Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Still working my way through this in my not-so-copious spare time at the moment. Fun, although the game is kinda bad at showing you which way you need to go on numerous occasions, and I swear the short dodge as opposed to rolling just doesn't work for me (doesn't help for some reason game refuses to map to my mouse's extra buttons). One question, are there any benefits to using the lightsaber with a single blade over the double saber once you get it? Kind of unclear to me if there's some sort of reason to swap back to it or not beyond looks/raising your personal difficulty in groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tarezax posted:

By the way I'd also like to call out (final force vision scene) the use of a climbing wall to make it look like Cal is crawling through a trench in the vision, that was pretty cool

The visions in general were really done well in my opinion. I was downright startled at the beginning of the game following my buddy and then suddenly turning around to see a ship corridor. While I echo the need for quality of life adjustments like fast travel and more troops vs. animal enemies (and they really need better path marking or maybe at least a button to hold down for directions or even "you can go here" highlighting), it's been pretty fun. Though if this is a Dark Souls-like as according to some people, I think I never managed to "git gud" so much as get adequate; thank God I've gotten plenty of stims exploring.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Firstborn posted:

Finished it today. I really enjoyed it.

Also just finished: my thoughts (alongside yours):

* Pretty much all of the vision on Bogano was excellent. Illuminating a red saber, the climbing/crawling part, everything.

That bit was awesome, like I think I mentioned earlier they did tremendous work with the various visions, but that one was the culmination of their efforts and it showed. Really like that it made sure Cal's final decision didn't come out of nowhere since he saw the consequences of trying to raise a new order, and the Zeffo Sage talking about how they fell due to dogma taking them away from the path of balance was a pretty nice point to the Jedi having the same issue (not exactly shocking that Corvo "somehow" got a vision of the fall of the Jedi when he visited the place in retrospect)

quote:

* Music was great. The cues form the OT soundtrack hit at the perfect moment.

Also got to thank the genius who grabbed The HU for that rock song, it was picture perfect Star Wars while being just enough its own thing, much like the rest of the soundtrack. Just wish they had the music available to buy/listen too.

quote:

* The droid in this game is almost as adorable as Baby Yoda.

Yeah, using BD-1's antenna as effectively ears gave him a lot of character. Considering how little they had to work with they did amazing making him not only a fully realized personality but one of the best characters of the game.

As for other thoughts; the combat was a definite struggle for me, not sure if it's just because I'm not used to this style of thing (the Dark Souls "git gud" fandom made me feel those games would emphasize basically everything I hate in a game in terms of frustration/picture perfect reflexes, though I understand this one isn't nearly as bad) but things got a little obnoxious, especially with some enemies that like to pop an unblockable with very little warning (hated those drat Empire droids, they practically retroactively soured me on K2SO from Rogue One in retrospect) or getting surrounded by enemies that could spam attacks at me. Add in how the controls felt a little clunky and slow to me and I started burning out on it, especially by the end. Felt like I got flinched out/knocked down by combat far more than enemies in the game too, which was obnoxious, every time a game does that it is yanking away the one thing I'm supposed to control in the game, my own character. Finally wimped out and dropped the difficulty (which I didn't have super high to begin with) just so I could finish and not spend eons in combat trying to traverse the map looking for the last items. I will grant when I did win a fight it felt awesome and earned. The story and the puzzle design were very good though, characters were quite likable although you had to make a point to click on them constantly until they stopped answering for best results. If they toned down the slides some (especially some which had a bad habit of sending you wildly off them) and added either fast travel after finishing a planet or at minimum a "return to ship" button travel would have been great. Map was good for what it was but the multi-level design got a bit crazy to follow, some sort of "navigate here" or at least highlighting travel areas better would be nice. Overall though a very strong game, probably more so if you can play better than me ;).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Skippy McPants posted:

Performance anecdote, I'm about an hour in, and it's running okay with everything at High settings on my four-year-old computer. i5-8400 with a GTX 1070 Ti. Not a perfect 60 fps, but I'm not the kinda person bothered by a dropped frame here or there.

On relatively high settings with a rather high end processor/nVidia 3090 Ti, only really saw major slowdowns on loading the game, actual play was just as good as the original game here. Guessing launch day patch helped a bunch there for me at least. Though for some reason achievements don't seem to be popping up in Steam right now.

quote:

Game fun so far. Intro spoiler: Cal's red-shirt yellow-shirt crew are some of the most obviously dead people I've ever seen in video games.

At least they put in enough effort to make me kind of sad they got killed, part of me was hoping they might just get separated/go back to Saw Gerrara but the second the twins ran up against the Ninth Sister it was pretty obvious they were all gonna die. I'm actually kind of glad how Kal finished off the Sister though, felt very much like a Jedi should to me for him to acknowledge her real name and that she was a victim herself.

ephex posted:

On PC dont try to change settings in the menu with the arrow keys, you have to use WSAD lol
took me a while

Anybody know how to adjust key bindings for dodge for keyboard? Tab is a very obnoxious key to try to hit in combat, but can't find the option in controls to adjust it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Nihonniboku posted:

Just redid the boss fight with the reprogrammed magnaguard. Shocked to see that even after I beheaded him, he kept on fighting!

Same thing actually happened in Revenge of the Sith, so that wasn’t pulled out at random.

quote:

Fun game so far, but a couple of random things. A lot of these areas you go to are inaccessible without the use of my jedi powers, and yet there are always pirates, stormtroopers, and droids already there ready to fight me.

Everybody’s got rockets except you :D.