Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Who the gently caress doesn't remember Jedi Knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

JBP posted:

ok boomer

:negative:

I've become what I hate. :smith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

One of the Game Informer guys said that the game encouraged defensive combat, and then showed footage of someone trying to brute force their way way through a stormtrooper squad and get lit up. Looks like blocking/deflecting are really important.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

note that this is a game journalist playing this so your average person could probably hack and slash their way thru the game with little trouble

No, the guys in the video said that part was footage provided by Respawn.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

97-05 was like the best run of licensed games ever made. Dark forces II/Dark forces III Jedi Knight II/Dark Forces IV Jedi Knight III Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron I/II/Most of III, KOTOR I/II, Episode I Racer, just endless piles of good star wars games. I'd put the streak to the early 90's if there wasn't a run of dogshit between Tie Fighter and DFII.

Trying to think what was in-between TIE Fighter DFII. Rebel Assault II and uhhh, Yoda Stories?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

The start of the Nintendo next gen star wars games - Shadows of the Empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQXFRV8T40

Maybe we'll see another rogue squadron game one day

man what a rabbit hole, had no idea there was a toy line for Shadows of the Empire but ofc there is complete with a mark hamil voice over on the commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcdfK3DrJNQ

Shadows of the Empire was wild. It had a novel, young adult novel, comic book, toy line, video game and even an original score . Too bad that it was pretty terrible (I do have a soft spot for Dash and the Outrider, though.)

Edit: Back on track, I'll probably pick this up after I finish DS and alternate between it and Shenmue III.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 15, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Really enjoying this so far. Currently on Zeffo, and I'm finally getting the hang of the combat and feeling pretty badass taking down stormtrooper squads. Cal is growing on me. He's still bland as gently caress looking but I like his interactions with BD.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just reached Kashyyyk. I really liked the opening sequence.
The stormtroopers melted to their seats in the AT-AT was absolutely brutal looking.

Also hopped back to Bogano to see if I can access new areas with Force Push and I got a double bladed saber upgrade. That was cool as gently caress.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just finished. Very solid, and I would love to see Respawn do a sequel that improves on this one and/or some other Star Wars action game.

Love how the goal with Vader is to just get the gently caress away, and I was pleasantly surprised the ending was relatively happy and not "and then everyone died to Vader." I'm really sad Merrin wasn't introduced earlier. She's great, and I wanted to see her and Cal/the crew interact more. She should be playable in DLC/a sequel.

Cal grew on me as a character despite coming off as extremely bland at the beginning of the game and I liked him by the end. BD-1, Cere and Greez were also a lot of fun.

One small thing I liked about the game was the song that plays at the beginning of the game and the monster arena.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClA02j0Yoo

I like hearing takes of "in-universe" music, and between this and the score in The Mandalorian, I'm digging how Star Wars music isn't just trying to be John Williams' score anymore.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah. that song is played by a real band. they are Mongolian metal band that combine throat singing and metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Yo that's awesome, I need to check their stuff out.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

It's fun to look for the thematic parallels between this and KOTOR II. "Jedi dogma is kind of messed up" and "What does it mean to fall?" stood out for me. Might be some others I might have missed.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Makes sense, since Chris Avellone helped with some of the writing

Malicos is definitely his character carryover into the new canon

Oh yeah, he's definitely the Kreia-esque libertarian rear end in a top hat Jedi.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Playable Cere and Merrin when

I hope the devs take cues from players enjoying magic builds in Elden Ring and give Merrin a bunch of fun Force powers.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, I wasn't sold on Cal at first, but seeing his interactions with BD started to turn things around for me.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I hope one of the new fighting styles is a lightsaber/blaster hybrid.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'm excited they're bringing back the hidden cliff wampa from Shadows of the Empire.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

For Kyle to return, there'd have to be someone out there making Star Wars stuff who cares enough about him to drag him forward into the new canon. I dun think that person exists, sadly.

The fact that the Bryar pistol still exists means that someone cares about Dark Forces. Star Wars: Squadrons made the bulk freighters from the original X-Wing game canon, and Solo made loving Teräs Käsi canon. They're not afraid to make some deep cuts, even from the old video games. I think Kyle has a chance in some form eventually.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 12, 2023

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dillbag posted:

I forgot about Teras Kasi. I laughed out loud in the theater when it was mentioned and immediately felt like a giant nerd.

That was pretty much my reaction as well. I'm very mixed about Solo, but I love that it re-canonized that of all things out of nowhere.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Biplane posted:

I thought masters of teras kasi was literally the best thing in the world when I was like, 9. :smith:

I didn't have a PS1 as a kid, but I'm pretty sure it would have been the first game I would get if I had one. I would still be down for a fighting game. I had so much fun with the Star Wars guest characters in Soul Calbur IV.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

gently caress yeah, Cal and Merrin team attacks!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I want to see Merrin trolling enemies by spamming emotes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

A bunch of previews just dropped but the only thing that really matters is that you can make Cal look like this

:allears:

Cal looking like an 80s pro-wrestler rules.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Torrannor posted:

It's a great trailer. Seeing Merrin is great. A lot of good callbacks in there, too. A lot of what we see and hear of the game makes me hopeful it will be really good. I can't wait to play it!

I'll admit I popped at the homage to the Droidekas rolling up in Episode 1.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

One of the achievements reveals that "Refresher" is canon for bathroom again. That's a huge confirmation.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Asteroid Alert posted:

Wonder if the issues are present on the XSX version.

GameSpot's reviewer mentioned technical issues on the Series X including a crash during a difficult fight that lost a lot of progress.

Sounds like the PC version is also full of issues so I guess I'll hold off until they get patched out. Really disappointing to hear, because otherwise the impressions are positive enough that I would have definitely picked the game up Day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

EA: We're working on it, we swear
https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651294688786403329?t=uWGNezgN9gfloQAnk27WJA&s=19