Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hawkperson posted:

Sounds like you should move in 1.5 to 3 months then (and in the meantime, find another $100ish to cut just in case you underestimated the cost savings)

What if the $299 special is gone? $2,000 in a deposit plus $3,000 extra in rent the first two months, plus $160/mo for no lease here makes it a much more expensive endeavor. Plus that means my son having to switch schools like a month into the year.

That's such a significant amount of money that I'd rather just not move.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're the one who told me that spending on housing is actually a good place to spend, weren't you?

Now you're being deliberately obtuse, on top of starting with your desired outcome and trying to twist reality to support it, rather than budgeting according to your means.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

What if the $299 special is gone? $2,000 in a deposit plus $3,000 extra in rent the first two months, plus $160/mo for no lease here makes it a much more expensive endeavor. Plus that means my son having to switch schools like a month into the year.

That's such a significant amount of money that I'd rather just not move.

What if it’s not gone, or gets even better? I don’t see the economy that’s cratering rental prices improving anytime soon. If the kiddo settling in is an issue, in my mind that’s an argument to aim for a summer 2021 move. Gives you a full year to settle into a budget that you can then adjust to meet opportunities like this head on.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hawkperson posted:

What if it’s not gone, or gets even better? I don’t see the economy that’s cratering rental prices improving anytime soon. If the kiddo settling in is an issue, in my mind that’s an argument to aim for a summer 2021 move. Gives you a full year to settle into a budget that you can then adjust to meet opportunities like this head on.

drat, alright this is what we'll do. Summer 2021 I'm busting out of this joint :derp: (probably)

For future reference we already were heavily leaning no after the initial input, but I thought that, like the RV, we may get advised to do it. Apples and pears comparison but you never know.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're the one who told me that spending on housing is actually a good place to spend, weren't you?

I don't see what you're point is with this comment? Being a good place to spend money isn't a justification for spending more money on it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rudager posted:

I don't see what you're point is with this comment? Being a good place to spend money isn't a justification for spending more money on it.

This is a throwback to a 5 year old convo when we moved into a really cheap apartment that ended up with a burst pipe in the concrete and flooded everything.

We heavily downsized our housing budget moving there and I was told that housing is a good place to spend money so you're not miserable. We're not miserable here, but it could be a lot more comfortable with another room.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

We're likely going to be moving at the end of this month.

After promotions to move here's how the first year looks:
$20,508 - new place
$18,000 - old place
---
$2,508 - difference
---
$209 - difference/mo

It's the same company that owns our current place so they can just transfer paperwork to the new place (we called and asked).

Current rent: $1505
New rent: $1800-$1909 (depending on view)

Deposit $299 and first 2 months rent $299. Probably a bit more for pet deposits.

It comes with 550 more sq/ft than we have now, an additional bedroom (for a dedicated office), and the best school district in the city.

3BR+ houses for rent would easily be about $900+/mo more than our current situation (I looked).

My wife's income was underbudgeted by about $200/mo so this actually shouldn't affect the budget categories much.

FYI when I moved last year I went from $1791/month to $955/month for rent/mortgage, in sunny south FL.

I finally listened to BFC. They were right.

I wish you and your family well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You very well could be able to afford a bigger place. Without a budget it's a total mystery.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Also I'm not unhappy here I'm kind of irritated but that's about the extent of my feelings. It's not like that apt that had a burst pipe and stuff.

I'm pretty sure I've only ever pointed out how your impulsive behavior & tendency toward extremes has made your situation worse at pretty much every turn. My saying "uprooting your pregnant wife and 6 pets to live in a slum was stupid" is not the same thing as saying "spend as much as you want on housing, you deserve it!" (PS - I don't care enough to go back and verify if your wife was actually pregnant at the time, or how many pets you tried to cram in there, so save your nitpicking. It doesn't matter to the argument at hand, but I know you'll use stuff like that to try to discredit whatever else I'm saying.)

Again, you're going with the kind of black & white thinking that leads to bad decisions - there's a lot of grey area in "how much space/how many extras do we need" and "how much should we be spending on housing". You're *very selectively* picking through our advice to come out with "Housing is the one area I should get a blank check."

