Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I never thought I’d see the type of person who chooses to swap their grey nomad period of life with their dynamic late 20s-30s but here we are.

KG you gone done hosed up in a big way and it’s time to pay the piper. Strongly restrict your spending, shovel money into the loans from highest to lowest, and think up some way to extract yourself out of your illegal living situation. The last part matters because it’s a risk which would normally not be too bad but for you would be ruinous because you literally can’t afford the alternatives. Living in your parents’ spare room as a 30 year old with a wife, kid, two cats and two dogs is not the answer holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

It's a really difficult choice to continue staying in the RV, don't get me wrong. But we have a strong safety net; we'll be ok.
No you loving don't. You have the option of a single bedroom in a family house for 2 adults, a baby and 4 pets. That's not a safety net, that's an option of last resort. You have an illegal living situation that could be yanked out from under you at any moment .You have literally $500 in savings on $100k of income.

Here's a list of how long those savings would support individual subcategories of your ideal budget:
  • Variable expenses: 15 days
  • Fixed expenses: 1 month
  • Debt repayment: 3 loving days
  • loving fun money: 55 days, but this is a loving joke because you're spending at least double that amount each month in practice.
  • Savings: 5 months
I included the last dot point to ram home an important point: If you were to blow your already insignificant savings, you'd take five goddamned months to rebuild it back. You spend 5 months of savings in three days of debt repayment.

You do not have a strong safety net. You are well over your head in deep poo poo and by a combination of miracles just happen to have a straw through which to still breathe. You have a frayed safety thread, not a safety net.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I don’t know man the recession hosed me up. I’m anxious about job security because I couldn’t find a job for 2 years. I’m nervous to walk away from something that has been feeding my family for 6 years.

If you were risk-averse you'd consider not taking on a risky high-interest loan. It comes across that you're actually just comfortable in this job and afraid of being pushed out of a comfort zone. I'd stipulate that it's why you so often try to spend your way out of debt - you're really spending because it comforts you that you're making an action that, in your mind, will solve the problem without actually doing the hard work.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

California's income tax rate for a 100k job is 9.3%. If we ignored marginal tax rates, you get to keep 90.7k of your 100k job after California takes its cut.

Is 90.7 higher than 65?

Is your stupid excuse for staying in Reno predicated on your inability or unwillingness to do a trivial amount of math?

Is your stupid excude for <current undesirable financial predicament> predicated on your inability or unwilling ness to do a trivial amont of math?

To be fair, living expenses in California are famously high, and although I'm not from the States I can expect Reno to be a bit cheaper.
But like you say, it's all an unwillingness to face challenges.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Look, the apartment may not the 100% optimal financial option in the circumstances, but you’re not in your position because you don’t have enough money and need to penny pinch on every single factor. You’re in your position because like the kindergarten kids that Arnie taught, you lack discipline.

Getting the apartment may cost a bit more, but maybe that’s not bad if it forces you to exhibit more financial discipline and teaches those healthy habits. The alternative of remaining in the RV somewhat masks you having to learn that.

That’s my take. There’s arguments for each option and I could side with either pretty comfortably. But I think you need to consider the underlying attitudes you’re trying to (un)learn as much as the actual financial situation.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

750/mo now, must have perfect rental history (we don't). poo poo's out of control. Legit I would if I could n8r. It was our very first option.
You don’t have perfect rental history on a caravan park?!?!?!?

How the gently caress do you damage a literal block of dirt with a power point and some hose plugs?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I had to pay $80 on a rental because I sat at the kitchen table with my PC (goon nerd alert) for 6 months and the table rubbed against the wall and rubbed away the paint. That was the cost of getting that area repainted.

I get causing damage to a property that compromises the bond. But wtf for an RV hookup

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

I learned this too, via my couch frame with a wood floor. Pro tip - don’t let furniture touch the wall ever. But that $80 damage won’t go on your rental history or anything like that.

Yeh it wasn’t bad. I paid the $80 out of pocket and then got my whole bond back (the system here is a little different). It was all for naught, given I never rented before or since and don’t expect a record to stick around for 10+ years, but I didn’t know that would be the case at the time.

