Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Knyteguy posted:

Got it, and agreed.

So I asked it in my nevermind post, but we found a new $3,300 couch for $80 at Salvation Army. Nearly perfect, brand new, still has a store tag plastic piece on the arm. Tiniest scuff at the top or a floor model is my guess for the donation reason. Doesn't look or feel like it's ever been sat on. Should we consider selling/"flipping" this? I feel like I'm going to be a freak about keeping it nice so it's tempting for that reason also: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/barrett-queen-sleeper/s657256?oc=1,263 . Used market seems to be around $600, but those are actually used not 'used'. Not sure what we'll do but thought I'd get some input.

It bothers me that you’re still getting distracted by ‘clever’ schemes and ‘one weird tricks’. You’ve not even moved out of your trailer and already you’re tempted by some crazy idea of buying a sofa and storing it in an apartment you don’t yet have in the hope of selling not on a few weeks down the line? Never mind the question of how you’re planning to keep it pristine in a house with a toddler and five animals? Why do you keep seeking out things like this? Can you really not do something as simple as searching for second hand furniture without being distracted by yet another crazy scheme? Have you not twigged that this is exactly the kind of impulsive behaviour that got you into the mess you’re in in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Knyteguy posted:

Which is what? There's a lot of assumptions in his post.

I'll break down the points. No I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat.

So I don't feel that it fits my thought process at all. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

Defensive much? Yes, you were thinking of this as a stupid get rich quick scheme, I know this because (1) you have a shitload of history of doing exactly this (remember the title of your last thread?) and (2) you said so on this very page FFS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU:

Knyteguy posted:

So I asked it in my nevermind post, but we found a new $3,300 couch for $80 at Salvation Army. [...] Should we consider selling/"flipping" this? I feel like I'm going to be a freak...

Knyteguy posted:

We bought a lot of stuff not just a couch. What's distracting about a quick sanity check? No harm no foul. I'm not asking about every piece we bought here.

You want to know where’s the harm? Your original (deleted) post was on the 7th, you came back and posted the one I quoted above 36 hours later. You’ve spent at least a day and a half thinking about some stupid couch flipping scheme - researching prices, looking up listings and generally thinking of ways to wriggle out of actually getting your finances under control.

Your current financial and living situation is the cumulative result of years of you doing this kind of poo poo. Doing it doesn’t leave you any better off at the end of the day (proof: your current finances). Your even thinking about doing it again is the equivalent of an alcoholic pouring out shots of Jameson’s while going “Hey, there’s no harm if I only smell them, right?!!!”

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Those are things you willingly went without during your RV living phase. At the start of this thread you were quite content to continue in a living situation that would have meant going without them for even longer. Are you sure you get enjoyment from actually using them, or merely from having them?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Eh the dirt bike is hit or miss. I can live without it. That's mostly so I can potentially have a shared hobby with my kid as he gets older. I grew up riding, but I had my fun. Most boys in Reno ride dirt bikes though, so I have a feeling he'll want to.

Drums I've just resigned myself to not playing until we're in a house we own. I want to sound damper a room so I can play without disturbing everyone. At that point it will become my main hobby, without question. And my son is also showing a big interest in drums right now. Runs in the family.

But I can always pick up another drum set and dirt bike. There's just a lot of changes going on right now. Moving, meal planning, exercise, quitting smoking, quitting drinking, genuinely following a budget to meet our goals, working on mental health like impulse control and anxiety, etc etc. Lot to take on at once. But I'll do it. I said I'll take the advice of the thread and I mean that.

What I’m getting at is, why did you think of “Hey, I could flip a couch” before “Hey, I could dispose of these unused valuable items that are literally costing us $ to own”?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

What did you buy, KG?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Saw the new posts and actually thought KG might have updated lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Correct me if I’m wrong US auto goons, but surely there are plenty of perfectly good small family cars available for sub-15k, instead of that 20k used boy-racer-mobile?