And one more time because you still don't get it - if you're only mildly irritated, why the rush to move & spend more? It's because you have convinced yourself, yet again, that spending money on NEW SHINY THING will make you happy when you aren't.

April fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 3, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

You very well could be able to afford a bigger place. Without a budget it's a total mystery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KG found 200 bucks/mo and then immediately looked around for a way to spend it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG found 200 bucks/mo and then immediately looked around for a way to spend it.

Well I do really want a pontoon

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
OK I ran the numbers and it's too expensive to move AND save $800/mo for retirement AND put $1,000/mo extra towards the truck. That's the answer I needed.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Well I do really want a pontoon

Alternatively you could put away a little over a half a month's worth of this windfall in order to by one of these little numbers, which I helpfully suggest you apply to your scrotal sac.

Knyteguy posted:

OK I ran the numbers and it's too expensive to move AND save $800/mo for retirement AND put $1,000/mo extra towards the truck. That's the answer I needed.

If only these was some kind of way of setting up a planned structure for how you allocate and spend your money, which you then stick to rigorously.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah it's worth pointing out to you your consistent problems

1) it took you several days to figure out what BFC was telling you the instant you made your post, your budget doesn't support your increase in expenses. I'm assuming you had the apartment idea for at least a few weeks before you posted since any normal rational person would sit and think through that kind of thing. The fact that it only took you a day (of being yelled at) to actually look at your finances and realize it was unfeasible means that it was both super obvious AND you spent several weeks saying "what a great idea" without considering the financial aide. This kind of dumbassery is why people keep calling you out.

2) just a few weeks ago

Knyteguy posted:

And yeah my bad I wasn't trying to say WAAH I HAVE THE RESOURCES FOR A HOUSE YAAAH, I just want nice floors eventually, etc. You guys have let me/us know that we're not ready for a house yet, so we're probably going to focus a little more on making the apartment home instead of a very temporary segue before we buy a house.

tl;dr: We'll change up the budget after the input given.

"We're going to make this apartment a home"

2 weeks later "NEW APARTMENT GUYS!"

You are always chasing the next thing that'll "for sure this will make my life perfect." The instant you were convinced you're not buying a house anytime soon you clearly latched onto another semi life changing expensive thing as a replacement. If you had done even the barest consideration of the financial side this kind of thing isn't normally a red flag, but it's clear from your latest post that you didn't.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm hoping the "summer 2021 is move time" helps with flipping the perspective on big $$ decisions. Right now it seems like the attitude is "we don't have time to think this out, we need to take advantage of this deal NOW!" But instead it should be, "oh, I don't have enough financial information to make an informed decision right now, I had better get working on my budget so that the next time something like this comes around, I will be ready for it."

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
:therapy:

If you’re nearly impulse buying an apartment and with the rest of your pattern of “I bet this will fix my life let’s do it immediately” I think it would help before you make a mistake like zuarg that will cost your family a lot of grief down the line

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

threelemmings posted:

You are always chasing the next thing that'll "for sure this will make my life perfect."

Like many dumpster fire finances, this isn't primarily a financial issue and can not be solved with financial methods.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah and I know folks here have already made that point, I don't pretend I'm saying anything different. Just trying to prove the point with his own words given the whiplash of decision making and reversals going on

E: it's the reason I've never posted in the thread, or really followed up much in the other smaller ones we get. Folks problems are usually pretty obvious, and once the first wave of advice it comes down to "do they listen or not." The absurdity of his last post realizing on his own he couldn't afford moving was just something real special and I couldn't resist

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 4, 2020

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/d/sparks-22-ft-pontoon-boat/7153135448.html

Only $14k!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

You're unironically zaurgposting.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Breetai posted:

You're unironically zaurgposting.

Meh no one wants to read what I say or the budget when I post it; might as well.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Meh no one wants to read what I say or the budget when I post it; might as well.

A whole lot of people have given you very good advice in this thread, and if the fact that you are engaging them in bad faith and refusing to act on the advice they have given is causing them to express some frustration towards you, then I can't really blame them.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I feel like this is part of the cycle too. Get dunked on, feel bad about it, lash out a little, get dunked on more, spend $$ or disappear to let off steam (or both), come back in a worse spot. Get dunked for that, etc etc.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I feel like there's going to be hella more deals on boats and such in the not too distant future, assuming we haven't all ripped ourselves apart by then. So put it in the budget?

