Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JBP posted:

You can collect outfits and lightsaber bits in the game.

Yeah, I'm hoping there'll be a lot of those, because to me the protagonist just looks like the dumbest gently caress. To crib from some guy on twitter, his face just looks like his inner monologue is just the sound of a lightsabre humming. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I don’t begrudge them trying to tell a new story with characters they develop, but Cal’s “back story” feels incredibly phoned in with the most unbelievable guilt saddled on.

Also I had a moment when after the first 2nd Sister fight she starts villainously monologuing at you about how Cere is a snitch and will betray you and I’m like “lady you are literally wearing a flowing black cloak, I’m not about to switch sides, you are so transparently the villain in every way”

Like I just wished we got a Star Wars story that didn’t have to almost by definition have to make sense to literal 8 year olds. The force should be more nuanced than this.

I mean, honestly, I kinda dig the 2nd sister. She's just so devoted to her goth badgirl style, I have to admire it. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Functionally equivalent since the max number of stims is 10.

Ahaha oh my god, I never got more than 4. No wonder the final Dojo fight was something of a pain. :allears:

But anyway, just got through it, and overall liked it quite a bit in terms of gameplay. The main issue I have is that the combat kind of seemed to lose its unique dynamic towards the very end. The thing I really liked about the combat earlier on is that it basically abides by "turns", similar to a fighting game. If you land an attack it's your turn, and you get to stay on the offensive until you've finished your combo or get countered somehow, because your enemy is forced to block rather than be able to launch attacks on their own.

Fallen Order does just that, usually with a Parry being the thing that switches turns around. And especially during the first half of the game that works really well, it makes for a nice back and forth that rewards playing aggressively. It also lets you feel real smug once you learn to parry counter-attacks, which basically means you continually deny the enemy their turns. But it feels like towards the end that dynamic kind of gets lost, particularly in the dojo fight. You're surrounded by so many enemies that you don't really get to capitalize on your turn, and are often forced out of it by external attacks. Worse, some enemies just don't care about turns and spontaneously launch uninterruptible attacks while you're wailing on them. So at that point you're not really taking charge anymore, but more stuck dodging around in circles waiting out enemy attack patterns until you can get in a single little hit or two. It still sort of works, but really not nearly as well.

But enough complaining, one surprisingly fun part was of the game Trilla. Perhaps it's just because Cal is such a void of character, but I enjoyed every time she was on screen. She's just so into it! She walks around like a ludicrously grimdark and over-the-top stereotype, but she just owns that poo poo with such panache that I can't help but love it. It might have taken horrible torture and indoctrination, but this is the look of a lady who has found her thing and is loving it.