Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

imagine the price is right requiring you to put the item you won up for bid in order to play the goddamned clock game.
Speaking of TPIR, I just noticed in my program guide that over-the-air subchannel BUZZR is rolling a TPIR marathon that will start in about 20 minutes.
This would be the first time in decades that Fremantle has let old episodes of TPIR see the light of day.
I don't think TPIR was ever aired on Game Show Network outside of maybe some one off runs with John Davidson or Tom Kennedy hosting the TPIR PM edition.

BUZZR will be running the Bill Cullen hosted edition which means they might be airing the very first episodes before Bob Barker was tapped to host the incarnation of TPIR we all know and love.
Bill Cullen also hosted TPIR PM in the mid to late 70s.

Expect lots of furs, deep shag carpeting, Z-Brick wall covering and Datsun B-210s as prizes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I agree with whoever said ABC is knocking it out of the park with the game show revivals.
My only exception is "To Tell The Truth".
It just doesn't work for me.
The rest are all fab!

ABC has hit most of the classics but I would like to see a revival of $ale Of The Century and High Rollers/Gambit.
I would also like to see a revival of Whew! but only me and another goon that changed his name even remember that one.

A show that I think would work a second go around is Liar's Club, where a celebrity panel pass around and explain what an odd object or thing is to the contestants.
Only one of the panelists is telling the truth, so the objective is to sniff out who is telling the truth against all the bullshit but oftentimes more plausible fabrications the panel comes up with.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 23, 2020

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Yes and wow that's gonna be dope
I came here to post this! Watching right now on Pluto Tv.

I <3 it so much!

Bob Barker and the inimitable prize announcing from the great Johnny Olson.
Add the Classic Barker Beauties: Dian Parkinson, Janice Pennington & Holly Hollstrom and I just reverted back to when I was 12 years old and was on School Fog Delay or Summer Break.

Dem classic Score Production music stings... all the feels... ALL of them!

Surprised it showed up on Pluto Tv instead of Buzzr but I'll take whatever classic TPIR I can get.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ironic Twist posted:

I'm definitely going to give this a watch, because about a month ago I was giving serious thought to how someone would revamp Dirty Rotten Cheater for 2020. And now it turns out someone's actually doing it.
Anything with Craigy Ferg is going to be dope.
The dude needs more tv work because a world without the Scottish Conan is a world I don't wanna live in.

I'd say he needs to go back to Late Night with his gay skeleton robot and pantomime horse but if that won't happen game shows it is.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

"Pictionary" snuck in as a syndicated game show with the fat kid from Stand By Me (Jerry O'Connell) as a host.

All I can grasp is people try to sketch things but the guessers having known the answer category the guessers (a team of 2 minus the sketcher) just blurt out random answers that can fulfill the category and get the answer.

It's not very good... it's no Win, Lose Or Draw.

And Win, Lose or Draw was a very flimsy premise of a game show as it is.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Island Nation posted:

I complained about this in the Jeopardy thread but who decided to make College Bowl the Hee Haw Comedy Hour?

Yeah, the banter between Peyton and his brother is forced and pointless.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I am so loving jealous of you right now doggles

Also: HOLY poo poo

https://twitter.com/BUZZRtv/status/1425245626477039624?s=19
I wonder how many episodes still exist considering it hasn't seen the light of day since it first aired?
I figured Whew! was lost in an era of reusing videotape

**Smash Cut to doing a bare minimum of research**

According to Wiki, Burt Sugarman has all the master tapes.
That's pretty cool.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

As a reminder, a one-season game show that hardly anyone has ever heard of that also has captured the hearts of a lot of game show nerds is now on tv again for the first time in 42 years and I think that's just great.

http://buzzrplay.com/watch
I am someone who remembers that one season gameshow no one has heard of.
I remember when it went "Celebrity" like many game show from that era went in a last ditch effort to save it.
Could Hitman or Break The Bank follow?

That being said, who do I gotta jack-off to have Geoff Edward's Treasure Hunt to see the light of day again?
Maybe it's the fogging of the nostalgia glasses over the years but I seem to remember Geoff sadistically stringing housewives around for 20 minutes just to discover they won a year's supply of Turtle Wax.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 10, 2021

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Interesting tidbit from the TTD revival -- NBC is trying to shop it around with a revival of Concentration. Which makes sense cause they own both formats outright as part of buying out Barry & Enright after the quiz scandals.

https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/1381113042361069568?s=19
How does that explain Snoop Dogg's short-lived revival of "The Joker's Wild" on Turner Network?
That was a B&E product.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Doggles posted:

Ooof.

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1447596555452784641

I was one of them at least. It's not bad, but I wouldn't say it's good either. It's an hour-long show...

It's like the producers saw just how good the Supermarket Sweep remake is, and decided to take the complete opposite lessons from that.
There's the rub, Supermarket Sweep still keeps it to a tight half hour format and just runs double episodes for the hour.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

another seemingly lost series has had an episode turn up on youtube, this time it's alex trebek's first american show, the wizard of odds (lyrics by alan thicke):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fll-_C8UBr8

I remember this one.
Not all that great hence why it was yanked quickly but Alex certainly shines as a host.

High Rollers will really put Alex on the map the next year.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Does the show Shark Tank fall under this thread? If so let me just say, drat, what a good low effort casual evening CNBC watch.

Numbers wise I think the meta is that unless there's a good reason, go with Lori.

Lori has the edge that she can blow up your product quickly with her QVC angle for sure.

However, and this might not be a popular opinion, I think Barbara is the shrewd one to make a deal with.
I could be talking out of my rear end but I thought I read somewhere that Barbara's shark tank portfolio was the most successful out of all of them but that was years ago so it's likely changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Because, OF COURSE HE IS.
However, I don't see Seacrest taking the mantle for 40+ years or even 10.

The guy has a short attention span in any venture.

Might as well bookmark a successor to Seacrest now and get it out of the way because that baton toss is looming faster than you think.
Pete Davidson is the front runner.

I never thought Drew Carey would run TPIR as long as he has but here we are.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 28, 2023