I thought you already quit smoking a long time ago :smith:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hawkperson posted:

I feel like this is part of the cycle too. Get dunked on, feel bad about it, lash out a little, get dunked on more, spend $$ or disappear to let off steam (or both), come back in a worse spot. Get dunked for that, etc etc.

Meh last time I left and came back I had the RV basically out from underwater. A break from the pattern if you will.

Breetai posted:

A whole lot of people have given you very good advice in this thread, and if the fact that you are engaging them in bad faith and refusing to act on the advice they have given is causing them to express some frustration towards you, then I can't really blame them.

And I've made a lot of decisions around the advice, haven't I? Originally we were going to stay in the RV - at the behest of the thread we moved into this apartment (in record drat time too). We were going to keep the RV - we sold it. I was pretty set on moving into the apartment and offsetting our goals a month or two in the next 12 months to make up for it (from debt paydown) - we haven't. Y'all were harping on me for retirement - we're maxing our IRA contributions moving forward as if it's a bill. And mind you if I didn't max out the IRA we could very, very easily afford $158/mo more and still throw another $550/mo towards the truck. That job that had a considerable raise? Didn't take it on the thread's advice.

I agree with all of the decisions, but don't act like I'm not taking the thread's input into account. I still think moving into that place would be a very good idea just for the space and yes all 3BR apartments in the city cost that much, and let's not get into houses. Our needs changed hugely with Coronavirus and the flipping back and forth is because they absolutely will not give us anything for renewing our lease, and it's already higher than a new lease would be including new appliances/countertops/laminate. We tried to get a unit with that stuff already in it when we moved in but they had nothing. But you know what? I'm probably not doing it because the thread thinks it's not a great idea and it would sacrifice our goals by a month or two, so I'm owning that decision.

I don't know what you people want. I made a budget and apparently I don't have a budget. Therapy? Did it, and you know what my psychologist thought the forums were basically full of poo poo and I tried more than one.

But yeah let's 'dunk' on the guy putting in work lol.

Debt when I started this thread about this time last year:
Truck - $45,341.66 @ 5.62%
RV - $19,394.64 @ 17.75% (ouch)
Student Loan 1 - $1,836.01 @ 6.55%
Student Loan 2 - $1,338.46 @ 3.15%
Credit Cards - ~$2,600 @ var%
---
Total: (minus student loans since I can't check em right this minute) $67336.30

Current debt:
Truck - $38,000 @ 5.62%
RV - $0
Credit Cards - $0
See above on student loans
---
$38,000

We've gotten rid of around $30,000 in debt since last June. And we still have a few windfalls coming like taxes. Where will that go? Towards debt. Do I want props? No I don't, but I'm tired of the bullshit with the thread.

And it's funny because looking back near the beginning of the thread April did dig on me for moving into that small apartment back in the day with 2 people and our pets, and our current apartment is the same size with an additional person and yes the same pets and everyone at home practically 24/7 lol. Now it's just a shiny thing because I want it.

e: typos

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 4, 2020

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Oh and I cut a bunch of wasteful subscriptions in the budget like some web hosting, our TV, and a few other things we weren't using a ton. Total should be about $120 in expenses cut per month.

nikosoft posted:

I feel like there's going to be hella more deals on boats and such in the not too distant future, assuming we haven't all ripped ourselves apart by then. So put it in the budget?

I thought you already quit smoking a long time ago :smith:

Addiction is a bitch but I don't drink anymore which is always where I picked it up again, and I took steps to make sure I don't end up out of supplies at a bad time this time around due to lovely fulfillment times and whatever.

e: and just to clarify I'm just joking about the boat. A pontoon would be cool but that's way, way off the radar right now. Probably forever I know boats are a pain in the rear end.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 4, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I agree with all of the decisions, but don't act like I'm not taking the thread's input into account.

quote:

We're likely going to be moving at the end of this month.

BFC tends to wellpiss more readily than I think is always fair, but part of the problem is your wording. You're not asking for advice, you're just mentioning it as a thing that's happening so people feel the need to more forcefully tell you it's dumb so you'll reverse course.