In any case, I’m still baffled as to how you get a rental record on RV hookups. poo poo on the hookup? Dig a moat in the dirt around your caravan?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Sorry KG, with Zaurg gone now you're going to have to cock something up spectacularly to keep us all entertained.

It's your solemn responsibility. Go buy an investment horseboat.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It’s almost like we can learn from Zaurg’s brain-dead stupidity here, wherein a budget and reconciliation of expenses are discrete tools with differing purposes. Make a budget with items consolidated into a single category but then have your reconciliation of expenses show them as discrete items within said category.

That way, spending more on vape draws down your budget for other discretionary and encourages you to prioritise where you blow your fun money, but at the end of the day you’re still faced with seeing how much of your money was spent specifically proving you’re the sort of nerd that wears a fedora.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Bump, still waiting KG

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

zaurg posted:

Agreed. How can that gently caress just abandon us? Nearing 5 months with no posts? I hope for our sake he is dead.

gently caress off, cockholster. You’re banned from all other threads. They’re for people who aren’t irredeemably poo poo.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

What has actually changed since you last posted? Not general hand-wavey stuff, specifics please.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

RV Debt Update
Good poo poo, and I agree with you that shifting it and moving on is better than neurotically optimisnig the deal you can get if it's good enough already.

quote:

The 2.5% 100% match 401k (wife's income) is the retirement savings right now

quote:

We haven't been following a budget
Not good enough. The former is driven by the latter and needs fixing. You're not getting any younger and each moment you waste costs you more ground you need to catch up later. Get on top of it now, especially since you're home and not doing anything. You will not ever have as much spare time as now to fix this, so make use of it.

I look forward to reviewing the budget, let's make use of the stay at home time to really get your ducks in a row so that when you're both back to commuting, working, etc. you don't have to struggle to find the time to do the effort stuff then.

zaurg posted:

Get your head out of your rear end, Knyteguy.
gently caress off back to the sewer we flushed you down.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I'm sorry you have no DIY skills when I do?
Tacks isn't wrong. Kyoon was right - you always overestimate your skills (or your drive to do anything) and underestimate costs.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

There's been too many life changes recently, including COVID, my wife started working from home (likely for good), my son is about to start Kindergarten, etc to trust my historical data too much. Most of the budgeted numbers are averaged to the past few months, but even then we shouldn't need the home office supplies we already have now for a long awhile, etc.

These are all excuses. You can still get an 80% picture and make reasonable assumptions for the rest.

Knyteguy posted:

Okie doke, here's the (final draft) budget moving forward:

I know everyone is going to get grouchy as gently caress about the slush fund, but that's the only way I see us actually getting a budget that works for us; I'm just not a great planner. I accept that and will move forward despite it. That includes all food, medical, fuel, and discretionary activities.

I know you've fixed it, but this attitude is so wrong it's staggering. Your slush fund - your discretionary spending - is precisely where a budget can alter your behaviour. Your fixed utility costs, etc. are far harder to change because they're - duhh - fixed. Without budgeting your discretionary money, you're not really budgeting (i.e. you're doing a Zaurg, as sheri pointed out).

Just to reiterate to the void:

Discretionary budgets can change and be fluid, but if you spend over one another must immediately change to account for it. For example, you can budget $50 for eating out in a month, then at day 12 make the decision to take $30 from that and put it into buying a new boardgame or whatever. That's fine, but it has to balance overall so that $30 immediately comes out and reduces the eating out to $20.

By not tracking it below 'slush' level of granularity, you don't force yourself to make the conscious decision of whether you really want to commit the money to the purchase, because all you see is a big bucket of money that isn't spent and so don't value each dollar in it as highly. In that case, you'd instead buy the boardgame, but still see a pool of leftover money and think 'oh well I can afford to spend $50 to eat out', and you just push the discretionary shortfall around until the end of the month when suddenly you're out of money but you promised to go to the bar with that old mate from school and welp now you've blown your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

zaurg posted:

We can't go to bars any more, Nam Taf. Duh. What a knucklehead.

Shut the gently caress up, you smoothbrained mouthbreather.

I don't live in a shithole full of and run by people of your intellectual incapacity, so I can actually attend bars again already. The example therefore holds.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 26, 2020