glenn Campbell cover) is the reason why.

But I will wholeheartedly concur about (The New) Treasure Hunt.

For the uninitiated, imagine let's make a deal and their whole "money or the box" scenario, but no matter how the contestant decides, they play out a little sketch involving the production staff. That sketch also manages to drag the contestant through seven shades of hell in the process. False reveals that go from valuable prizes to 'klunks' (their version of a zonk. Retail value: $4.23) to a Rolls Royce only to award a roll of toilet paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWkkXU1d98

Mike Wallace interviewed Chuck Barris on 60 minutes over the show because there was some pearlclutching over how much they hosed with the contestants. Barris being Barris, though, thought it was great for business.

Geoff Edwards, the host, was getting sick of it. After a production meeting in which they proposed revealing a sports car but intending on the windshield wiper to be the actual prize, Geoff decided he had enough, and Chuck decided he had better irons in the fire.

It was revived for syndication in the early 80s, but by this point Chuck Barris was producer in name only. Some of those shows are okay, but they pale in comparison to when it was the new treasure hunt (the old treasure hunt was a Jan Murray vehicle back in the fifties)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 14, 2021