Also real question why is your gasoline budget $200 when you both work from home?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

BFC tends to wellpiss more readily than I think is always fair, but part of the problem is your wording. You're not asking for advice, you're just mentioning it as a thing that's happening so people feel the need to more forcefully tell you it's dumb so you'll reverse course.

Also real question why is your gasoline budget $200 when you both work from home?

When we moved into this place last year it was because it was literally our only option; I genuinely believe we called every apartment complex in town. So it's not like we chose our dream home we just wanted something. Now we have an option that fits us a lot better and it's very hard to say no. I don't want the thread's approval on everything, but I also do ya know? I'm a people pleaser.

re: the fuel expense - I always budget expenses liberally (minus discretionary) and income conservatively, which is why I very intentionally left out $200 in income case my wife has a sick day or two without PTO or something being hourly. Frankly I absolutely know that we don't spend $200-$300/mo on medical, I already checked, and I think we may even hit our out of pocket limits on that. But this year my wife has to get a root canal unexpectedly and just a bunch of dentistry poo poo came up, and I had to go to the ER, etc. I'm basically accounting for that as if it's going to happen every couple of months.

Also we have had a couple months where fuel was that much last yearish, and mind you that was living in burbs instead of in the city, so I decided it was a safe thing to do. Plus I know we generally drive more in the summer as most people do, so I'm trying to keep it safe. Lord knows the last thing I need is a bunch of people jumping down my throat because I went over on a category.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Knyteguy posted:

I don't know what you people want. I made a budget and apparently I don't have a budget. .

People just want you to USE the budget. It's clear you're not because you posted this

KG posted:

AFTER you announced you guys were moving apartments.

It's your own fault, if you had just checked your budget first nobody would have known and we'd had have nothing to yell about. Does any of this make sense? Your rapid about face after running the numbers tells the whole thread you never actually looked at your financial situation before you made that decision to move. This is the core of the howling abyss that is your thread.

The only difference between you and zaurg is you stopped and ran the numbers after some prodding. I give you full credit there for being willing to check and admitting you made a mistake.(kind of, you really said "oh I guess we can't move lol" then "why are you yelling at me now") But people are mad you're still making the same easily prevented impulse buys.

Im trying to make the connection as clear as possible directly between your posts. No assumptions, no saying "you ignored advice," your own posts show that you yourself know you are making bad financial decisions. The instant you checked your numbers you knew it was bad!

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 4, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

threelemmings posted:

People just want you to USE the budget. It's clear you're not because you posted this

AFTER you announced you guys were moving apartments.

It's your own fault, if you had just checked your budget first nobody would have known and we'd had have nothing to yell about. Does any of this make sense? Your rapid about face after running the numbers tells the whole thread you never actually looked at your financial situation before you made that decision to move. This is the core of the howling abyss that is your thread.

The only difference between you and zaurg is you stopped and ran the numbers after some prodding. I give you full credit there for being willing to check and admitting you made a mistake.(kind of, you really said "oh I guess we can't move lol" then "why are you yelling at me now") But people are mad you're still making the same easily prevented impulse buys.

Im trying to make the connection as clear as possible directly between your posts. No assumptions, no saying "you ignored advice," your own posts show that you yourself know you are making bad financial decisions. The instant you checked your numbers you knew it was bad!

This.

Making a list of numbers is not a budget. It needs to be something that informs and guides your spending decisions. "I'd like to move the family to a nicer apartment. Hmm, I've only got $1000/mo in the budget for rent, and the new place will be $1200/month. I'll increase my rent category to $1200, putting the extra $200/month to save up for a down payment, and once it's enough to get a good rate I'll see if it's still available. If not, I'll look for another place. "

If you want the thread to work with and encourage you, that's the thought process you should be following. "Hey guys, I'd like to move to a nicer place. Here's my spending plan. Am I using the budget properly? Do you see any other ways that we could do it better/faster?"

You need to have a goal, and you need to have a plan that lets you execute that goal. You don't just decide "I want this", tell yourself "if I just do [that] it'll solve my problems and make things better," spend a bunch of money without thinking, and then try to fix your list of numbers.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well part of that is me trying to learn Pocketsmith. I just don't understand the drat software. I put auto paydown into a category and it somehow acts like because the payment is technically income towards the truck, that we're actually not spending that money. It's a loan - obviously that's not available anymore to budget. I did it step-by-step according to their guide and the money was still there leftover.

