Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I finally finished the last season of The Challenge on the bad MTV app and started on this one. Something had to give when Wednesday became a wrestling war again and it ended up being the Challenge. It ended up being a decent season even if the gameplay was beyond dumb for most of the game although it was interesting how much team USA ended up paying for that in the end.

You can tell this season's "you must compete in an elimination to make the finals" rule is a response to that, and probably a necessary one since the social game in the current format had been pretty much a solved equation with the core group of players, although I do wonder if it's a problem that would've taken care of itself over time and attrition of the alliance. I have a feeling, especially given the spoilery episode titles that Jay from Survivor isn't long for the game but he's been a nice fit and his willingness to just dive into the politics is something you don't see from new players to that show very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Victorkm posted:

I have never liked Rogan since he wussed out on the opening race on his first season. His second season when he won without ever going into elimination or even being in danger of it didnt endear him to me, and he's even more full of himself this season and after what he did to Jay man do I hate his rear end.

He's awful.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

The game show community really falls asleep on The Challenge, and I still have no idea why (shameless plug for the most recent episode) - because they've somehow figured out the format that can PLEASE every fan of these reality-comps by bringing them back year-after-year and always bringing in new people from other reality-comp shows and have that versatile format where something like needing a skull to get into the final challenge makes for real strategy.

I definitely agree. It often feels like one of the innovators in the genre, which is amazing for a show that's a 20 year old competition show between two long dead reality shows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is not in regards to the current Challenge episode since I'm still a few behind but it's really interesting how many "production obviously putting their thumb on the scale" eliminations we've had that have gone the other way this season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Watching the episode of the Challenge post the firing of Dee, it really goes to show the power of editing in these shows, I mean she was in the elimination that week, was the target of a big blind side, and were still able to pretty much edit her out of the show except for all but like a 1 minute of interrogation before the elimination.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 18, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That owl looks cool.

Is this where I post about the new USA Snake in the Grass show? It’s bad, definitely the worst of the revived “which person is sabotaging you?” reality genre, but I like this genre in general so I am watching it. They spent all their budget on printing parchment with bad clues on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Challenge hasn't been THE BEST this year but the never-won season has been fresh air at least with all the old names only being around for a single episode each. I kind of think they did this 3-4 years too late because they had people who were names that never won that you could build around in the past, and they would not have had to so desperately lean on the past people so much in the advertising with a few of them still around. But this season has established some new names which they really really needed.

I think winners-only would be a nice gimmick for season 40 but I don't actually think they've had enough different winners to carry a 15 episode season like they like to do these days.