Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Gazpacho posted:

Quick aside: Don't forget about the cards. You haven't shown their current rates but they are also high-rate debt that would normally have priority over moderate-rate debt.

Definitely. And I apologize to the thread for being a bit of a dumbass, but there's currently $1800 in credit card debt after paying that last card. I should have double checked before posting. I forgot we used one of them for gas and misc expenses when driving from Nashville back to Reno (that was our final trip).

As far as I can tell we'll be able to knock out all of that on the 22nd and possibly put our first payment towards the RV.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm curious where you got the mentality of throwing away money on rent at $1500 a month, because by my math you're throwing it away on rent to a bank thusly:

Truck $755 (2014 f150 fx4?)
Trailer $375
Storage unit $95
RV Parks? $600 (4/19)
$1825

You're not saving any money by doing this.
When you aren't illegally living somewhere I assume that's where RV park rent comes from? A coworker of mine lives in an RV in a park and has an F150 and he's paying roughly that too.
Also LOL if you think you'll save money by buying a house. Even my paid off house costs me money in HOA, property tax, and insurance. Principal and interest were literally $300 of an $1100 house note.They vaporize money faster than anything I've ever seen aside from airplanes. I sense you're already getting belligerent with people pointing out the obvious that you dun goofed. It's not roadside BBQ like you wanted, but you're right there in the realm of Bad With Money.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Holy crap Knyteguy you dug your hole way deeper financing a truck and an RV on terrible terms.

Here is my one and only earnest post for you in your new BFC thread:

- Research and document your net worth in 2016 when you abandoned your last thread.
- Document your net worth today.
- Find a therapist who will look at these documents, tell you you have a problem, and agree to work with you on improving your problem.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

I'm curious where you got the mentality of throwing away money on rent at $1500 a month, because by my math you're throwing it away on rent to a bank thusly:

Truck $755 (2014 f150 fx4?)
Trailer $375
Storage unit $95
RV Parks? $600 (4/19)
$1825

You're not saving any money by doing this.
When you aren't illegally living somewhere I assume that's where RV park rent comes from? A coworker of mine lives in an RV in a park and has an F150 and he's paying roughly that too.
Also LOL if you think you'll save money by buying a house. Even my paid off house costs me money in HOA, property tax, and insurance. Principal and interest were literally $300 of an $1100 house note.They vaporize money faster than anything I've ever seen aside from airplanes. I sense you're already getting belligerent with people pointing out the obvious that you dun goofed. It's not roadside BBQ like you wanted, but you're right there in the realm of Bad With Money.

Our truck and trailer expenses don't go away if we rent an apartment, the apartment just adds to our expenses.

Correct on the living 'illegally'. If we can't live in a backyard then yes we'll need to add RV park rent to it or live in a bedroom (still for free). If we stick to the plan then it may not be a problem; if it is I'll work out something.

I'm not trying to save money on a house at all. I don't consider a home you live in an investment; on the contrary probably. That's why I put a probably asterisk on the OP re: buying a home. Property taxes here are probably some of the lowest in the country and are capped to a maximum 3% growth every year, but conversely the homes are expensive.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Yikes, KG, I remember your first thread and this was NOT the update I was hoping for.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man there's nothing quite like being $80,000 in debt and choosing to roam the country in an RV

it's a real rush

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thumbtacks posted:

man there's nothing quite like being $80,000 in debt and choosing to roam the country in an RV

it's a real rush

Cause I'm freeeeeeeeee

Freeeee falllllling

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Nah that's true but not as bad as it sounds. I work remotely, and we've been traveling and seeing the country RVing for the past year and a half with our kid, hence the RV and truck. During that time we hit up 25 states, got some hella good Nashville hot chicken, had some Santa Fe chile dishes, watched a Detroit Lion's game in Detroit, got some Texas barbecue, camped on gulf beaches, camped on lawns, went to Monterey Bay Aquarium, l saw an rear end-ton of national and state parks, saw a manatee take a poop in the gulf, and went deep sea fishing next to some dolphins in Florida. Pretty cool!

this is a vacation for people with money. even ignoring all the events you went to, how much do you think you spent on gas RVing around the country for a year and a half let alone food

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like that KG thinks his financial picture has improved

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He has money.

The bank gave it to him.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

this is a vacation for people with money. even ignoring all the events you went to, how much do you think you spent on gas RVing around the country for a year and a half let alone food

I don't need to tell you how much I think I spent. We tracked it.

January 2018 -> April 2018 (15 months)

$4,400 plus another $500 or so for the last leg on the credit card on fuel.
$3,705 on RV parks
$5,000 on groceries
$3,500 on restaurants

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You're nearing your mid 30s and you've got a negative net worth. You're in a far worse position than Zaurg is/was - just something to contemplate. I'd wager you're seriously overvaluing your trailer. The one you linked says very little use, you've been living full time in yours and stinking it up by being a smoker and having dogs in it.