So what I did was redo the budget into YNAB since I'm super comfortable with it:

This is a liberal expenses, accurate income budget:

This would be a good estimate of what expenses would actually be, accurate income with a bit of cutting discretionary:

These are not just lists of numbers - they're based on my experience and goal setting. And mind you this is taking kyoon's input to budget for student loans even though they're deferred until the end of the year.

Goals (and these have been pretty steady):
* Fully funded IRAs for my wife and myself. The $800/mo with 3 paycheck months going towards it just about hits that.
* I want the truck gone in 12 months so we can get the gently caress out of debt and start having more of our income available. To get it out from underwater we need anywhere from $10k-$15k apparently. Trucks are a bitch w/ depreciation apparently do never buy.

Using the second plan which is a good estimate of expenses, we can have the truck well out from underwater and have enough for a car in cash to replace it by March next year if we stick to that plan, and we have $260 leftover/mo, so that's well within our goals:

With that said, "Hey guys, I'd like to move to a nicer place. Here's my spending plan. Am I using the budget properly? Do you see any other ways that we could do it better/faster?"

If the budget looks good, then I'll move it to July and get things rolling. We haven't spent much this month so we're well within limits; many of those pocketsmith expenses were from June but it listed them as July expenses for some reason.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also stop talking about dream homes. You won’t be in your dream home for years

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Knyteguy posted:

Well part of that is me trying to learn Pocketsmith. I just don't understand the drat software. I put auto paydown into a category and it somehow acts like because the payment is technically income towards the truck, that we're actually not spending that money. It's a loan - obviously that's not available anymore to budget. I did it step-by-step according to their guide and the money was still there leftover.

If you have PocketSmith questions, post in the PocketSmith thread, which I monitor from time to time:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913229&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It sounds like to me that you haven't got something configured in a way that makes sense with what you're trying to achieve.

Knyteguy posted:

So what I did was redo the budget into YNAB since I'm super comfortable with it:

This is a liberal expenses, accurate income budget:

This would be a good estimate of what expenses would actually be, accurate income with a bit of cutting discretionary:

These are not just lists of numbers - they're based on my experience and goal setting. And mind you this is taking kyoon's input to budget for student loans even though they're deferred until the end of the year.

Goals (and these have been pretty steady):
* Fully funded IRAs for my wife and myself. The $800/mo with 3 paycheck months going towards it just about hits that.
* I want the truck gone in 12 months so we can get the gently caress out of debt and start having more of our income available. To get it out from underwater we need anywhere from $10k-$15k apparently. Trucks are a bitch w/ depreciation apparently do never buy.

Using the second plan which is a good estimate of expenses, we can have the truck well out from underwater and have enough for a car in cash to replace it by March next year if we stick to that plan, and we have $260 leftover/mo, so that's well within our goals:

With that said, "Hey guys, I'd like to move to a nicer place. Here's my spending plan. Am I using the budget properly? Do you see any other ways that we could do it better/faster?"

If the budget looks good, then I'll move it to July and get things rolling. We haven't spent much this month so we're well within limits; many of those pocketsmith expenses were from June but it listed them as July expenses for some reason.

You are putting the cart before the horse here. Don't start thinking about moving until you've got a solid 3 months of sticking to your budget and reflexively checking it any time you want to spend money on anything.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
lol it’s like reading my thread again

good luck with pocketsmith lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

zaurg posted:

lol it’s like reading my thread again

good luck with pocketsmith lol

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up, Zerg?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

tater_salad posted:

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up, Zerg?

He has a lot of time on the 4th not with his kids obviously.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
What should we do with our lease, then? It's still unsigned. We can do 6 months or 12 months. Rent goes up significantly ($160/mo) without a lease.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

What should we do with our lease, then? It's still unsigned. We can do 6 months or 12 months. Rent goes up significantly ($160/mo) without a lease.

Mentally let go the thought of moving to a more expensive place for a year and this will be a really easy decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Why would you sign the 6 month lease, I thought moving kiddo mid-school year was a no go