Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Friendly Fire posted:

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

I agree that a Star Wars game doesn’t need limbs flying off everywhere, but are you loving high? Dark Forces II:Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II were released to universal acclaim when they came out. They’re still really good at what they do, and nothing else has really had map design on the ball-bustingly hard but high quality level that they had since.

I preordered this on Steam. I don’t know why but I haven’t done that “use a game pass service for a new AAA game” thing yet, I think it just feels like something where my access could vanish without warning or something, even though I know that’s actually unlikely.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's really not like Call of Duty at all. There are no killstreaks or deathstreaks and there are literally huge robots running around and there is massive amounts of movement tech that you need to be able to do in order to compete. It is MUCH closer to the movement-based shooters circa Quake than Call of Duty, just with low TTK.

A lot of the time it felt more like Tribes than anything else, especially when you and an enemy both had non-hitscan weapons and were both trying to hit each other while both parties frantically moved in three dimensions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm not touching another game from EA and neither should anyone else.

I dont get the point of running into a thread to say "I'm not buying this game, bye!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheAnomaly posted:

it's actually become the industry standard now, sadly. They're more worried about reviewers talking about whatever half-cocked monetization stream they've added in and pissing off the playerbase enough to start a boycott.

and almost every game has a half-cocked monetization scheme, although this one looks like it will be all cosmetics for jedi-dress up.

The new Ghost Recon had people lose their poo poo over micro transactions making for a whole new progression system for guns... and then the game had the same progression system as wildlands, and there were no actual loot boxes, so I kinda get it. Microtransactions are bad, but people do tend to blow them out of proportion no matter how they’re implemented.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The way I see it, it can’t be any worse of a purchase than RDR2, embargo or not. That game got glowing reviews but everything about the actual gameplay drove me nuts.

If this is mediocre, as long as it has some kind of appeal, I’ll enjoy a fair amount of time with it. All it has to do is have some kind of gameplay conceit that’s actually fun, and I trust Respawn to do that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

black.lion posted:

Hmm for whatever reason it's not letting me launch this while "visiting" New Zealand - I'm using Tunnel Bear and Steam, anyone else got it to work for them?

Actually kind of a good thing, now I'll make it to work on time, but I did want to jump in and fiddle with graphics settings to see how it looks on my busted old 970

No luck for me either, using nordVPN and Steam. The steam store page still shows the countdown until it comes out on the east coast of the US.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ZZZorcerer posted:

:negative:

10 hours to go

I am so glad I don't have work tonight or tomorrow, I'm gonna boot this up til midnight and play it crazy stupid late. My dumb night shift sleep cycle pays off sometimes!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warad posted:

Stormies losing arms would have been the most I'd have done, even Jedi Knight 1 had that in all its 10 polygon goodness. Everyone throws Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy around for g_saberrealisticcombat but even they defaulted to arms without that command activated.

Now if there isn't a purple color option for Cal's saber, that's when the real controversy starts.

The arm chopping without the command on was also pretty rare, which made it cool when it did happen.

Gaaah decrypt this poo poo faster, Steam! I want to be playing it right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo this game is gorgeous. I’m getting 60 FPS on epic settings with an i7/1660 ti laptop and it’s CGI movie quality. Not just in technical effects, the art design going on in the shipbreaking yard was top-notch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ahaha, in the movement tutorial, your Jedi master tells you “faster, more intensity” if you gently caress up, which was basically the main directors note Lucas gave during the prequels that drove the cast nuts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Who dismembered you?

From what he was talking about earlier, it sounds like someone dismembered either his PS4’s hard drive or RAM.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Joe Gillian posted:

If you're not aping from Revengeance you done goofed the gently caress up.

Sticking too close to that formula is begging for people to bitch about how you didn’t do it exactly the same.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

It's possibly the best Star Wars game since the golden era of the 90's and early 2000's but It's not like I'm going to spend years of my life playing this like I did with Rogue Squadron or JK2.

97-05 was like the best run of licensed games ever made. Dark forces II/Dark forces III Jedi Knight II/Dark Forces IV Jedi Knight III Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron I/II/Most of III, KOTOR I/II, Episode I Racer, just endless piles of good star wars games. I'd put the streak to the early 90's if there wasn't a run of dogshit between Tie Fighter and DFII.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bloodplay it again posted:

It's because UE4 needs more bandwidth to stream high res assets than the 5200 RPM HDDs in the consoles can handle. It's also why there are so many crawly spaces that slow down the gameplay a tad. The loading screens in the giant bomb quickplay were significantly longer than I'm seeing on an SSD and the only tweak I had to make was to change it to exclusive fullscreen. 6700k & 980 ti able to handle 60+ FPS at 1440 on max settings.

With the baseline PS4 it may actually help to put the game on an external, there's something about the actual data transfer speeds on the internal drive in there that is slower than doing an external over USB for some reason. I always got way better load times on my external with my PS4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PunkBoy posted:

Trying to think what was in-between TIE Fighter DFII. Rebel Assault II and uhhh, Yoda Stories?

Some crap strategy games, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SweetBro posted:

On a scale from Jedi Knight to Star Wars The Old Republic, how goes does hitting someone with a lightsaber feel?

Jedi Knight. It fucks them up good, lots of stuff gets one-shot, and it leaves a burning trail on them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I never tried playing with a M+KB because I couldn’t imagine that going well. This game definitely needs the sticks/face buttons/triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Especially with new consoles coming out that aren’t powered by basically netbook CPUs. The graphics card has some life left but that CPU is going to be a problem in basically everything soon.