Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

If you can't scrape 1k together to get your Roth IRA set up, lol at even considering buying a house.

No, see, he can just withdraw from his 401k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
401k is a windfall

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I was advised against life insurance when I brought it up last time, but I agree with more coverage. I'll shop around and get some quotes.

Ok I just got this setup, but it's imperfect right now, poo poo is categorized incorrectly, etc. So June's spending is pretty far off. I didn't spend $749 on entertainment this month, but I'm not going to bother fixing old transactions since I can categorize each transaction individually moving forward. Credit cards are all screwed up I think so I'll keep an eye on those.

I'm going to get a feel for our actual spending moving forward. I've never really done that and made budgeting decisions based on what I thought I could do in an ideal situation instead of perhaps trying to slowly get cut back and hit modest goals. July will be a learning month. The goal is still to fund the IRA to a minimum and beyond that just follow the budget. If there's money leftover I'll decide what to do with it then.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

We're you advised against any life insurance, Or whole life cash value life sunk cost falacy scam insurance.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

tater_salad posted:

We're you advised against any life insurance, Or whole life cash value life sunk cost falacy scam insurance.

Just normal life insurance. It was around the time my son was born and I don’t remember the entire discussion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you know you can get a feel for your spending faster by looking backwards right

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you know you can get a feel for your spending faster by looking backwards right

There's been too many life changes recently, including COVID, my wife started working from home (likely for good), my son is about to start Kindergarten, etc to trust my historical data too much. Most of the budgeted numbers are averaged to the past few months, but even then we shouldn't need the home office supplies we already have now for a long awhile, etc.

But I'm open to ideas if there's a better way to approach this. There's still a few days left for July.

BTW 'wants' is still slush, and if we need money in 'needs' it will come from slush.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 24, 2020

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I upped my wife's 401k to 5%. The match is either 100% to 2.5% or 3%, and then 50% up to 5%.

edit: what the gently caress is going on with the forum drama?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

good.. even 50% is still free money left on the table.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What forum drama

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

What forum drama

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929213

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Well that’s not great

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

Well that’s not great

Agreed. This is basically the only general discussion place that's worth visiting. Posting here at least I'm fairly comfortable that's it not a bunch of corporate shills or propaganda bots manipulating discussion.

This community has always thrived despite lowtax.

https://www.casualdiscourse.com/forum.php is run by a goon and is an offshoot of an SA offshoot. I wouldn't exactly call it active though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Knyteguy posted:

There's been too many life changes recently, including COVID, my wife started working from home (likely for good), my son is about to start Kindergarten, etc to trust my historical data too much. Most of the budgeted numbers are averaged to the past few months, but even then we shouldn't need the home office supplies we already have now for a long awhile, etc.

These are all excuses. You can still get an 80% picture and make reasonable assumptions for the rest.

Knyteguy posted:

Okie doke, here's the (final draft) budget moving forward:

I know everyone is going to get grouchy as gently caress about the slush fund, but that's the only way I see us actually getting a budget that works for us; I'm just not a great planner. I accept that and will move forward despite it. That includes all food, medical, fuel, and discretionary activities.

I know you've fixed it, but this attitude is so wrong it's staggering. Your slush fund - your discretionary spending - is precisely where a budget can alter your behaviour. Your fixed utility costs, etc. are far harder to change because they're - duhh - fixed. Without budgeting your discretionary money, you're not really budgeting (i.e. you're doing a Zaurg, as sheri pointed out).

Just to reiterate to the void:

Discretionary budgets can change and be fluid, but if you spend over one another must immediately change to account for it. For example, you can budget $50 for eating out in a month, then at day 12 make the decision to take $30 from that and put it into buying a new boardgame or whatever. That's fine, but it has to balance overall so that $30 immediately comes out and reduces the eating out to $20.

By not tracking it below 'slush' level of granularity, you don't force yourself to make the conscious decision of whether you really want to commit the money to the purchase, because all you see is a big bucket of money that isn't spent and so don't value each dollar in it as highly. In that case, you'd instead buy the boardgame, but still see a pool of leftover money and think 'oh well I can afford to spend $50 to eat out', and you just push the discretionary shortfall around until the end of the month when suddenly you're out of money but you promised to go to the bar with that old mate from school and welp now you've blown your budget.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
We can't go to bars any more, Nam Taf. Duh. What a knucklehead.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

zaurg posted:

Shut the gently caress up, zaurg

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

zaurg posted:

Shut the gently caress up, you smoothbrained mouthbreather.

