Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone heard how it plays with mouse & keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There have been some good Warhammer 40k games of late. In particular Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus by BULWARK, a small French studio.

I actually think opening up the license similiar to GW would be pretty cool, hopefully with some better quality control though. I like seeing what different studios do with the license, at the very least we've gotten a bunch of different genres of Warhammer games were as with EA we've gotten what? 3 big games in the past decade, 2 of them Battlefront games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I already pre-ordered it because I am desperate for new Star Wars games and it actually looks good.

I will not respond to your hate PMs

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

Review Embargo isn’t up until Thursday night.

Also I just went to preorder this on Amazon and it was down to $50 for me.

Oh cool. I just pre-ordered it for PS4. Going to cancel my Steam pre-order then, kinda was leaning towards that anyways cause I wanna play on my big screen with a DS4 controller.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's my review.

I pre-ordered this game so it had better be good or I will have to take the drastic steps of returning it to Amazon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Swooping in to say "EA is bad, no pre-orders!" is the low hanging fruit of Games forum.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ahem, excuse me but it was IG-11 not IG-88.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bought a 500 GB SSD drive for my PS4 years ago and it makes a huge difference. When I play games online with my friends I load into matches in half the time or better than them which for some games Battlefield/Battlefront it makes a difference.

I expect it'll help with load times for Fallen Order too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Doesn't Battlefield make you wait on X number of people per team before you can even move? That's how it works on PC and you still might have to wait depending on whether someone on the other team is using SSD or HDD. Maybe they didn't put the wait buffer in on consoles. Battlefront is the same way. I'm not sure how loading into a match faster so you can wait on everyone else's HDDs is beneficial. If that wait buffer is not in either of the Dice games you mentioned, then I guess congratulations on spending almost as much as a decent gaming PC solely to capture a flag before other people load into the game.

At least in Battlefield you can pick your class/vehicle as soon as you load in so it is a huge advantage getting the load out you want before everyone else loads in.

It may help with black screen loading times but SSDs won't help consoles with texture pop-in because 1.) 8GB shared RAM means it has to swap out data more often and 2.) the games are programmed with specific sets of hardware in mind, meaning the game likely doesn't know it can pull data faster. Definitely varies on a per-game basis. I'd argue that the overwhelming majority of console games are unaffected by an upgrade from HDD to SSD.

The software isn't going to know anything about data transfer rates, it makes a call to load something into memory from disk and when it's done it's done. If that happens faster the game can move on to doing the next thing it was waiting on the transfer for, it's interrupt driven. An SSD should in general help with texture popping to some degree because it can load in those textures faster, you may still notice a popping effect but it should be resolved sooner than with an HDD.

There are some instances where an SSD may not help much but in general having a faster drive will always be better than a slower one. Also I'd be very suprised if an external USB drive SSD or HDD is ever faster than an internal SSD. SATA is far higher bandwidth than USB.

Also SSDs really aren't very expensive, if you're really on a shoe string budget I'd say get at least a hybrid drive but if you can afford it a 500GB SSD is like $60 these days.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The PS4's CPU doesn't have instruction sets for proper multitasking, making all bottlenecks interrupt driven. I do agree with all your other points, though. USB 3.0 ports allow for 5 Gbps bandwidth and SATA II tops out at 3 Gbps so depending on whether the external uses a SATA III adapter or SATA II, the USB enclosure could very well outperform the internal SSD, strangely enough. Pro has even more bandwidth with it's 3.1 port. I think the CPU is still the limiting factor in getting a 600 Mbps SSD to run at those speeds, though.

What do you mean by instruction sets for multitasking? That's purely an operating system construct, the system has to have multitasking or it would run terribly. Depending on what is being loaded they may still be bottle necked waiting on data to transfer from the drive though, such as in the case of loading an entire level.

If the original PS4 has USB 3.0 directly to the CPU and not bridged to SATA somehow than I could see it being faster than just SATA II.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to get home and watch Mandalorian and then play this game. Hurry up stupid clock.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m still waiting for my game to be delivered because Amazon release day delivery loving sucks for me. The last 3 games I got delivered on release day came a day late.

I cancelled my Steam pre-order and ended up getting it thru Amazon for the $10 off. But I did it on Wednesday which was a bit of a gamble and I was afraid they might not deliver it today but I have it sitting at my desk at work staring at me and making this day drag on forever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm surprised this many people are still getting physical copies tbh.

You can just download it, guys!

It's $10 off pre-order for physical copies with Amazon Prime.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hammerstein posted:

Why not get an Origin Pass for one month? This is a one playthrough game. Maybe replay an especially good spot, but there's no branching story or anything that would warrant multiple playthroughs.

I'm really slow at video games these days and I don't like the idea of having the pressure to finish it in a month. I got the $1 Gamepass for Outer Worlds and I'm still only like 2 hours in, but admittedly it really hasn't hooked me so I doubt I'll renew Gamepass beyond this month to finish it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Okeedokee about to play another two or three hours of this strap yourselves in for unbiased information.

Please buy a can of compressed air

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Will that make the supporting character on the space ships eyes stop vibrating in her skull during cutscenes

Yes but you have to spray it into the USB port when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So is the recommendation to play on Jedi Master difficulty? I've not played Dark Souls or Sekiro, but I'm perfectly fine at video games in general.