Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

It just occurred to me that this is the first single-player story-driven Star Wars game in almost a decade, and the last one (Force Unleashed II) was literally unfinished when it came out.

God, I hope it's good. The Respawn team has pretty much a perfect record though (Modern Warfare I and II and both Titanfalls) so I'm quite optimistic for this one.

Yeah the first footage was really underwhelming and I'd written this off, but the stuff that came out last week looks much more interesting. Less poor man's dark souls, more Tomb Raider meets Uncharted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Right now I feel like it will be somewhere between decent and bland, with not much chance of it being incredibly groundbreaking or a total disaster.

Its Respawn though, their track record tends towards fun.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SweetBro posted:

This looks like a bad Force Unleashed.

Nah it looks like Tomb Raider with lightsabres. I reckon it'll be a decent fun game but will be very safe and break absolutely no new ground. EA need to deliver something solid or Disney will look hard at those exclusive IP rights its licensed out.

It will be remembered, but only because it will break a streak of very bad star wars games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

If Disney were going to dispense the rights to someone else, who? I would like to see them allow lots of developers a shot at it and see what good comes out. A bit like the Warhammer guys did.

Nah, warhammer suffers from the shotgun approach and only relic and CA have produced truly great games from it, which you would have guessed in advance.

Relic could make Dawn of (star) Wars. Give a pile of money to the Rebel Galaxy guys to turn that star wars concept demo into something real. Remedy can make what they are making now. Also reboot podracing and Rebellion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Long as it's something more than mashing attack constantly to sweep through every encounter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I bet you meet Starkiller.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All I really want is the mass effect trilogy and all dlc to be bundled together in a single cheap package, particularly as that's what started this dumb EA split in the first place.

E: oh and for this to be a good star wars game

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 14, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seriously, did nobody here watch Gotham?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm a strong believer that that Rocksteady Arkham-Batman branch of this genre is more fun than the souls/sekiro branch. The Batman and LotR games have shown it's perfectly possible to set up a world where enemies respawn constantly without it feeling remotely strange, and you don't have to give up a strong narrative experience to do it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boz0r posted:

A thing I think most Star Wars games have missed since Dark Forces 2 is the gigantic areas. I loved that huge fueling station where you had to climb aboard a freighter ship that would later crash, or the imperial tower that took like half a minute to fall down off. I hope a sequel to Fallen Order brings back something like that, and a space station/city world. I kept hoping to go back to Bracca.

It might be nostalgia, but I've felt this is something games in general lost when the first gen xbox appeared and suddenly the cross-platform ram budget shrank considerably and got fixed to console ram specs thereafter (yes, Halo is an exception).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JBP posted:

I've never understood why TLJ is considered some egregious insult to star wars while TFA is considered "fine" by and large. TFA seems like a far more heartless use of the IP. You know, at least TLJ tries.

The Star Wars films are at core stories about an ensemble cast going on an adventure together, with the Jedi character having to step slightly aside from the others because of their SPECIAL DESTINY. TLJ does the SPECIAL DESTINY thing but then tries to pretend it isn't doing it (you can't try and tell the audience that Rey isn't special when she's the character the title of the film is secretly about), but then even worse and it's real crime is that the rest of the cast are scattered into a series of individual bitty plots that go nowhere.

In Empire Han, Leia and Chewie spend the film achieving nothing other than running from the Empire, getting tortured by the Empire, then escaping from the Empire, but the film uses that time to develop the relationship between the characters while Luke is having his training montage. TLJ does nothing to move the relationship between the not-Rey characters forwards while having exactly the same functional plot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s honestly a great game mechanic and I wish it saw more widespread adoption, it’s a great way to penalize death without resulting in a game over.

It’s like calling every platformer a Mario-Lite for having jumping and a score.

I'd say that yes it's great, with the caveat that when you do it you completely destroy any sense of immersion in a 'real' world that reacts to my presence as a player. I don't care about your characters, I don't care about your story, because I know that the whole game world resets the moment I reach a save point.

I think that's a completely legitimate choice for a game designer to make, but it needs to be made with an awareness of what it being lost and how it limits you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

...dying in the first place doesn’t do this?

No because when I load my saved game it's rewinding the clock on the whole game world. Immersion doesn't mean I believe the game is literally real, it's that persuading me that that the world that the game presents exists with its own internal consistency and that if I change something in that world then it will stay changed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I get what you're saying, but of all the complaints about FO in this thread I think that's the one I'm struggling to understand most. Like...that just seems inherent to being a game. Are there really enough other large-scale action/adventure games that present that level of continuity for it to be a noticeable thing that they're leaving out? I can't even think of any off the top of my head that don't respawn or reset the world somehow as you move through, whether or not it's at the touch of a "heal" button.

I think Tomb Raider is the one I'd think of that is extremely similar (right down to the campfire as save points) but different in this respect. And that's a game that very much leans into having a strong central narrative and characterisation where you will only ever play though a sequence once, rather than on gameplay that's intended to be repeated over and over.

e: or The Witcher 3 - that's a game that understands you can't just reset the bandits you just killed on the road or the monster nest you just blew up.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 2, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Got a source for that? I've only seen it as an after the fact fan-justification.

I don't think it matters. But to reiterate - I don't think this is bad choice, it's just one that narrows the game's focus on gameplay mechanics in exchange for not being able to do so much with story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Especially given it's likely to draw a Jedi Master and the guy that just killed (?) Seventh Sister.

I just finished it too, I share the issues with the combat being a bit off, but it told a worthwhile piece of SW lore in a fun way.

Would love them to make combat a bit more polished and fair next go around, and it puts them in an interesting spot story-wise:

They need to ultimately excuse Cal and co from the Skywalker saga, but there's time before the Rebels emerge as a unified thing.

I'd quite like to play on the other side as an Inquisitor, might be some fun customisation scope and I'm getting into those characters and the aesthetic. Might be a way to remove Cal, downer though that would be. sure Merrin will be pregnant with his kid by then, just to make him even more like Kanan.

Sequel closing cutscene spoiler:
"he has your eyes"
"Let's name him Kyle. Kyle kestis"
"I changed my name to kestis to hide from the empire. Now it doesnt matter anymore we can use my father's name. Kyle Katarn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Shadow is good but I felt the big central hub village thing really slows things down :(

Yeah I'm playing through it now and literally spent a session just doing the first entry to the hub village because it's so slow.

My current view is that while they're all enjoyable games, the first one is the best. The setting is the most interesting, the plot is solid and develops well, and there's a range of decent characters. The sequels get steadily a bit more messy in all of those departments, and I think the bits where they try to fiddle with the mechanics really have the end result of taking something that was quite neat and streamlined in the first game and adding mess in order to make it look like there's 'something new'.