Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think one question most people would ask off the bat is, do either of your employers offer a 401(k) plan with matching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He already owns the RV. Well not really owns, but you know.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

KG thread 2019: in debt for the rest of my life, but I once got to eat Nashville hot chicken

I’m most likely missing something in this thread but if dude actually has 5000/mo to put to debt payment it seems like it’d be not horrifically hard to get out of debt in about two years. Still kind of hosed for a 35 year old with a family but out of debt.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What’s up with that debt pay down line? It seems to say that 2595 - 751 = 2509

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Knyteguy posted:

Ok so how about this plan, based on feedback.

One effort post from me. If you guys honestly, no bullshit, have $5000/mo to put towards your debt, this is what I would do:

1) pay off the credit cards this Friday as planned.
2) Have Mrs. Owl put 3% of her gross into her 401(k) to get the matching. If I remember the numbers correctly, this should be about $85/mo.
3) Order of these two doesn’t matter a whole lot if you have many thousands per month to use:
- a) Get the RV out from underwater.
- b) Save enough to move into a rental property.
4) As soon as those two are done, move. As a side benefit this should let you stop the rental storage.
5) Sell the RV. You may not like it, and it doesn’t maximize your debt repayment speed, but get rid of it. Close that chapter. Move forward.
6) Focus every effort into getting into a position to sell the truck and getting a reliable used car.

Do that and before Christmas 2020 you can have your family be in an actual home, have a decent but reliable unflashy car, be out of debt, and have a few thousand in a 401(k).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

April posted:

The old thread really is the gift that keeps on giving....
Not sure I’d call it a gift. I started reading it and actually went :stare: at this sarcastic post on page 28:

quote:

Plus we could probably save around $400/mo if we get rid of everything we own and move into a motel for $400/mo. Hell even better we could live in a camping trailer my mom has behind her house for maybe $100/mo. That's sustainable.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Even with $1500 rent added on, if their claims are true they still have about $42,000/yr to put toward paying off debt. More income doesn’t seem like priority one to me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Always go Vanguard.

I don't know if you guys count places like Walgreens as a mini-mart, but holy poo poo those places are a ripoff. $4 gatorade, no thanks.
You can get awesome deals on cashews and trail mix, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Out of curiosity, what do you expect property taxes to be in Reno (or the county) for a house with a $400,000 replacement value?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah forget the XX% income crap at first and use dollars (inflation adjusted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t know anything about used truck value, but I don’t think there’s much “possibly” to it. He said in July he still owed $38,000 on a six year old (?) truck.