Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man there's nothing quite like being $80,000 in debt and choosing to roam the country in an RV

it's a real rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Nah that's true but not as bad as it sounds. I work remotely, and we've been traveling and seeing the country RVing for the past year and a half with our kid, hence the RV and truck. During that time we hit up 25 states, got some hella good Nashville hot chicken, had some Santa Fe chile dishes, watched a Detroit Lion's game in Detroit, got some Texas barbecue, camped on gulf beaches, camped on lawns, went to Monterey Bay Aquarium, l saw an rear end-ton of national and state parks, saw a manatee take a poop in the gulf, and went deep sea fishing next to some dolphins in Florida. Pretty cool!

this is a vacation for people with money. even ignoring all the events you went to, how much do you think you spent on gas RVing around the country for a year and a half let alone food

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i made that for zuarg and forgot to replace the horse but im keeping it as a reminder to the path you're on

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i know people in san francisco that make six figures and have to share a one bedroom apartment with three people

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

quote:

Hell even better we could live in a camping trailer my mom has behind her house for maybe $100/mo.

Does she still have that trailer? Are there two trailers at her house?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

zaurg posted:

This is actually a good idea. Thanks. zaurg will remain confined to 3 threads in all of SA (BFC thread, Running thread, and TFLC thread). If I venture out anywhere else, ban me.

ban him

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ban

zaurg posted:

This is actually a good idea. Thanks. zaurg will remain confined to 3 threads in all of SA (BFC thread, Running thread, and TFLC thread). If I venture out anywhere else, ban me.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
lmao so that RV trip across the US wasn't made with a buffer in mind and you straight up ran out of money?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It’s definitely another road trip

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh that's fun there's a notice when multiple people report a message, i never noticed that before

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

I think the only reason to buy a home is for lifestyle reasons.

cool you answered your own question

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it took you like five years to sell a truck you weren't even using, if you own a house what makes you think you'll be able to keep up with repairs in a timely manner

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
getting on medication that stops the feelings that lead to the behavior is great but you've still got the habit of the behavior itself because you've done it for like a decade, and the medication won't fix that. you have to actually be mindful of it and take care of it yourself, and you're not doing that right now. it'll take a while.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
please explain the benefit of buying a house in the scenario you've described because so far your reasoning seems to be "idk lol id like to own a house" and there's really no reason to own over rent, especially if your time frame is "idk at least three years"

i havent followed you since you started posting here so im sure people are seeing patterns im not but even i can see that you generally go "hey this would be cool for Z reason" and then ignore reasons A-Y about why its a terrible idea and i suspect this is another situation like that

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
lmao

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hey KG how much do you think it’ll cost to turn your house into smart house from the movie smart house

How far do you think 40k will go in a home renovation

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i didn't buy a house because i have no problem renting, i don't have concrete enough long term plans that would make me feel comfortable with that purchase, i don't have the money to buy a house and i recognize that, and i'm actively trying to not go into debt

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
When you buy the house that you’re going to buy because we all know you’ve already made your mind up about it, make sure you have an insurance policy in effect before you start your “home improvements” that way when you burn your house down you won’t lose all the money

Honestly it’s a shame you don’t have the RV anymore, it’s a great back up home

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
He’s waiting to turn it into a hover car, give him some time

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
come on guys i think if he can recover from taking a year long road trip across the US in an rv that he didnt have the money to do or have a plan in place for it and ran out of money halfway through it and couldnt sell the rv for two eyars and never fully recovered from that sale AND still talk about his dreams, he deserves to buy elon musk's house just give the guy a break

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
401k is a windfall

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What forum drama

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Well that’s not great

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So you know that extra 200 exists but you have no idea what it was spent on

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
:therapy:

If you’re nearly impulse buying an apartment and with the rest of your pattern of “I bet this will fix my life let’s do it immediately” I think it would help before you make a mistake like zuarg that will cost your family a lot of grief down the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also stop talking about dream homes. You won’t be in your dream home for years