Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Playing through Fallen Order for the first time. Gotten a few ponchos. Made my lightsaber slightly shinier and with more random bullshit. Game is great 10/10.

Also it runs extremely well on my pretty middling PC. I'll probably pick up the sequel in like a year when it's been patched to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Am I the only one who finds the goddamn acid bugs on Dathomir the most annoying enemies to fight in this game? I went back to see if there were any new paths open now that I have push/pull and I was reminded why I initially bounced off this game and it's because I got to Dathomir and just hated fighting these loving bugs. I think the hold y to dash move is probably the most efficient way to deal with them but when you're out of force power it's just annoying fighting them, especially in groups.

If I had one major complaint about this game it's that you fight a ton of gleep glops with pretty ambiguous attack patterns so it's never super clear when to parry them and it's not nearly as satisfying fighting a big blob monster as it is one of the shock stick guys or dismantling a group of stormtroopers.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

explosivo posted:

Am I the only one who finds the goddamn acid bugs on Dathomir the most annoying enemies to fight in this game? I went back to see if there were any new paths open now that I have push/pull and I was reminded why I initially bounced off this game and it's because I got to Dathomir and just hated fighting these loving bugs. I think the hold y to dash move is probably the most efficient way to deal with them but when you're out of force power it's just annoying fighting them, especially in groups.

If I had one major complaint about this game it's that you fight a ton of gleep glops with pretty ambiguous attack patterns so it's never super clear when to parry them and it's not nearly as satisfying fighting a big blob monster as it is one of the shock stick guys or dismantling a group of stormtroopers.

The sprinting light attack or dash attack completely shits on the acid bugs. You'll occasionally take chip damage through your attack but it doesn't happen too frequently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While I was not among them, I've seen people laugh at the idea of an arachnophobia mode for Survivor. Spiders don't bother me like that.

And then one of the giant ones on Kashyyk just dive bombed me out of nowhere and I'm madly pressing X. I get it now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dawgstar posted:

While I was not among them, I've seen people laugh at the idea of an arachnophobia mode for Survivor.

I finally remembered to try that, and it made me laugh unexpectedly at how they handled it (technically a spoiler, but just an occasional miniboss type)

Like, ok, I guess that's doing something?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nice to see Thardus from Metroid Prime in a new line of work

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do scorpions actually trigger Arachnaphobia anyway?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RatHat posted:

Do scorpions actually trigger Arachnaphobia anyway?

There's actually been a whole discussion around spiders/scorpions/crabs/made-up creatures in the thread I originally made that for, and the answer is: complicated, but probably not so much :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fennesz posted:

The sprinting light attack or dash attack completely shits on the acid bugs. You'll occasionally take chip damage through your attack but it doesn't happen too frequently.

Oh thank you this is absolutely the way to do it, I was massively overthinking it. And couldn't be at a better time as they're all over the drat place in this area past the double jump wall.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beat this tonight, overall I really liked it but around the return trip to Dathomir where you get Merin I was pretty over trying to see every nook and cranny and started rushing through the objectives. Looking forward to playing the sequel eventually whenever they sort that out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the game is too big. There are big areas on the open planets that I didn't even bother to explore. I don't really feel the need to, either. Like if the main plot isn't going to send me really anywhere near there, I don't feel like going out of my way to see it. Especially when the main plot feels petty urgent.

Still good game. I dunno if I'll play it again soon though. I wish you could take Merrin exploring with you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

explosivo posted:

Beat this tonight, overall I really liked it but around the return trip to Dathomir where you get Merin I was pretty over trying to see every nook and cranny and started rushing through the objectives. Looking forward to playing the sequel eventually whenever they sort that out.

I mean, the sequel is out now, and it's much better about this whole issue. Firstly because there are real customization options for Cal hidden in those chests (and no, I don't know why Cal needs to loot some out of the way chest to learn how to cut his hair short or grow a mustache :shrug:), and secondly because the fast travel system means you only need to get back to the nearest meditation circle to teleport back to the main hub, or to the circle on the route to the story critical stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Torrannor posted:

I mean, the sequel is out now, and it's much better about this whole issue. Firstly because there are real customization options for Cal hidden in those chests (and no, I don't know why Cal needs to loot some out of the way chest to learn how to cut his hair short or grow a mustache :shrug:), and secondly because the fast travel system means you only need to get back to the nearest meditation circle to teleport back to the main hub, or to the circle on the route to the story critical stuff.

That all sounds great but I'm on PC so I'll be waiting until they patch it a bit since it sound pretty rough still. I'm also not sure how much I'll love the expanded cosmetic stuff since I was already getting kind of sick of finding chests that unlock a BD skin I won't use or a new poncho color I won't use and it sounds like it's a whole lot more of that between the beards and the hair and the jackets and shirts and pants.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've been replaying Fallen Order on NG+ to give some time for patches to come out for Survivor. I'm playing on the hard difficulty, (Jedi Master?) and I just can't get the parry mechanics to click. Anyone have tips on how to get better at this? Like I get hosed up by Purge Troopers and the Scout Troopers with the stun batons constantly. I just can't figure out the timing. I'm pretty sure I have "game mode" or whatever set up on my TV already but I'm going to double check that next chance I get. I'd love to blame my TV since I am usually pretty good at timing, or at least I was in the Arkham games, Shadow of Mordor/War, and Ghost of Tsushima. I feel like block being on LB (playing on Xbox Series X) is a little more awkward than I'm used to but I'm pretty sure at least one of the games I mentioned had block on L1/LB so it shouldn't be that bad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Epi Lepi posted:

I've been replaying Fallen Order on NG+ to give some time for patches to come out for Survivor. I'm playing on the hard difficulty, (Jedi Master?) and I just can't get the parry mechanics to click. Anyone have tips on how to get better at this? Like I get hosed up by Purge Troopers and the Scout Troopers with the stun batons constantly. I just can't figure out the timing. I'm pretty sure I have "game mode" or whatever set up on my TV already but I'm going to double check that next chance I get. I'd love to blame my TV since I am usually pretty good at timing, or at least I was in the Arkham games, Shadow of Mordor/War, and Ghost of Tsushima. I feel like block being on LB (playing on Xbox Series X) is a little more awkward than I'm used to but I'm pretty sure at least one of the games I mentioned had block on L1/LB so it shouldn't be that bad.

I played the game on this difficulty and didn't really have this problem; it's just a tighter window. The * Trooper enemies and most bugs have weird windups in a lot of cases and it took me a while to figure out when to block for those but you should always be blocking just before their attack lands. The basic nightbrothers on Dathomir have pretty big windup and attack that might be good to practice on since it's pretty obvious when the attack is coming.

Edit: not to be all "get good" or anything like that. I just meant that in my experience on that difficulty it didn't feel unfair or broken you just have to get the timing down. I honestly ended up dodging in combat a whole lot more than parrying because it felt easier to avoid taking damage this way. If I was in a one on one fight I'd focus on parrying but I did a looot of dodging/rolling.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 8, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Is it blocking their first swing that you’re missing? If I missed the first parry window I always found it almost impossible to parry later hits in a fast enemy combo so I just kept holding block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah the game is too big. There are big areas on the open planets that I didn't even bother to explore. I don't really feel the need to, either. Like if the main plot isn't going to send me really anywhere near there, I don't feel like going out of my way to see it. Especially when the main plot feels petty urgent.

Still good game. I dunno if I'll play it again soon though. I wish you could take Merrin exploring with you.

I just rolled credits. The issue is just that the side stuff isn't really interesting and there isn't too much of it. Running around and exploring these big empty maps isn't fun the way it was in games like GOW:R or spiderman where it was fun just to dick around and I 100%'d both. I will probably never pick this game up again after beating it despite the combat being legitimately fun.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 8, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It is important to note that you have to tap the block button to parry; if you hold it down, you go into a 'block,' and when you let it go to do the next parry, you're screwed.

Took me a while to get out of 'hold it down, then release and hold it down again for the next hit' pattern.

The idea as presented in game is that if you miss the first parry, you keep holding down the block button so at least you're not taking damage. So the game assumes if you hold the block button down at all, you've given up on parrying.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

TheCenturion posted:

It is important to note that you have to tap the block button to parry; if you hold it down, you go into a 'block,' and when you let it go to do the next parry, you're screwed.

Took me a while to get out of 'hold it down, then release and hold it down again for the next hit' pattern.

The idea as presented in game is that if you miss the first parry, you keep holding down the block button so at least you're not taking damage. So the game assumes if you hold the block button down at all, you've given up on parrying.

A block button hold that is started during the parry window will still parry that first hit, it will just switch to blocking hits after that which with some purge troopers that have a lot of quick attacks in a chain is often the best approach. Or you can parry the first hit, block two or three more, and then release block and hold it again to parry another hit in a chain. I believe the most important thing to keep in mind about tapping to parry purge troopers is that there is some minimum time between parries/blocks and some of the attack chains happen faster than that reset time. So if you tap, you might parry the first hit but you will eat several more hits before your block/parry/stagger resets.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kibayasu posted:

Is it blocking their first swing that you’re missing? If I missed the first parry window I always found it almost impossible to parry later hits in a fast enemy combo so I just kept holding block.

Yeah I'm whiffing on a lot of the first swings and I'm not sure if I'm blocking too early or too late which is the most frustrating part.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I do find the parry timing tough to nail in both these games, even after having beat them. I know folks say it's tuned to one of the higher difficulty settings, but the difference in something like Ghost of Tsushima is that it felt natural from the start and I was able to work my way up to play on lethal - if I'm already having trouble in standard mode here, I'm not really inclined to jack things up even higher just to see if the timing clicks better.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

I do find the parry timing tough to nail in both these games, even after having beat them. I know folks say it's tuned to one of the higher difficulty settings, but the difference in something like Ghost of Tsushima is that it felt natural from the start and I was able to work my way up to play on lethal - if I'm already having trouble in standard mode here, I'm not really inclined to jack things up even higher just to see if the timing clicks better.

Each difficulty having different timing and attacks makes figuring out which is "right" pretty hard - once you get used to the timing and pattern of one and kick it up or down a notch, everything changes and you have to unlearn and relearn things

I mastered an enemy on Grand Master, then knocked it down to Jedi Knight and got my rear end handed to me because all the timing was off

(Jedi Knight's probably the ideal setting between challenging and comfortably doable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Maybe I just needed to complain about it or maybe I was having some weird lag the prior few times I was playing but parrying finally clicked for me last night. Was able to do the entire second visit to Kashyyk and the fight with the 9th sister all went pretty well. On to Dathomir which will be a fun test.