Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s from the Titanfall 2 guys?
That was a pretty fantastic and fast paced campaign, and I have to think more than a minute to name 5 better games of the last years with a better campaign that caught me into immersion and action and “woah that was loving awesome”-moments the way TF2 did.

I got EA Origin Premier, so that’s a no brainer library addition anyway.

it sounds like the campaign will be pretty long. i want to guess, arkham knight length. maybe longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I just wish there was a little more gameplay footage out there. Everything I’ve read about this game makes me want to play it, but the (sparse) gameplay I’ve seen so far has done the opposite. Hard to describe, but it just looks clunky.

I agree with you. I have seen about half-a-dozen videos with a title similar to "Fallen Order: It's really good! (gameplay impressions)" from reviewers and although I haven't watched them all I'm pretty sure that this game is going to fun. The combat looks VERY deliberate and consequential - as a rule that's not fun to watch but it's a great time to play.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it sounds like the campaign will be pretty long. i want to guess, arkham knight length. maybe longer.

So let’s hope they got enough hooks and story features and nice action to keep us immersed .

I give Respawn some credit, one of the few dev teams that did not disappoint, it s the opposite. They set their own bars really high, in a good way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Titanfall 2's campaign was a lot of fun and the perfect length for a fast paced first person shooter. The multiplayer was also good but too much like Call of Duty so it never took off.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One of the Game Informer guys said that the game encouraged defensive combat, and then showed footage of someone trying to brute force their way way through a stormtrooper squad and get lit up. Looks like blocking/deflecting are really important.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

So let’s hope they got enough hooks and story features and nice action to keep us immersed .

I give Respawn some credit, one of the few dev teams that did not disappoint, it s the opposite. They set their own bars really high, in a good way.

it has some good writers behind it like Chris Avellone and Aaron Contreras is the narrative lead. he wrote mafia 3 which while it has its issues if is a loving fantastically written game. the cinimatics director is 3rd part person who also cinematic director on TNC.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 11, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PunkBoy posted:

One of the Game Informer guys said that the game encouraged defensive combat, and then showed footage of someone trying to brute force their way way through a stormtrooper squad and get lit up. Looks like blocking/deflecting are really important.

note that this is a game journalist playing this so your average person could probably hack and slash their way thru the game with little trouble

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Somebody ripped the game logos and all the ability training videos off the preload:

https://streamable.com/l2xfg

Weapon spoilers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Somebody ripped the game logos and all the ability training videos off the preload:

Weapon spoilers.

well, poo poo. i am hyped.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I said come in! posted:

Titanfall 2's campaign was a lot of fun and the perfect length for a fast paced first person shooter. The multiplayer was also good but too much like Call of Duty so it never took off.

It's really not like Call of Duty at all. There are no killstreaks or deathstreaks and there are literally huge robots running around and there is massive amounts of movement tech that you need to be able to do in order to compete. It is MUCH closer to the movement-based shooters circa Quake than Call of Duty, just with low TTK.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cross-Section posted:

Weapon spoilers.

This looks cool as poo poo but yeah, I bet this is a spoiler for a moment that would be a lot cooler if you weren't expecting it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's really not like Call of Duty at all. There are no killstreaks or deathstreaks and there are literally huge robots running around and there is massive amounts of movement tech that you need to be able to do in order to compete. It is MUCH closer to the movement-based shooters circa Quake than Call of Duty, just with low TTK.

A lot of the time it felt more like Tribes than anything else, especially when you and an enemy both had non-hitscan weapons and were both trying to hit each other while both parties frantically moved in three dimensions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I absolutely loathe COD, love TF2. They really play nothing alike past the surface level because movement is everything, and the low TTK is less of an issue because between your mobility and abilities, you're remarkably survivable. Agreeing with its similarities to Tribes also.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also at least in PC multiplayer is still pretty active, hell randomn pubbies I've played with even mentioned that there seems to be more interest in the game now after Apex Legends came out.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Mk so two questions about this hurr game which I'm trying not to spoil myself about:

1. Pre-order gets you a golden saber... but can you get a golden saber anyway in the game? Or is pre-order the only golden crystal path? Gold is my fav saber color since I was a kiddo so, you know, important

2. Recommended specs have a 1070.... is this going to be the game that won't run with my 970 and old af processor? Should I go PS4 (not pro) instead?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Not to turn this into the Titanfall 2 thread, but I really want to put a nail in the coffin for "Titanfall 2 multiplayer failed because it was like Call of Duty"

Check out the beginning of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HaTmoQ6NGA&t=12s

At one minute in you get to see some of the movement tech I was talking about.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CharlestonJew posted:

note that this is a game journalist playing this so your average person could probably hack and slash their way thru the game with little trouble

No, the guys in the video said that part was footage provided by Respawn.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Review Embargo isn’t up until Thursday night.