I don't live in a shithole full of and run by people of your intellectual incapacity, so I can actually attend bars again already. The example therefore holds.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 26, 2020

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
We're likely going to be moving at the end of this month.

After promotions to move here's how the first year looks:
$20,508 - new place
$18,000 - old place
---
$2,508 - difference
---
$209 - difference/mo

It's the same company that owns our current place so they can just transfer paperwork to the new place (we called and asked).

Current rent: $1505
New rent: $1800-$1909 (depending on view)

Deposit $299 and first 2 months rent $299. Probably a bit more for pet deposits.

It comes with 550 more sq/ft than we have now, an additional bedroom (for a dedicated office), and the best school district in the city.

3BR+ houses for rent would easily be about $900+/mo more than our current situation (I looked).

My wife's income was underbudgeted by about $200/mo so this actually shouldn't affect the budget categories much.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If you've had $200/month extra you weren't aware of, then what were you spending it on that you also weren't aware of? What are you doing to do to address that shortfall and adjust your behavior?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Well, at least you aren't buying a house.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Gotta spend money to save money.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Simpsons picture with them at bottom of hole from the bart in a well episode

I know I'll SPEND MY WAY OUT

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am jack's utter lack of surprise

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright so we got actual numbers:

$299/mo for 2 months of rent, $799 deposit with pets. After 2 months rent would be $1,855 after pet rent is added.

Deposit on current place was $915, although there's not a bunch of damage I never count on that.

$799 + $598 = $1,397

$1,855/mo for rent.

Yearly:
$1505*12 = $18,060 = current rent
$1855*10 + $1397 = $19,947 = new rent
---
$1,887 difference or $157.25/mo more to move, for the first year.

Now with that said, can you explain to me why it's a bad idea to move? Again the extra BR would be super helpful, and we never got this current place planning on making it home for 5 years; especially considering my wife now works from home and we're all walking over each other. The plan was to buy a house about nowish.

Finally I've been told /by you guys/ lots of times that spending money on your place to live isn't really the place to cut.

We have until Monday to make a choice. To me another 500 sq/ft plus the extra bedroom makes sense since we're, on the thread's input, probably 2 years+ out from buying a home. But I'm open to other ideas.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

If you've had $200/month extra you weren't aware of, then what were you spending it on that you also weren't aware of? What are you doing to do to address that shortfall and adjust your behavior?

I had a big effort post but I lost it accidentally. The jist is - I'm aware of it, but I like to be conservative with my wife's paychecks since she gets paid hourly.

As far as some change - some of the deficit can come from me quitting smoking today (switching to vaping, got the stuff last week). That'll cut $80-$180/mo.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So you know that extra 200 exists but you have no idea what it was spent on

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

So you know that extra 200 exists but you have no idea what it was spent on

I'm confused. The extra $200 has been going towards debt like all of our money. I didn't plan around it since my wife's 401k contribution got upped and she's hourly, but I acknowledge that it's there?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you had a budget you could make cuts in other areas to pay for the rent increase. Luckily you don't have one so you don't have to make any changes to your lifestyle.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

$299/mo for 2 months of rent, $799 deposit with pets. After 2 months rent would be $1,855 after pet rent is added.

Deposit on current place was $915, although there's not a bunch of damage I never count on that.

$799 + $598 = $1,397

$1,855/mo for rent.

Yearly:
---

Now with that said, can you explain to me why it's a bad idea to move? Again the extra BR would be super helpful, and we never got this current place planning on making it home for 5 years; especially considering my wife now works from home and we're all walking over each other. The plan was to buy a house about nowish.

Finally I've been told /by you guys/ lots of times that spending money on your place to live isn't really the place to cut.

We have until Monday to make a choice. To me another 500 sq/ft plus the extra bedroom makes sense since we're, on the thread's input, probably 2 years+ out from buying a home. But I'm open to other ideas.

You're constructing your thought process so what you want to do is what you're going to do anyway. You've decided you can't live long-term in your current place so if the choice is between buying a home and renting a slightly more expensive place, then yes renting will be better than buying.

