Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I choose to believe he turned his life around and doesn’t need us anymore :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hey KG I know it's hard to internalize stuff that doesn't line up with your own feelings, but seriously dude from the outside this cycle of

find big thing that will make it all "better"

find reasons to justify this step making it all "better"

push back against voices saying this will not make it all "better"

go disappear and do the thing that will make it all "better"

come back and tell everyone "it did make it all better and was completely worth it, but now I'm ready to hunker down and work hard"

later admit "my anxiety didn't let me even enjoy the thing that was supposed to make it all better"

but "this new thing WILL make it all better, because things are different this time"

is pretty clear. I'm rooting for you bud, but this ain't it.

And honestly, I think these threads are part of it too. I think it helps you get into an underdog-type position in your thinking. If people are against you, you're driven to prove them wrong. Idk though, that's just spitballing. It just lines up with the cycle you're in.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

getting on medication that stops the feelings that lead to the behavior is great but you've still got the habit of the behavior itself because you've done it for like a decade, and the medication won't fix that. you have to actually be mindful of it and take care of it yourself, and you're not doing that right now. it'll take a while.

Yeah. I agree. It IS a good thing that the medication is helping. It totally sucks that anxiety got in the way of enjoying the RV time because hell, if you're going to do something huge like that, you should at least be able to enjoy it. The cycle getting better each time doesn't make it not a cycle though.

edit: I'd be super bummed for KG if his thread in 2025 includes "I felt less anxiety about the house than I did about the RV, but I still didn't get to enjoy it"

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The rug thing is a Big Lebowski reference, I thought that was required viewing for goons

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Idk what you want bud, because I get that you don’t want armchair shrinks but then when someone does go into the financial stuff you’re like “finally! Thank you. The answer to your questions is I don’t know.”

You’re gonna get more of what you pay attention to in your thread so if you wanna have snipy arguments with people then peeps are gonna come to your thread for the snipy arguments. Take a break and figure out some answers to those financial questions and then come back. There’s nothing to talk about right now except armchair psychology.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think before whining about the slush I'd like to see where it's at for June. It's the 17th after all, how does the spending look?

Is that your monthly payment on the truck?? Holy poo poo

edit: I see it's a rough draft for July. But I think it would be super useful for you to see how your spending falls out this month according to that split. I'm honestly wondering if $1400 is enough for all the stuff you have in slush.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I don't have a years worth of expenses. I don't want to budget medical and have it go over due to something unexpected (I went to the ER for the first time in years last month, for example) and have everyone jump down my throat. Medical high this month? Ok no eating out and we have to shop at the budget grocery store for absolutely everything. That works for me.

That's how YNAB is supposed to work, you're supposed to move money around to adapt to your changing circumstances, just don't spend beyond what you have dollars for. I feel like you can get what you want better (and use YNAB's category tracking stuff more effectively) by making "Everyday Expenses" say "Slush - $1400 max" and then marking out medical, food, fuel, discretionary with a rough estimate. Then throughout the month move money around within the Slush divider as necessary. Few months and you'll prob get a feel for what you actually tend to spend.

Personally I have my food stuff split into groceries, eating out, and beverages, because I spend a stupid amount of money on beer, coffee, and tea and am trying to get a handle on it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Between this and the "May and June had a lot of unexpected one time expenses, so we can't use those months as a basis for our budgeting" I'm pretty fuckin wary. When you don't have a budget, life is a series of unforeseen expenses.

Like for example, how much did your vaping stuff cost? How many months until you "pay off" your initial investment from the savings you get from making the change?

Knyteguy posted:

As far as some change - some of the deficit can come from me quitting smoking today (switching to vaping, got the stuff last week). That'll cut $80-$180/mo.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sounds like you should move in 1.5 to 3 months then (and in the meantime, find another $100ish to cut just in case you underestimated the cost savings)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

What if the $299 special is gone? $2,000 in a deposit plus $3,000 extra in rent the first two months, plus $160/mo for no lease here makes it a much more expensive endeavor. Plus that means my son having to switch schools like a month into the year.

That's such a significant amount of money that I'd rather just not move.

What if it’s not gone, or gets even better? I don’t see the economy that’s cratering rental prices improving anytime soon. If the kiddo settling in is an issue, in my mind that’s an argument to aim for a summer 2021 move. Gives you a full year to settle into a budget that you can then adjust to meet opportunities like this head on.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm hoping the "summer 2021 is move time" helps with flipping the perspective on big $$ decisions. Right now it seems like the attitude is "we don't have time to think this out, we need to take advantage of this deal NOW!" But instead it should be, "oh, I don't have enough financial information to make an informed decision right now, I had better get working on my budget so that the next time something like this comes around, I will be ready for it."

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I feel like this is part of the cycle too. Get dunked on, feel bad about it, lash out a little, get dunked on more, spend $$ or disappear to let off steam (or both), come back in a worse spot. Get dunked for that, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Why would you sign the 6 month lease, I thought moving kiddo mid-school year was a no go