Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topside1246
Apr 9, 2019

Hey goons, are any of y'all looking forward to the new Star Wars game coming out in November?
(Jedi Fallen Order for you idiots who can't read titles.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it looked ok, but not great. I'll probably wait for a sale before picking it up

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Everything about the trailer except the presentation looked worse than Jedi outcast, ~20 years of progress and you make a game that plays like Uncharted with wiffle bat light sabres.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

It looks more like Star Wars: Obi Wan and less like Force Unleashed which at least made your wifflebat look cool.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
With the release looming, here's some new stuff:

New Story Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfcAHfDuNzw

E3 Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXpxWy8DJSE

Which platform should I choose?
Pick the one that suits you best. EA and Microsoft are continuing their partnership which has the game marketed heavily on the X side.

Seriously, which one?
PC users can get the game as part of the Origin Access Premier (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Access/Star-Wars-Jedi-origin-access/td-p/7795678).
In case you were unaware, this is EA's own subscription service at the smooth price of $/€/£14.99. The game is a single-player story, so you have a low price of entry.

Why should I care about this game?
In the era of service games, Fallen Order is a rare production from EA. It is a full single-player game with no multiplayer component and no MTX (at least announced).
The game is created by Respawn entertainment, the team behind the goon favorite Titanfall -series and Apex Legends.

Amongst the staff:
Stig Asmussen (God of War 3 director)

Chris Avellone (Kotor 2 writer)

Matt Michnovetz (Clone Wars writer)

Adam Jones, Senior Level Designer, (Arkham Knight, Devil may Cry)

Aaron Contreras, Narrative Lead, ( AC Black Flag, Bioshock Infinite, Mafia 3, World of Warcraft)

Is this that game Amy Hennig was working on?
Unfortunately not. That game was canceled and Hennig hasn't had any input in this game as far as is known.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Flannelette posted:

make a game that plays like Uncharted with wiffle bat light sabres.

That sounds great, though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not Lucasarts. gently caress EA. Probably will be generic shite.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Flannelette posted:

Everything about the trailer except the presentation looked worse than Jedi outcast, ~20 years of progress and you make a game that plays like Uncharted with wiffle bat light sabres.

lol

Yea, you can't dismember people but any hit with the lightsaber is fatal. It's basically Sekiro but with Jedi. Duel the enemy until you work down their stamina bar or get an opening so you can hit them and kill them instantly.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

looks fun

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
A new Stars Wars game that isn't Battlefront sounds nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apparently what EA Games and Respawn have failed to explain, is that Jedi Fallen Order is similar to God of War (PS4) in how it plays. If this is the case then I am way more interested in it then what was shown off at E3, which made the game look very boring. Like, I want single player story driven Star Wars games, but i'm not willing to drop what little standards I have for a boring rear end game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Apparently what EA Games and Respawn have failed to explain, is that Jedi Fallen Order is similar to God of War (PS4) in how it plays. If this is the case then I am way more interested in it then what was shown off at E3, which made the game look very boring. Like, I want single player story driven Star Wars games, but i'm not willing to drop what little standards I have for a boring rear end game.

Devs explaining how the combat works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITZbqgJeBhk

It's Sekiro but with a Star Wars skin. I also heard, but can't find the source anymore, that you have a ship as your hub and travel to different places. Then you can explore new areas that were previously inaccessible when you acquire new traversal abilities.

Believe me, I was like you in that I didn't care at all for what they showed at E3. But with each little detail that comes out I am becoming more interested. I am still going to wait for reviews though.

e: Found the source for the exploration stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ynCg6dOHA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 30, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Devs explaining how the combat works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITZbqgJeBhk

It's Sekiro but with a Star Wars skin. I also heard, but can't find the source anymore, that you have a ship as your hub and travel to different places. Then you can explore new areas that were previously inaccessible when you acquire new traversal abilities.

Believe me, I was like you in that I didn't care at all for what they showed at E3. But with each little detail that comes out I am becoming more interested. I am still going to wait for reviews though.

