Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Looks kinda boring tbh.

Was really hoping for some RPG style experience, or something different. This seems more like the conventional Action Game Structure off just "play some linear missions, watch cut scenes". That can be ok I guess and I might play it eventually, but honestly it doesn't get me very excited and there is probably zero chance I get this anywhere near release.

Maybe I missed some new info or something cause people calling it nonlinear now? Idk, if it's just "you can go back and move a boulder now" I don't really consider that a meaningful upgrade. Strictly speaking, the linearity isn't really the key issue, it just seems like the kind of the game that is "go stab some people, then sit back and be presented with story" which I'm not really about.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly the biggest thing this game has going for it is "it's a Star Wars game that's not Battlefront and exists."

Seems pretty mediocre but with EA's complete mismanagement of the license people are starved for any kind of content. If it weren't the fact that the only Star Wars games in ten years (on a real system) have been "Battlefront, then Battlefront again" I don't think this would have any steam. Hell it barely seems to have any steam regardless.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

Have you watched anyone talking about the gameplay because some of the videos I watched talked about a pretty big spiderweb like skill tree and it being a much bigger world with lots of collectibles and secrets. Everyone who I have watched who got to play it recently talked about how it’s a much different and more in depth game then was initially shown.

I watched the whole 30 minute gameplay thing from a while back, and I thought that seemed pretty lackluster all around. Maybe it's improved? But tbh it's never been my experience that a game does a whole big turnaround like that, not this late in the process. People can say whatever they want from behind the scenes, the proof is in the pudding, and the video we've scene was a real yawner.

The main problem was that it just... looked kinda... boring to play. Somewhere around the time the guy was slowly whitting down the fourth giant spider I was thinking "yeah, this does not look engaging at all". Flinging stormtroopers around is alright, but we've seen that game before. It's cool and fun to play with force push/pull/flop/whatev for about 15 minutes and then the novelty wears off. All the skill trees, collectables, and secrets in the world won't change that. You get away with mediocre action in a game like KOTOR or something that's narrative driven and offers a more immersive roleplaying experience. But this is an action game. If the moment to moment gameplay isn't engaging, the game ain't gonna be good.

I'm not trying to hate real hard on an unreleased game. Maybe it will be good. But the only substantial gameplay vid that we've seen was pretty underwhelming, and I don't put much stock in hype men trying to convince us that it's totally gonna be such a different experience when it comes out. Forget the thing your eyes saw, listen to us youtube hypers and literally Respawn employees using words to describe all the awesome stuff you're gonna do!

If I missed some new, substantial gameplay video then let me know. The thing earlier itt just seemed to be some guy talking over the old footage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm calling it now: the game is going to be really really good, and the reason you're not hearing a lot about it hype-wise is because Respawn's last game, Apex Legends, was surprise-released with zero marketing and made almost 200 million dollars in the first 3 months. I think that corporate is honestly trying to figure out how much of their huge 50m marketing budgets actually matter.

It didn't have zero marketing. It had zero traditional marketing. lol they straight up paid a famous streamer a million dollars to play it for a solid day at release. That's marketing. And I'm sure it was not the only thing they did.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I like the pivot from a statement about how everyone should boycott the game to "hey man you can't make me buy this game that's my perosnal choice!"

No one loving cares.

I care.

Please do not be mean to my good friend Glenn Quebec.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I expect this game to probably be ok. Neither particularly good, nor particularly bad.

Obsidian presents: The Outer Rims

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

This game doesn't have any of their garbage, though!

Well except for their bullshit exclusivity on the Star Wars.

I'm the EA exec reluctantly deciding that eight years into a ten year exclusivity agreement, we may as well make a star war that isn't Battlefront... I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Realtalk I'm definitely holding out for some post-embargo reviews. Is it typical to embargo reviews until the day of release now?

It's typical for games that are not good.

e: I didn't know it was under embargo. That's... not a definitive indictment, but not a great sign.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys I didn't want to do this, but I just couldn't hold it in longer! I'm breaking the review embargo on Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order.

Here is my review.

quote:

I just played Jedi Fallen Order and the game was so enjoyable! I've always loved Star Wars so I'm really looking forward to the new release! I don't want to go in depth about the game and how it's different from any other lightsaber combat game, but I can say the controls are really good! I like the fact that I don't have to be a genius at controls just to get good! I also like that the game is fun and doesn't make me think too much when I play! The game features three characters each with their own moves and abilities!

I'm hoping to be able to purchase the game on Amazon or the Play Store very soon! It's worth the wait for Star Wars!

If you want to learn more about Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, follow me on Twitter.

And if you want to follow along with me while I'm playing the game, make sure to follow my Twitter feed.

