Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I did really enjoy feeling like a badass space battle wizard in the force unleashed games. The over the top treatment of force abilities in that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

JBP posted:

ok boomer

:negative:

I've become what I hate. :smith:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

JK2 with the dismemberment cheat and maxed force powers on was really fuckin fun, I spent hours chopping up stormtroopers in bullet-time and running on walls and stuff.

Also wtf didn't lightsabers in the movies always cut through stuff? like, droids, Sith, giant steel doors, they cut fuckin everything :shrug:

The game wouldn’t even be gory with dismemberment, the lightsabers cauterize the wounds. Come on Disney, let the limbs fly off :argh:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Friendly Fire posted:

Except it's not. The only time anything is severed is to make a dramatic point and it only usually happens with named characters. (Battle droids notwithstanding)

Your joking right? The films would have had a totally different feel if limbs went flying everywhere every time a lightsaber was used. They are westerns with space wizards in them, not Tarantino gore fests.

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

Nah, sorry but both Raven games where fantastic and aged appropriately slow.

Limb cutting wasn't a "Tarantino gore fest" either way, just appropriate behavior for the weapon.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This looks like a bad Force Unleashed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SweetBro posted:

This looks like a bad Force Unleashed.

Nah it looks like Tomb Raider with lightsabres. I reckon it'll be a decent fun game but will be very safe and break absolutely no new ground. EA need to deliver something solid or Disney will look hard at those exclusive IP rights its licensed out.

It will be remembered, but only because it will break a streak of very bad star wars games.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Alchenar posted:

it'll be a decent fun game

X

The combat already looks like you're hitting everyone with a stick rather than a light saber.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

JK2 with the dismemberment cheat and maxed force powers on was really fuckin fun, I spent hours chopping up stormtroopers in bullet-time and running on walls and stuff.

Also wtf didn't lightsabers in the movies always cut through stuff? like, droids, Sith, giant steel doors, they cut fuckin everything :shrug:

sometimes lightsabers would just bounce off the environment instead of slicing right through (see: Luke and Vader's fights in Empire and RotJ)

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Nah it looks like Tomb Raider with lightsabres. I reckon it'll be a decent fun game but will be very safe and break absolutely no new ground. EA need to deliver something solid or Disney will look hard at those exclusive IP rights its licensed out.

It will be remembered, but only because it will break a streak of very bad star wars games.

If Disney were going to dispense the rights to someone else, who? I would like to see them allow lots of developers a shot at it and see what good comes out. A bit like the Warhammer guys did.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

haldolium posted:

Limb cutting wasn't a "Tarantino gore fest" either way, just appropriate behavior for the weapon.

It's true that the old Raven games aren't remembered well in the mainstream but they made some good poo poo back then that kept an active MP community for a decade and a half. Jedi Knight and Star Trek Elite Force 1 had some of the best modding communities ever.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Edit: never mind. It's a dumb argument anyway.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 7, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

If Disney were going to dispense the rights to someone else, who? I would like to see them allow lots of developers a shot at it and see what good comes out. A bit like the Warhammer guys did.

Nah, warhammer suffers from the shotgun approach and only relic and CA have produced truly great games from it, which you would have guessed in advance.

Relic could make Dawn of (star) Wars. Give a pile of money to the Rebel Galaxy guys to turn that star wars concept demo into something real. Remedy can make what they are making now. Also reboot podracing and Rebellion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The 15 second trailer that plays sometimes as a youtube ad bugs me because it shows this fight between Jedi Knight H'wite Genneriko and Darth Vadress where she does this slow, lumbering spin that leaves her wide open to an attack for like an hour and I swear you can see the motion capture actor for the guy having to stop himself clumsily from beaning her with the next step of the choreography

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There have been some good Warhammer 40k games of late. In particular Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus by BULWARK, a small French studio.

I actually think opening up the license similiar to GW would be pretty cool, hopefully with some better quality control though. I like seeing what different studios do with the license, at the very least we've gotten a bunch of different genres of Warhammer games were as with EA we've gotten what? 3 big games in the past decade, 2 of them Battlefront games.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

This looks bad. And it’s all I can do to stop myself from preordering it.

I should get that other walking simulator that’s coming out soon instead.

And then not play that and play this instead.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Completely hypeless

When do review embargos for this lift?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'll probably do the 15 bucks for Premier for this. Unless you can't finish this game in a month, I dont see a reason not to do premier. Unless you wanna skip the game entirely I guess.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Yeah I'll likely do the premier thing for this, or just rent it on Redbox and do console, depending on how long it actually is.

I have a tiny sliver of hope that this is going to be a sleeper GOTY contestant, with the gameplay of Sekiro but lightsabers. If it is I'll buy it (at some point, mb not immediately)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I already pre-ordered it because I am desperate for new Star Wars games and it actually looks good.