Asking the bank that already is carrying the note on your RV to lower your rates probably won't get you very far. When was the last time you pulled your credit? You should start shopping ASAP to find out if you can get a better loan for it.

There are other people that are faster at calculating retirement numbers, but you should probably be saving at least 15% of your net income. Do either of your jobs offer retirement benefits? Do they match contributions? If you are not opting into those now, you need to get on it.

Are you going to create a budget? If not, how are you going to control your spending?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

now do RV + truck payment and insurance

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

now do RV + truck payment and insurance

Yep. Was going to say the same thing.
And maintenance/repairs.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I like how in his head the really dumb thing kg did was open the thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
KG thread 2019: in debt for the rest of my life, but I once got to eat Nashville hot chicken

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

17% on the RV is due to credit being a bit too low during financing.

So what’s considered a good rate on an RV loan as opposed to “credit a bit too low?” And what led you to decide taking on a 17% loan was the correct move for you over other options you had?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

KG thread 2019: in debt for the rest of my life, but I once got to eat Nashville hot chicken

I’m most likely missing something in this thread but if dude actually has 5000/mo to put to debt payment it seems like it’d be not horrifically hard to get out of debt in about two years. Still kind of hosed for a 35 year old with a family but out of debt.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m most likely missing something in this thread but if dude actually has 5000/mo to put to debt payment it seems like it’d be not horrifically hard to get out of debt in about two years. Still kind of hosed for a 35 year old with a family but out of debt.

If he focuses you’re probably right, I just couldn’t resist the title.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

So what’s considered a good rate on an RV loan as opposed to “credit a bit too low?” And what led you to decide taking on a 17% loan was the correct move for you over other options you had?

I’m not sure.

Dave Ramsey sometimes suggest taking a personal loan out to cover the difference on a upside down car loan and selling the thing. Any thoughts on that avenue?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I’m not sure.

Currently just under 6% would be "good".

Knyteguy posted:

Dave Ramsey sometimes suggest taking a personal loan out to cover the difference on a upside down car loan and selling the thing. Any thoughts on that avenue?

Depends on the rate you can get for what you need. Go find out and tell us.

If you can get a decent rate for enough to unload that truck and buy a beater and it allows you to pay it down inside of a year you might be on to something.

I never suggest people try to borrow their way out of debt, but you are just so full of bad decisions while making a decent amount of money that this just might work IF and only if you can stick to a plan.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get the house then let them repo your poo poo and pay cash for everything since you can't get any more loans. I mean they'll come after you for the difference but whatever.

Seriously though if you have decent credit still try and get a sub 10% rate on that RV to save some money and start killing that loan with a fever

I'd toss anything you can at loans and credit cards etc and then for the love of God start investing in retirement.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 18, 2019

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I never thought I’d see the type of person who chooses to swap their grey nomad period of life with their dynamic late 20s-30s but here we are.

KG you gone done hosed up in a big way and it’s time to pay the piper. Strongly restrict your spending, shovel money into the loans from highest to lowest, and think up some way to extract yourself out of your illegal living situation. The last part matters because it’s a risk which would normally not be too bad but for you would be ruinous because you literally can’t afford the alternatives. Living in your parents’ spare room as a 30 year old with a wife, kid, two cats and two dogs is not the answer holy gently caress.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nam Taf posted:

I never thought I’d see the type of person who chooses to swap their grey nomad period of life with their dynamic late 20s-30s but here we are.

KG you gone done hosed up in a big way and it’s time to pay the piper. Strongly restrict your spending, shovel money into the loans from highest to lowest, and think up some way to extract yourself out of your illegal living situation. The last part matters because it’s a risk which would normally not be too bad but for you would be ruinous because you literally can’t afford the alternatives. Living in your parents’ spare room as a 30 year old with a wife, kid, two cats and two dogs is not the answer holy gently caress.

Yep, gotta pay for the past 2 years now.

I don't really care from like a pride perspective about living with my family at 30. It's not uncommon in Asia even while married, and I'm a millennial most people already think I'm a bum anyway. It's a really difficult choice to continue staying in the RV, don't get me wrong. But we have a strong safety net; we'll be ok. My family talked me out of an apartment at the last minute - we were very close to getting a 2BR (with free gigabit internet dammit) but they said save your money while being aware of the situation. My grandma would put some BFC posters to shame with how she handles money, and she has our best financial and other interests in mind.

Maybe I'll reconsider when we take care of everything but the truck or something though (3-4 months).

Alright so I got around to combining the concept budget with our actual budget:

"Category Name ($x)" is the format, $x is our regular budgeted amount. This should be good month over month.

