Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It's killing me to say this, but I think you need to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer (and professional financial adviser if you can find a good one, I have never had to look so I have no idea)

You're 70 grand in the hole and I don't think you have wrapped your head around that, really and truthfully.

Use the savings you have to buy a cheap car and get setup in an apartment, get settled into your jobs, then declare BK would be my honest opinion.

I don't think this makes sense. They won't qualify for Chapter 7 and the vehicles have value, so they'd basically just be paying back their vehicle deficiencies under a bankruptcy plan.

They don't need a financial advisor. Deciding not to buy an RV with an 18% loan so that you can maybe "save money on rent" by living illegally in the backyard of your mom who has called the cops to evict you before is not a complex financial decision.

When I type that out I'm not sure if I am responding to a troll. I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

look man nobody is gonna believe that you aren't after the easy, low effort way out, because no normal person's reaction to getting a good deal on a couch is going to be "i could flip this bitch for $"

i also feel like at some level the quitting nicotine is a Look How Serious I Am And How Much I Am Willing To Sacrifice performative thing because you're spending what, a hundred bucks a month? it ain't gonna make a huge difference in the long run. it is a good idea for sure but setting yourself up for low probability of success to Prove How Serious I Am is not smart

I have to admit that "I could flip this couch" is the sort of thought that would cross my mind, but I just don't follow up on it. The rest of my brain would go, "remember how you had a plan sort of like this once and it didn't work out? and also you need a couch!" and I would move on to annoyingly telling people what a good deal I got instead.

Knyteguy seems to have... I don't know, a very positive bias when it comes to assessing whether a fun idea might pan out. It might just be a defensive thing, framing things more positively in his posts than in his thoughts. But I am not very smart and still manage to avoid harebrained schemes because I can't shut off my awareness of all the things that might go wrong with them. Buying that truck and RV would not have made me happy because I would have thought about the loans all the time. The only way I can rationalize KG's decisions is to think that he just shuts that stuff out.

Maybe not, maybe I am just a more functional version of weird.

On another note, I totally agree with your comments about quitting nicotine.