Here are the links!

Twitter

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Wow this is a difficult experience so far!

Are you using the Morrowind Enhanced Textures pack or the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul mod?

It may not have properly compiled with Wyre Bash. What is your load order?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

Respawn games typically suck? I’m not defending anything it’s just stupid to see misinformation about review embargo’s thrown around everywhere you go.

Also it’s loving hilarious for goons to constantly complain and worry about review embargo’s and then in the next sentence talk about how reviewers suck and shouldn’t be listened to.

Calm down you maclunky.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

black.lion posted:

You moron, you clown, you complete buffoon

Further,

There's actually zero difference between good and bad games

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

black.lion posted:

Can I get a few more impressions of this game from people who have not played the game?

I like the part where he swings the laser sword!

Very disappointed there is no option for a big titty twilek romance though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZeeBoi posted:

Threads shortly before a game is out are always very funny to read

If a game good: the thread is at it's peak just before release.

If a game is bad: the release is just the beginning of the fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is Star Wars finally great again?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Is it as good as The Mandalorian, cause that show is pretty dang good so far

That is a television show. This is a video game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Load times are hell.

*In a Darth Vader voice*

NoooOOOOoooooo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Get that PS4 an oil change.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Haven't bought the game but watched some streaming. Seems pretty decent.

I'd say anyone saying BEST STAR WARS GAME ever is just being sensational over a new release, but it definitely seems worth a play. I'll probably pick it up later when it's on sale or if I get really bored.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

nah most Star Wars games are just poo poo

Nobody will be replaying this game over and over, and it's not going to set any game design trends, but it's a good game that succeeds within its scope.

Sounds like we agree with each other?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

What happened here? See my previous post.

I'm a stubborn doofus and tried to catch the rope several times, cause I thought "Hey maybe you can grab it if you get the right jump", then died a lot til I got a respawn.

And after respawning the rope is *GONE*

That's some Sith fuckery...or maybe Nightsisters "Let's project a rope illusion there, for all the dumb jedi".

Star War: The Phantom Rope

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Respawn again. Maybe there will be... A New Rope

The rope will have it's revenge when.... the Hempire Strikes Back....

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thom12255 posted:

Trying to play No Mans Sky on a 7200RPM HDD was the worst experience of my life, playing it on an SSD was the 2nd.

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm surprised this many people are still getting physical copies tbh.

You can just download it, guys!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is why I purchase a maintenance plan through the dealership when I buy a console.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Wars is great again and all it took was products set in the OT era made by people who aren't idiots.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The droid needed maintenance he's heading to Jiffy Lube.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jedi Fallen Order is the Dark Souls of Sekiro games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just imagine I posted the Sonic "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" pic here too.

That's good postin'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eej posted:

no planned DLC

Aroo???

I feel like maybe there isn't any announced DLC... but surely they have some planned.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

VanillaGorilla posted:

Finished. The game definitely needed a few more months of polish. If you put aside some of the technical and balance issues, it's definitely the best Star Wars game since KOTOR and I would love to see what Respawn could do with a sequel.

Probably at least in my top 10 for the year. In a patch or two it'll be worth $60 for sure, and will be an absolute steal on sale in a few months.

Respawn KOTOR 3 when?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Why are goons complaining about how this isn't a loving RPG?

People wanna play a Star Wars RPG.

Not sure why this is upsetting to you. Kinda weird.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Cool, go play one?

I hope they make one so I can!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

So like in the LORE the different crystals you use for your saber reflect your relationship with the force. Like Purple and Red reflect that you use the force to improve your physical discipline, Blue is about using the force to balance, green is about healing and growth, etc, so having the different colors modify your force powers would make more sense than modifying the saber combat.

Huh?

Red means you're evil, other colors mean you're good, and purple means you're Samuel L. Jackson.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Something like 20% of millennials do not have a single friend. Society is utterly atomized and games are power fantasies, so they'll adapt the fantasy to whatever the audience needs.

20% of millennials subscribe to Twitch streamers?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, even without the study I did not find that statement hard to believe.

The world's getting weird, yo. And it ain't slowing down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Am I just supposed to guess where they are? Everything looks the same to me. I am paranoid about maybe I am experiencing a bug. I have seen on reddit people not having certain things load, preventing them from progressing until they reset their PS4. I had the same thing yesterday

Does Amazon offer two hour delivery on compressed air cans???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Whoa, spoiler that poo poo hotshot!

Youtube spoilered me on the same thing lol.

Thanks youtube for shoving "What happens if you REFUSE to RUN from Vader" and "Summit1g reacts to INTENSE Vader scene" into my feed apropos of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Kylo Ren kills his father, Han Solo.