This month, as shown, we'll be putting $3,812 towards debt total. That's about $1,200 shy of our goal, but we're also a paycheck short so we're roughly on track. Dynamic and fun money is high this month, but we weren't using our new budget yet.

The values in green are what I'll hold the family (including myself obviously) to from this point forward. The debt pay down fund for the remainder of the month will be allocated as $1,800 to the credit cards, and $700 to the RV (on top of the $357 payment). Give or take if my wife's paycheck numbers are off (it will be really nice to know exactly what numbers we're working with).

I thought my wife was paid semi-monthly like I am, but it's a bi-weekly pay period. I may need to adjust the budget slightly to account for that, but there was like $90 in wiggle room so I'll see what ends up happening.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 18, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What’s up with that debt pay down line? It seems to say that 2595 - 751 = 2509

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What’s up with that debt pay down line? It seems to say that 2595 - 751 = 2509

We had some money in there rollover from previous months, so that's why it looks weird. It should look better next month.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Knyteguy posted:

It's a really difficult choice to continue staying in the RV, don't get me wrong. But we have a strong safety net; we'll be ok.
No you loving don't. You have the option of a single bedroom in a family house for 2 adults, a baby and 4 pets. That's not a safety net, that's an option of last resort. You have an illegal living situation that could be yanked out from under you at any moment .You have literally $500 in savings on $100k of income.

Here's a list of how long those savings would support individual subcategories of your ideal budget:
  • Variable expenses: 15 days
  • Fixed expenses: 1 month
  • Debt repayment: 3 loving days
  • loving fun money: 55 days, but this is a loving joke because you're spending at least double that amount each month in practice.
  • Savings: 5 months
I included the last dot point to ram home an important point: If you were to blow your already insignificant savings, you'd take five goddamned months to rebuild it back. You spend 5 months of savings in three days of debt repayment.

You do not have a strong safety net. You are well over your head in deep poo poo and by a combination of miracles just happen to have a straw through which to still breathe. You have a frayed safety thread, not a safety net.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Why is buying a house even on the radar right now? Unless I'm missing something or the housing market where you live is incredibly cheap, you have almost $70k in debt and no savings. If you're going to put any money towards savings, at least stick it into an emergency fund, because $500 isn't going to go far.

If you can stick to paying off $5k of debt a month, that's great, and I really hope you can, but right now this thread is giving me palpitations.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

n8r posted:

You're in a far worse position than Zaurg is/was - just something to contemplate.

I've seen this movie before....

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 18, 2019

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Volcano posted:

Why is buying a house even on the radar right now? Unless I'm missing something or the housing market where you live is incredibly cheap, you have almost $70k in debt and no savings. If you're going to put any money towards savings, at least stick it into an emergency fund, because $500 isn't going to go far.

If you can stick to paying off $5k of debt a month, that's great, and I really hope you can, but right now this thread is giving me palpitations.

Because his grandmother offered to gift him 40k for a downpayment if he gets his poo poo together and manages to save another 20k himself. Since then, he's just moved farther away from that goal.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

howdoesishotweb posted:

I've seen this movie before....

:thurman: :perfect:

That's a reeal nice surprise Clark.

E: to actually contribute. Didn't you finance a Corolla when you went dark during the last thread? I take it you rolled negative equity into the F150 in order to get the loan value that high? Isn't that a 2014 FX4? I saw it posted ages ago.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 18, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i dunno how i missed this but the homie has 45k in truck debt after paying $750/mo on it for how many years? dude, how much truck did you buy and why on earth did you do it?

i go on the ford website and spec out a max tow package f150 supercrew short bed with the EcoBoost V6 and still only get to $48k

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dunno how i missed this but the homie has 45k in truck debt after paying $750/mo on it for how many years? dude, how much truck did you buy and why on earth did you do it?

i go on the ford website and spec out a max tow package f150 supercrew short bed with the EcoBoost V6 and still only get to $48k

Yeah I really expected this to be a f250 super duty diesel....

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The part I don't get is how that truck is $45k without negative equity. Because it can only be a 2014 at the newest, since they switched to the new aluminum bodystyle in 2015. Also I have that same trim (FX2) with a 5.0L V8 and it was $24k used with 62k miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i assume there's a negative equity roll in there somewhere

April
Jul 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seriously, KG, how did this happen?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Also how did you agree to 17.75% interest on anything let alone an RV?

Did you spend any time looking at loan rates? If I go to my Credit Union's website they advertise RV loans starting at 4.24%. And that's after loan rates have gone up.

Or did you go to an RV dealer and agree to whatever financing they offered, because you wanted to RV and didn't give a drat about setting boundaries on how much it cost you?

No I'm not asking a question I just want to demonstrate your poor decision making 6 years on after starting your first BFC thread.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:thunk:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

:same: :same: but different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I like these threads because they always give me the creeping terrors that lead me to make extra car payments and use coupons the next time I go grocery shopping