Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Oh come on April isn't this what's called Concern Trolling? If people wanted to help they'd at least read the thread. There have been questions that would be answered just by reading the relatively short OP.

Or is posting a lame cousin Eddie joke really helping now?

You seem to only want help that doesn't involve making any changes, evaluating any of your past decisions, or being accountable in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I need to take care of the drat debt. I want practical advice, I don't need some armchair analyzing goober telling me I'm bipolar for years and the internet making decisions for me.

I think the exact thing you need is someone to make decisions for you, because the ones you make are quite frankly ridiculous. I am honestly not even sure what to type first because your situation is so screwed up but here are things I would be doing in your shoes.

1. Get away from your moms house. You say a bunch of times that your family life is crazy and you living in their yard with 4 people in an RV and your sister and mother and god knows who else is some Jerry Springer poo poo. You say that both you and your wife have mental health issues and being around your crazy family can't possibly be a good thing for any of you.

2. Figure out a way to replace the truck and RV with a used minivan and apartment. You haven't provided details as far as I know about your truck equity (lol) and I don't know if you can even sell a well used RV at all, but maybe you can get ditch it before burning man like you said which is in 2 months for something close to a decent price.

3. Look for a new job. You may want to do this before finding an apartment, but it would also be fine to look after you get settled locally since your city is so small. You seem to still be underpaid, especially considering how much the job market has changed over the last 5 years.

4. As far as money, stop buying anything and pay off the credit card and then the RV. This is obvious from the rates but also paying off the RV allows you to get rid of it whenever you want and rejoin the rest of regularly-bathing society ASAP.

5. Stop smoking. Fix your phone bill. Seriously WTF is even happening there.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

They own six figures worth of trucks, listen to Dave Ramsay, and live in a trailer on their parent's property with 4 people and like 5 dogs. I'm guessing the reason they won't just move to San Francisco and double their income is "cultural"

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Are you under the impression that your RV was cheaper than an apartment would have been over the last few years? Here I made a list of expenses for each side you could use to evaluate that theory.

APARTMENT
Rent * number of months

RV
Value paid for RV - sell value now
Finance costs for RV
Registration/insurance costs for RV
Additional cost to buy truck to tow RV vs honda civic/minivan. Gas, registration, insurance, maintenance, finance, sticker
Opportunity cost of not being able to find a better job
Vehicle gas cost to tow RV
Campground fees
Non-monetary quality of life impact (4 people 4 dogs in one small camper)
Additional food costs for not being able to buy in bulk and store food and cook in large kitchen
Additional energy costs of having RV utilities vs electric/gas in a home

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah and a guy with $4,000/mo in debt but makes $10,000/mo in income can't get approved for a house when a guy with $100/mo in debt but makes $1,000/mo can. The guy with $4,000 in debt still has $6,000 every month and the guy with $100/mo in debt has $900/mo, but sure the guy with $4,000/mo in debt is definitely worse off.

I'm living in my mom's backyard by choice, and yeah we are doing great. I'll wager you've never been really, truly, poor.

Replies like this are really common in these threads when someone tries to force the OP to analyze their history of bad decisions. For example, zuarg always goes back to the fact that he makes more money now than he did 10 years ago and got through a divorce. For you I guess it's that you have a middle class income despite growing up poor, and you survived a surprise medical issue on top of unemployment.

If you know what it's like to be "really, truly poor" then why are you falling so far behind on ~1.5x the median US household income?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I'm honestly so lost on this loving apartment. Half of BFC is saying yes you're being too risky otherwise, the other half is saying you're an impulsive idiot what are you doing. That tells me neither choice is definitely incorrect.

I think you should get an apartment as well but I will attempt to explain the things you are not understanding because I'm an idiot who thinks people change after they are 30.

Your biggest problem is that you make stupid decisions. You seem very defensive when people point this out and ask you to evaluate your past decisions. But, no matter how many zuarg-like spreadsheets and budgets you make, you are never going to succeed if you don't fix your broken decision making. Many of your bad decisions involve impulsively spending large amounts of money without really taking the time to think it through, and I believe just one person linked you getting an apartment to that same kind of hasty, possibly not well thought out decision making process.

For example, you haven't looked for a new job or posted a resume, but you rushed right out to spend money on an apartment It's like part of your gambling and addiction problem, the actual spending of money makes you feel good so you take advantage of anything you can use as an excuse to do it. It's impossible for us to know just how much reasoned thought you and your family gave the idea, it just seemed to happen really fast.

Another person pointed out that you should look for a job because you might want to not live in Reno. That's a fair point you might want to consider, have you talked about that as a couple? That seems like a conversation that should happen before you sign a new lease. You implied that you would be open to moving across the country and getting a second apartment, but that seems like another one of your dumb plans that is completely avoidable by doing things better right now. Either commit to living in Reno for a year and start planning the next 12 months and a possible move next summer, or don't take the apartment and immediately start a nationwide job search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I'll vote for a new fancy TV and a stupidly expensive surround sound system, for the new apartment