Well this looks nice, haven't played Sekiro but the force power interactions and things dying when you actually hit them with a lightsaber seems promising. What's the plot exactly? More founding the Rebel Alliance?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Adaptabullshit posted:

It is a full single-player game with no multiplayer component

:rip:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Coulda just made star wars dark souls. EA has the budget and could have made star wars dark souls. But they made this. Coulda made your own guy and unlocked force powers like spells and force shrines to collect midichlorians or some poo poo. Hmm. That would have owned.

EDIT: it kinda looks like dark souls gameplay somewhat. lol @ that clip of alpha "gameplay" footage. No way that's actual gameplay.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 30, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The main guy is young Kyle Katarn, mark this post

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No dismemberment is a disgrace.

Even Jedi Outcast had it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even Star Wars had it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
It's Disney

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kylo cut a dude in half, Darth Maul style.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It's EA

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Why is no one talking about this game? The new gameplay looks really good. Learning that’s it’s nonlinear and has more in depth combat made me really interested in it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Looks kinda boring tbh.

Was really hoping for some RPG style experience, or something different. This seems more like the conventional Action Game Structure off just "play some linear missions, watch cut scenes". That can be ok I guess and I might play it eventually, but honestly it doesn't get me very excited and there is probably zero chance I get this anywhere near release.

Maybe I missed some new info or something cause people calling it nonlinear now? Idk, if it's just "you can go back and move a boulder now" I don't really consider that a meaningful upgrade. Strictly speaking, the linearity isn't really the key issue, it just seems like the kind of the game that is "go stab some people, then sit back and be presented with story" which I'm not really about.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 21, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly the biggest thing this game has going for it is "it's a Star Wars game that's not Battlefront and exists."

Seems pretty mediocre but with EA's complete mismanagement of the license people are starved for any kind of content. If it weren't the fact that the only Star Wars games in ten years (on a real system) have been "Battlefront, then Battlefront again" I don't think this would have any steam. Hell it barely seems to have any steam regardless.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Chomp8645 posted:

Looks kinda boring tbh.

Was really hoping for some RPG style experience, or something different. This seems more like the conventional Action Game Structure off just "play some linear missions, watch cut scenes". That can be ok I guess and I might play it eventually, but honestly it doesn't get me very excited and there is probably zero chance I get this anywhere near release.

Maybe I missed some new info or something cause people calling it nonlinear now? Idk, if it's just "you can go back and move a boulder now" I don't really consider that a meaningful upgrade. Strictly speaking, the linearity isn't really the key issue, it just seems like the kind of the game that is "go stab some people, then sit back and be presented with story" which I'm not really about.

Have you watched anyone talking about the gameplay because some of the videos I watched talked about a pretty big spiderweb like skill tree and it being a much bigger world with lots of collectibles and secrets. Everyone who I have watched who got to play it recently talked about how it’s a much different and more in depth game then was initially shown.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars the Old Republic has a new story heavy expansion pack coming out tomorrow. That will be my Star Wars fix. Watching all of the new footage that has come out recently of Fallen Order, I am still not convinced this is going to be a good game. I guess at worst, I waste $15 for a month of EA Origin Access Premier in order to play this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

Have you watched anyone talking about the gameplay because some of the videos I watched talked about a pretty big spiderweb like skill tree and it being a much bigger world with lots of collectibles and secrets. Everyone who I have watched who got to play it recently talked about how it’s a much different and more in depth game then was initially shown.

I watched the whole 30 minute gameplay thing from a while back, and I thought that seemed pretty lackluster all around. Maybe it's improved? But tbh it's never been my experience that a game does a whole big turnaround like that, not this late in the process. People can say whatever they want from behind the scenes, the proof is in the pudding, and the video we've scene was a real yawner.