Also I just went to preorder this on Amazon and it was down to $50 for me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

Review Embargo isn’t up until Thursday night.

Also I just went to preorder this on Amazon and it was down to $50 for me.

Oh cool. I just pre-ordered it for PS4. Going to cancel my Steam pre-order then, kinda was leaning towards that anyways cause I wanna play on my big screen with a DS4 controller.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
First 4 hours of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWbVA_dLtSI&feature=emb_title

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
looks kinda cool but goddamn whoever is playing needs new hands
and did I see kotor precusor race droids in there...the gently caress. also think there was a selkath there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm calling it now: the game is going to be really really good, and the reason you're not hearing a lot about it hype-wise is because Respawn's last game, Apex Legends, was surprise-released with zero marketing and made almost 200 million dollars in the first 3 months. I think that corporate is honestly trying to figure out how much of their huge 50m marketing budgets actually matter.

It didn't have zero marketing. It had zero traditional marketing. lol they straight up paid a famous streamer a million dollars to play it for a solid day at release. That's marketing. And I'm sure it was not the only thing they did.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ninjahedgehog posted:

This looks cool as poo poo but yeah, I bet this is a spoiler for a moment that would be a lot cooler if you weren't expecting it.

I'm not gonna read it then :)

Nice to know there's going to be cool powers or weapons in the game

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cross-Section posted:

Weapon spoilers.

I hope there are more things because otherwise :geno:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

It didn't have zero marketing. It had zero traditional marketing. lol they straight up paid a famous streamer a million dollars to play it for a solid day at release. That's marketing. And I'm sure it was not the only thing they did.

That's true. I was responding to someone saying that hadn't seen any ads, tho.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm not touching another game from EA and neither should anyone else.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

You do you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't bought any of EAs games for a very long time and this is a Respawn game so I'm getting it.

E: checked it out, last EA I bought was TF2.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 12, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Pylons posted:

You do you.

Will do. I stand by it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glenn Quebec posted:

"Vote with your wallet" doesn't work and even if it did, everyone boycotting this single player no microtransactions no season pass title would send precisely the wrong message.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I won't belabor it but I still feel like not buying an EA game. Hope it's fun for you guys.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

I dont get the point of running into a thread to say "I'm not buying this game, bye!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

I won't belabor it but I still feel like not buying an EA game. Hope it's fun for you guys.

You shouldn't buy it if you hate ea that's fair enough.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

topside1246 posted:

Hey goons, are any of y'all looking forward to the new Star Wars game coming out in November?
(Jedi Fallen Order for you idiots who can't read titles.)

So my answer was no, I'm not. Because EA are scumbags and I've bought way too many lovely games by them. But I don't want to poo poo up the thread of people who do still buy their garbage.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I like the pivot from a statement about how everyone should boycott the game to "hey man you can't make me buy this game that's my perosnal choice!"

No one loving cares.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dont get the point of running into a thread to say "I'm not buying this game, bye!"

Ha ha I bet this game's pitiful American Hollywood story won't deliver anything nearly as life changing as the incredible writing experience of Disco Elysium.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I like the pivot from a statement about how everyone should boycott the game to "hey man you can't make me buy this game that's my perosnal choice!"

No one loving cares.

I care.

Please do not be mean to my good friend Glenn Quebec.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I expect this game to probably be ok. Neither particularly good, nor particularly bad.

Obsidian presents: The Outer Rims

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glenn Quebec posted:

So my answer was no, I'm not. Because EA are scumbags and I've bought way too many lovely games by them. But I don't want to poo poo up the thread of people who do still buy their garbage.

This game doesn't have any of their garbage, though!

Well except for their bullshit exclusivity on the Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Realtalk I'm definitely holding out for some post-embargo reviews. Is it typical to embargo reviews until the day of release now?