But it's a false dichotomy, because you've already completely dismissed living in your current apartment entirely from your options. It might not be the ideal solution, but you're not even considering it in your analysis.

I hope you can recognize this pattern in your thought process. You decide what you want to happen, then construct everything so the decision you want is the only viable option.

Do you even know, or have you even considered, what you'd be able to do or how your plans might change with that extra money if you threw it at debt or into saving for a house?

You should look into using YNAB or Pocketsmith and make an actual for real grown up budget.

Edit:

n8r posted:

If you had a budget you could make cuts in other areas to pay for the rent increase. Luckily you don't have one so you don't have to make any changes to your lifestyle.

Basically this

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

You're constructing your thought process so what you want to do is what you're going to do anyway. You've decided you can't live long-term in your current place so if the choice is between buying a home and renting a slightly more expensive place, then yes renting will be better than buying.

But it's a false dichotomy, because you've already completely dismissed living in your current apartment entirely from your options. It might not be the ideal solution, but you're not even considering it in your analysis.

I hope you can recognize this pattern in your thought process. You decide what you want to happen, then construct everything so the decision you want is the only viable option.

Do you even know, or have you even considered, what you'd be able to do or how your plans might change with that extra money if you threw it at debt or into saving for a house?

You should look into using YNAB or Pocketsmith and make an actual for real grown up budget.

Edit:

Basically this

I do have a budget. With Pocketsmith (I spent like all of last month learning how to work it, though there's still a few things I'm learning). It accounts for biweekly and semi-monthly pay that we make also.

$1,000/mo extra towards the truck included.

I haven't dismissed living in our current apartment yet. We absolutely can stay, but I'm not going to lie and say the QoL/school zone changes in the new place wouldn't make a difference, because they would. Our plan was to throw it out to you guys and see what everyone says and go from there.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Between this and the "May and June had a lot of unexpected one time expenses, so we can't use those months as a basis for our budgeting" I'm pretty fuckin wary. When you don't have a budget, life is a series of unforeseen expenses.

Like for example, how much did your vaping stuff cost? How many months until you "pay off" your initial investment from the savings you get from making the change?

Knyteguy posted:

As far as some change - some of the deficit can come from me quitting smoking today (switching to vaping, got the stuff last week). That'll cut $80-$180/mo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

so when you posted this thread where was the we want to move in to a new bigger apt in a few weeks part

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
We're going to be hard on you, you're going to have to prove that you're really doing the hard work to change your habits and make long-term changes

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

$799 + $598 = $1,397

$1,855/mo for rent.

Yearly:
---

So in other words, there's something in your life that's making you unhappy, but if you spend more money, you'll feel better. Never change, KG.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

I wish you could make this the thread title.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Won't $1500 /month get you 3 bedrooms in a slightly less white part of town?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Won't $1500 /month get you 3 bedrooms in a slightly less white part of town?

I'm hispanic dude I'm diversifying these neighborhoods.

The answer is basically no - not with the pet requirements.

My wife and I are discussing the points brought up here.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 3, 2020

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hawkperson posted:

Between this and the "May and June had a lot of unexpected one time expenses, so we can't use those months as a basis for our budgeting" I'm pretty fuckin wary. When you don't have a budget, life is a series of unforeseen expenses.

Like for example, how much did your vaping stuff cost? How many months until you "pay off" your initial investment from the savings you get from making the change?

Gist of it is $350 for roughly 4-6mo of materials. I bought some stuff in bulk because shipping times can be awful and I don't want to fall back into cigarettes because I ran out.

More importantly with an estimated ongoing cost of $30-$40/mo on vaping compared to $120-$300/mo on smoking it should pay for itself in 1.5-3 months. Already cut $160 off since I'd normally buy a couple cartons right now.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sounds like you should move in 1.5 to 3 months then (and in the meantime, find another $100ish to cut just in case you underestimated the cost savings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

So in other words, there's something in your life that's making you unhappy, but if you spend more money, you'll feel better. Never change, KG.

I'm pretty sure you're the one who told me that spending on housing is actually a good place to spend, weren't you?

Also I'm not unhappy here I'm kind of irritated but that's about the extent of my feelings. It's not like that apt that had a burst pipe and stuff.