The main problem was that it just... looked kinda... boring to play. Somewhere around the time the guy was slowly whitting down the fourth giant spider I was thinking "yeah, this does not look engaging at all". Flinging stormtroopers around is alright, but we've seen that game before. It's cool and fun to play with force push/pull/flop/whatev for about 15 minutes and then the novelty wears off. All the skill trees, collectables, and secrets in the world won't change that. You get away with mediocre action in a game like KOTOR or something that's narrative driven and offers a more immersive roleplaying experience. But this is an action game. If the moment to moment gameplay isn't engaging, the game ain't gonna be good.

I'm not trying to hate real hard on an unreleased game. Maybe it will be good. But the only substantial gameplay vid that we've seen was pretty underwhelming, and I don't put much stock in hype men trying to convince us that it's totally gonna be such a different experience when it comes out. Forget the thing your eyes saw, listen to us youtube hypers and literally Respawn employees using words to describe all the awesome stuff you're gonna do!

If I missed some new, substantial gameplay video then let me know. The thing earlier itt just seemed to be some guy talking over the old footage.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I think the gameplay looks far more interesting then just another hack and slash action game. I mean I wasnt listening to hype men I was listening to people talk about actual gameplay elements they got to see. It's not like they were giving their opinions on the game. I guess saying there is a skill tree and the world is much more open then what was shown initially is hype now because it wasn't shown in 10 minutes of a gameplay video.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If the game is Tomb Raider with a lightsaber, I'm on board for that.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Bubbacub posted:

If the game is Tomb Raider with a lightsaber, I'm on board for that.

According to the recent previews it's a mash up of tomb raider like traversal, with the bonfire system from the souls games right down to respawning enemies and your Medi packs working and refilling exactly like Estus flasks.

With a lightsaber and force powers.

As long as the combat feels fine, I'm ok with all that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Easy Allies did a preview and said the Tomb Raider / Uncharted like puzzles were super easy and a weak point of the game.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

I said come in! posted:

Easy Allies did a preview and said the Tomb Raider / Uncharted like puzzles were super easy and a weak point of the game.

I watched a that preview and don't recall them saying that at all.

Edit: If you mean the one from several months ago, maybe, however the one from this week was super up beat about the game.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 22, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The videos that came out recently got me much more interested than the other ones from a while ago. I could probably stand it not literally just copying Dark Souls as much but I think I'll enjoy it regardless.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Chomp8645 posted:

If I missed some new, substantial gameplay video then let me know. The thing earlier itt just seemed to be some guy talking over the old footage.
They released new footage a few days ago, and a number of the press were invited to play the demo so you're basically getting people's comments overlaid on the dev provided footage. They weren't allowed to capture their own footage. They did show off robots and monsters get dismembered at least!

I don't think anyone actually played light saber vs light saber yet so jury is still really out on if it's going to be Sekiro style dueling, but the people who played the most recent demo did mention stamina depletion/deathblows on generic enemies. The devs did include some duels in their footage but nobody has played them. In the footage it was almost all dodging (the game even slow-mos when you dodge but that might just be a power). I'm guessing the game is much more God of War than Sekiro, but the duels looked bog standard to me. The other bosses they showed off looked much cooler, the ATST looked great aesthetically.

Things I noted in the 23 minute easy allies video I watched:
- Cosmetic color drops for MC/Droids, people found ponchos but not new outfits yet
- Metroid Prime scanning/maps (very cool idea to steal imo)
- Heavy customization system on the lightsaber (not sure if only cosmetic)
- Skill web
- Force powers are mapped to face buttons so they're more accessible than d-pad switching to one spell/power
- Backtracking will be a part of the game, not sure on depth. Plenty of exploration.

I'm kind of excited. It helps a lot that Respawn made an excellent single player experience in Titan Fall 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this is getting a Steam release and EA is bringing some games back to the platform. That's neat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Disney warned EA that this game needs to sell really well. So putting it on Steam was a good move.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order: The Colon Wars

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Friendly Fire posted:

As long as the combat feels fine, I'm ok with all that.

There is no going back from having seen Lightsaber dismemberment in Jedi Knight.

It just painfully WRONG for every sense of physical perception to have just ragdolls.