I will not respond to your hate PMs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haldolium posted:

i mean you could butcher all of oota gunga and children in the phantom menace game too. i mean i agree, there should be more dismemberment in star wars game but as along as they have some good burn cuts/marks with light saber strikes, i'll be ok with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FallenOrde...tm_source=share

anyway some dude on reddit got it early, says the combat is very serkerio and awesome.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
You can pre-order the game from the Target circle APP (don't think it works online) for 40% off. Last few hours to do it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Friendly Fire posted:

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

I agree that a Star Wars game doesn’t need limbs flying off everywhere, but are you loving high? Dark Forces II:Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II were released to universal acclaim when they came out. They’re still really good at what they do, and nothing else has really had map design on the ball-bustingly hard but high quality level that they had since.

I preordered this on Steam. I don’t know why but I haven’t done that “use a game pass service for a new AAA game” thing yet, I think it just feels like something where my access could vanish without warning or something, even though I know that’s actually unlikely.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 10, 2019

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I preordered this on Steam. I don’t know why but I haven’t done that “use a game pass service for a new AAA game” thing yet, I think it just feels like something where my access could vanish without warning or something, even though I know that’s actually unlikely.
Having a real hard time wanting to spend $53 when I could give $15 and get all the digital delux items besides. I have been waiting for years for a good Star Wars game to drop but I honestly can't see myself going through more than once/twice and shelving it :colbert:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Thom12255 posted:

You can pre-order the game from the Target circle APP (don't think it works online) for 40% off. Last few hours to do it.

In the app it’s says the preorder is not available for me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Bought the pre-order. I'll admit that I was absolutely sold by the range of lightsaber customization.

Hope I get murdered by Vader at the end. It's how I've always wanted to die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best lightsaber combat is from the Revenge of the Sith video game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bought the pre-order. I'll admit that I was absolutely sold by the range of lightsaber customization.

Hope I get murdered by Vader at the end. It's how I've always wanted to die.

it sounds like its very much based on the disney world "build lightsaber" style thing, so you can mix and match and you start with blue or green.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its Jedi Knight dark souls with Sekiro combat and metroid style progression. Count me in.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Heads up: Unlike a number of recent PC releases, it looks like we’ll be able to unlock the game on Origin early with a VPN. I get 5am PST on Thursday if I set it to NZ.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
More God of War than Sekiro I think, all the bosses videos so far had very little parrying but plenty of death blowing that looked like a parry.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Rascyc posted:

More God of War than Sekiro I think, all the bosses videos so far had very little parrying but plenty of death blowing that looked like a parry.

The fights vs the mooks are apparently very sekiro parry style

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Long as it's something more than mashing attack constantly to sweep through every encounter.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Preload is up on Origin Premier (don't know about the rest), it's about 50 GB.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm looking forward to it. I've stayed away from learning many specifics about it, but I've wanted another real single player SW campaign for years (BF2 was decently fun but mostly just whet my appetite for a full campaign), and I loved the Titanfall 2 campaign so the developer gave me some hope. I just blew a bunch of gamestop credit on the preorder, so if it's terrible I'll be disappointed but it won't really cost me anything.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The game looks okay. It doesn't look like it's trying something particularly new with gameplay, but passable. The areas they showed all look pretty small and linear. The visual style is kinda dull and dim. There's nothing particularly exciting about it.

These days a lot of the Star Wars brand feels really tiring to me because ever since the removal of the EU, if feels like they're afraid of straying too far from any canonical source material and now every vehicle, every design, every character beat is something I've already seen and there's nothing new under the sun. l liked Rebels because it really found its own stories to tell, but I really don't see what makes Cal Reegar different from the hundreds of protagonists that have come before him.

I appreciate the giant spiders at least, they're neat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm calling it now: the game is going to be really really good, and the reason you're not hearing a lot about it hype-wise is because Respawn's last game, Apex Legends, was surprise-released with zero marketing and made almost 200 million dollars in the first 3 months. I think that corporate is honestly trying to figure out how much of their huge 50m marketing budgets actually matter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hell, I'm still not sure I've heard of Apex Legends.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm calling it now: the game is going to be really really good, and the reason you're not hearing a lot about it hype-wise is because Respawn's last game, Apex Legends, was surprise-released with zero marketing and made almost 200 million dollars in the first 3 months. I think that corporate is honestly trying to figure out how much of their huge 50m marketing budgets actually matter.

I just wish there was a little more gameplay footage out there. Everything I’ve read about this game makes me want to play it, but the (sparse) gameplay I’ve seen so far has done the opposite. Hard to describe, but it just looks clunky.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
It’s from the Titanfall 2 guys?
That was a pretty fantastic and fast paced campaign, and I have to think more than a minute to name 5 better games of the last years with a better campaign that caught me into immersion and action and “woah that was loving awesome”-moments the way TF2 did.

I got EA Origin Premier, so that’s a no brainer library addition anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

respawn makes amazing stuff and titanfall 1 and more so 2 are fantastic games.